Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

LOST DRAGON's Atari Related Articles, Interviews and Links

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

Hello there  :)

This thread will be a place to find all of LOST DRAGON's articles, interviews and links. I hope you find them informative and enjoy the posts! 

Some of you might be familar with myself, as i've assisted the likes of Atari Gamer and ST Gamer, not to mention Classic Console Magazine, Unseen64 and GTW with various research based material.

Wondered if you'd like a quick read through one of my latest dabblings, chatted to Mr Pete Lyon, who for myself was a key pioneer in the early ST days if not later and since i'd not seen him intereviewd, thought i'd drop hom a line.

Enjoy:

My Interview with: Pete Lyon, Artist on Fright Night, Airball etc: http://www.grumpyold...lyon-interview/

• The Professor, Greyfox, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

Here's another blast from my past  :)

Had been after John ever since i read the (false) claim in The Games Machine, John was converting Druid II to the A8.

John talks A8/ST era if your interested.

My John Crud Interview: http://www.grumpyold...oudy-interview/

• The Professor, Greyfox and Rowsdower70 like this

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Howdy Lost Dragon, and welcome!   

Thanks for sharing this with us.   I love learning about the ST because I grew up a Commodore kid.

I know there's some folks here that are BIG fans, so you're in the right place. :thumb:

• The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:12 PM

Last thing i want to do is create multiple threads  :)

But for those who like to read up on industry insights, what happened to games X,Y and Z on various Atari formats, plenty to pick through if you follow this link:

Misc A8/ST/7800/Jaguar interviews: http://www.retrogame...php?f=6&t=50063

I'm not a serious Jurno (as you'll soon find out) just do these to support the community and i share them for free, do them in my spare time for free, so spelling etc might be little rough.

• The Professor, Greyfox and Rowsdower70 like this

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:05 PM

(Again) huge thanks for the very warm welcome..means a lot.

It's my hope that by sharing the (dare i say it) 'European' side of Atari, via these interviews, readers from USA etc might get a clearer picture of what went on...

1st thing you'll soon get used to is basically take UK Magazine claims from the time with a hefty dose of salt, so much printed as fact, was in fact utter rubbish.

I'm working on a certain something with GTW that i think just might be of interst to the good folks in the USA, but it's a good while off yet.

Much good work has been done, it just needs GTW to write an article from the very raw material i've sent, but accuraccy wise, lot of sources contacted.

• The Professor, MaximumRD, Greyfox and 1 other like this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:06 PM

Up until now the ramblings I've been passing off as interviews have all been free to view online or a free magazine PDF file.

I was very proud to be asked to help contribute to a few paid for publications, including Atari Gamer (my warm up act :) ) and ST Gamer Issue 1 and Issue 2 (where I 1st got serious about going after the industry figures)

See my work in the Atari Gamer Magazine Series Collection: http://www.Atarigamer.co.uk/

In amongst the more light hearted stuff (Lost games, ST Triva etc) you'll find the following interviews by myself, all exclusive for the magazine:

• Darryl Still (Atari UK PR Manager) in Issue 1
  • Colin Porch (Head Over Heels 1+2)
  • Dan Clapson
  • Terry Greer in a superb Most Wanted feature
  • Peter Johnson (Robocop etc) talking about his ST and Jaguar work.

Please, if you can, support these magazines, they are great VFM and we put a lot into them, vol 2 espically, in terms of trying to deliver content the mainstream press passed over and just treated the ST as a poor mans Amiga. So, if you want the scoops, you know where to look.

• The Professor, DeLorean, Greyfox and 1 other like this

#7 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

There's also a thread about ST Gamer here: http://forums.atari....gamer-magazine/

• The Professor, Greyfox and Lost Dragon like this

#8 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:53 AM

Firstly, thank you Lost Dragon, you were an epicentre to the magazine thanks to your tireless efforts in helping me produce them. Lost Dragon has continuously went from strength to strength in his efforts to locate those time and community had forgotten and gave them a new breath of fresh air to once again talk about their pasts. Which is still happening today with his brand new interviews. Expect to hopefully see allot more of them in the future.

Thanks everyone.
  • The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Greyfox (and sorry Delorean, if you want to merge these posts in that thread, i'd be grateful).

Not sure people should expect a 'lot more' :-) as whilst there are several more to come in Classic Console magazine, a few for GTW, snippets/quotes set aside specifically for the Unseen64 book and indeed another Atari interview just landed in my Gmail inbox this morning.....

I've pretty much reached out to everyone i wanted and whilst i have 5 or 6 i'm keeping fingers crossed to come back in, i've had to call time on numerous interviews that were sent out, that despite repeated assurances, people simply don't have time to respond too, which is understandable when you look at the projects they are involved in these days.

I'm just eternally grateful to those who have responded and likes of Greyfox, Unseen64, Frank Gasking at GTW, Josh at Classic Console, Hal over at Grumpy Old Gamers etc etc for not only giving the interviews a platform, but for driving me on to do more.

If the general Atari scene like them, i'll continue to see what i can do.

• The Professor and Greyfox like this

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

This will most likely be the last A8 interview i do  :(

It's a sad fact of life so few coded on the A8 range here in the UK and even when i do find coders they did little more than convert games from the C64, which don't really make for fantastic reading, so consider this my swan sing A8 interview.

My Interview with: Christopher Murray (Henry's House, Mirax Force, The Last Guardian etc): http://www.grumpyold...rray-interview/

I cannot thank Chris enough for providing not only the answers, but the photo's as well. The man is a scholar and a gent.

• The Professor, Greyfox, Atari Adventure Square and 2 others like this

#11 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:19 PM

I like these stories. It's really refreshing to see how receptive these people are to talking about how they were able to do what did. Thanks for sharing!
  • The Professor, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#12 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

I'd say the vast majority of the people i've approached have been utterly fantastic.

There have of course been a few 'bumps in the road' along the way, won't be naming names for obvious reasons :-), but...i've had at least 1 person who wanted to use interview to promote himself/his company and completely unwilling to discuss what happened to any of the many abandoned games over the years.

A good few i myself have cancelled-in these cases, contact was made, questions sent over (and they do take a while to think up) then either nothing heard at all or i'd chase, be promised something by...nothing arrives and then you just move on.

If your lucky you take a sideways approach, try someone else who worked on project, get an alt. viewpoint.

The 1 area you do have to be careful of how you approach, is the lost/canned games..many people lost money, invested blood, sweat and tears etc into games that were canned through no fault of their own and it's a painful time to look back on.They are'nt the good old days, people were often working long hours for little pay, got screwed over for payments etc etc.It's still a very cut throat buisness out there.

I've just always gone in with an open and honest approach, explained who i am (a nobody) and who i'm asking questions on behalf of and why...and here's a few examples of past interviews and if you'd like to chat/can spare the time, we'd be delighted to hear from you......

And the responses speak for themselves i hope.

I honestly am eternally grateful to everyone from within the industry who went out of their way to answer my emails, provide source material like old concept sketches, photo's etc to go with the answers, to vouch for me to other contacts in the industry etc etc.

The fact others appreciate the interviews just rounds everything off nicely.

Sad side is so much material has now been lost due to storage mediums being thrown out, disk failures etc and many i'd loved to of put questions too have sadly passed away :-(.

• The Professor, Greyfox, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

#13 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

I am amazed that many of them did respond. I think that part of this is they want to share this before it's lost. These men and women worked hard to make something to entertain us. I hope for more success for your interviews and these programmers see that we really do love what they did. I appreciate your efforts!
  • The Professor, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

Yep, i get that kinda vibe as well AlamoAtari, it's often something of a now or never type thing.

To many of 'todays' gamers who started out on Nes, Genesis, SNES etc earlier systems mean little or nothing, they are simply too obscure so people are'nt going to ask about niche formats (here in UK at least).

There have been a few so close yet so far incidents, Bill Rehbock (back in the early groundwork days for ST Gamer Vol 1) wanted to do a SKYPE interview, but both myself and Greyfox were working, i forwarded the Q's to Bill via email, nothing, Darryl Still even chased him up on my behalf, nothing...so that was that.

People have pulled out due to ill health (major surgery etc), 1 Saturn coder happy to chat as long as i met him at E3 in USA in at a set place+time.

Lord knows how, but i struck lucky with Lobotomy where Unseen64 had tried, failed, ditto Jaguar Conan coder, others had approached, i gave it a shot and bingo.

I've just been very lucky and it's a privilage to share the interviews on here.

• The Professor, Greyfox and AlamoAtari like this

#15 Doctor Octagon

Doctor Octagon

• 483 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:58 PM

Greyfox is a member of this site as well, I'd love to see him share more of his stories. 

• The Professor, Greyfox, AlamoAtari and 1 other like this

#16 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Greyfox is a member of this site as well, I'd love to see him share more of his stories. 

Damn straight.

I wish he'd jot down his experience of how Atari attempted to capture the Irish market and how active the Irish scene was, A8 onwards wise.Be great to get his perspective documented.

• The Professor and Greyfox like this

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

As i'm sure many of you were aware, there were claims (in UK Press at least) that Atari had secured a deal that meant various 3DO games by E.A were headed to the Jaguar (likes of Fifa, WC3, Road Rash and Need For Speed).

UK Magazine GamesMaster had said the info came direct from Atari, so i put the question to Atari UK P.R Manager, Darryl Still and here is his reply:

"Hi Ross,

No, this is not all completely new to me. We spoke to EA in depth about doing FIFA, but they declined to support the Jaguar, so I doubt that these stories have any substance.

D"

So, yet another UK Magazine claim regarding support for Atari put to bed....

Bit on triva on the whole Fifa not appearing on Jaguar:

Al Bodin and Darryl Still ended up porting Fever Pitch because they could not get EA to buy in and do FIFA, and badly needed a Soccer game on the format.

Just thought i'd share the above, help clear up the wheat from the chaff regarding more so-called lost Jaguar games

Edited by Lost Dragon, 17 October 2015 - 02:03 AM.

• Doctor Octagon, The Professor and Greyfox like this

#18 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

From my email chat with Carlo Perconti regarding what became of Conan (Jaguar):

We got involved developing on the jaguar after we met some key people at

one of the CES show in LasVegas (I do not recall who exactly). Lyes and

I we were impressed by the concept of the GPU Jaguar, an unique list

processor which could allow huge sprites to be drawn on screen and which

broke the limitation of number of hardware sprites on 1 video line like

We used to have back then on the SNES. So at first We decided to develop

a new graphic engine based on multiple layer of sprites on PC, then

through Arcade Zone We got access to one of the Jaguar Hardware and then

We started to port the beginning of a “first possible” level of what We

wanted to demonstrate based on a CONAN character (but really it was only

to show up the engine, no license was signed yet at that time). For

sure, back to that period,  We got many inspiration from the Big Coin-Up

Arcade titles like GoldenAxe and alike…….

#19 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:58 PM

Results of my investigations into Creature Shock Jag CD can be read (follow the posts :-) ) HERE:

#20 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

Jeff Minter talking to Tal Funke-Bilu, about why he never did any Lynx development (sadly):

'Jeff:At the time it came out I would have killed to write Lynx games.

However Llamasoft wasn't a big enough company to sustain the cost of

developing and publishing our own games on ROM, and I didn't know of

any larger companies who would let me do the kind of games I wanted to

do - so I carried on with the ST.'

So any claims he worked on Ultra star Raiders should be put to bed.

Jeff Minter ‏@llamasoft_ox  29m

@The_Jeremy No. I would've loved to've worked on an official SR port but I never got to do anything at all on Lynx 

Regarding missing Lynx version of Rolling Thunder:

Joel Seider is credited with 'Art' on Lynx version of Rolling Thunder.I did drop him an email about it months ago, never heard anything back though.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 17 October 2015 - 02:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users