Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

LOST DRAGON's Atari Related Articles, Interviews and Links

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#161 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:35 AM

Your doing fantastic work my friend, you really are.

Once the 3rd memory stick is sent, that'll be it, everything passed on.

#162 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:04 AM

All will become clear once article is done/up, but crossed off another source i had Q's sat with for the GTW article and general Atari related Lost Games, who i did consider chasing, until i saw an interview they'd done many years ago and their memory seemed (understandably) very, very hazy...

Impressive C.V of work, but Atari formats listed were incorrect for at least 1 unreleased game.

There was another Atari game listed as released on...sadly it was never finished, let alone released and then a title that was finished/released was listed as never having made it.

The idea behind the research is to try and clear up claims, IF possible, a job seemingly getting harder by the year as folks pass away, memory gets muddled and thus getting crystal clear information is nigh on impossible, but what i'd rather NOT do is:

Muddy waters even further by printing uncut versions of answers, even when i know where folks are getting mixed up and also risk upsetting sources by saying, erm you mean the Atari...and erm, no that wasn't released, errr that was.....

So i'm looking long and hard at who is best suited to give the info i'm trying to find.

#163 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Ok, few more long shot emails sent out today.

Plus Facebook details of possible contact passed onto Frank...

But if i go the route of:

Ahhh person X lists A-Z on his/her online C.V, bloody ideal, i'll drop them a line about it, only to be told....

I don't recal/My memory is..Hazy/Rusty/Cloudly.............

I had no idea it was never released, i worked from home/submitted my code/graphics/music, never saw a finished product/was never paid/simply moved onto something else/erm which one was the Falcon/STE again?

Was the Jaguar the CD based console from Atari or the Cart based one? (both....)

Who on earth told you that?/where on earth did they get that idea from?

I'll openly weep :-)

On a more serious note, it is good to realise that just because an artist/coder/musician is listed in a games credits, it does NOT automatically mean they'll have essential information your after.

They were probably just 1 of a large team, might have been doing sub-contract work, so simply submitting assigned work, moving onto next project, had no idea/interest what became of game, long as they were paid, why should they of taken long term interest? etc etc.

ALL we do at GTW/Unseen64 is reach out, see what comes back in and SHARE findings for FREE.

#164 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

Wowza.

Just had a reply from a PROPER Jurnolist i contacted (to say huge thanks with regards a book of his i'd purchased, ploughed through, enjoyed and was loaning to a friend and also with regards to....) to see IF per chance he had contact details for someone Frank/myself would rather like to chat with for a project of ours......

And what a star, without even being told what our project was, he so very kindly not only passed on a contact for us to try (just emailed him) and forewarned us not to bother trying X+Y as from his, personal (and by that professional) status, he'd been warned off in 1 case..he got as far as a friend of person he wanted to speak to (and we considered) only to be be told, no point, he doesn't like to discuss the past (fair enough) and has a 'what's in it for me?' type attitude...not so good and not type of person we are looking for.

He also advised not to waste time on someone similar (not of use for this particular project, but i did consider for another Jaguar lead..) as he too wasn't keen on answering Q's.

See this is how research should be, give your fellow researchers info if you feel it will help, but also a heads up, this is a time consuming affair for a very niche 'market' so if you know who it's best off not trying to reach and why, you save yourself and others a lot in the long run.

#165 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

SNAIL MAIL WORKED!!!!!!!!

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your snail mail letter.

I would be happy to help if I can.

You may email me or if you give me your number I can call you at a mutually convenient time.

We are Green to go, Q's forwarded, ha, so much for Twitter, Skype, bloody FaceBook, never moind copy n paste crap from Wikip. (talking of which, i'm infamous, been described as a trouble maker/trollby ohhh i wonder who.... :rofl: but it's SILLIFANT thats with 2 L's not a single, and my spelling is pulled up? and it's Lost DRAGON, that's as in fantasy, fire breathing creature, Puff and the Magic type...who Lost SHOGUN is, i've NO idea....).

This makes a total of 24 people i've reached out to regarding the GTW article, around 5 i gave up in terms of ever getting a reply back from, even though they agreed to have Q's sent, another 5 i'm still waiting to hear from), so whatever else can be said this Lost Shogun, sorry, DRAGON :) has put the groundwork in.

• Clint Thompson likes this

#166 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

OMG, no seriousily OMG...

Replies to Q's from latest contact for the GTW article back ALREADY and i thought the info the 1st contact had was amazing, but this?

Phewwww, just....seriousily?

The insights into dealing with Atari alone (i was shaking my head in utter disbelief at decisions Atari made, trust me, because of them, we, the consumer, were robbed of so much) and the sheer arrogance of Atari...fantastic to read.

Lost Games? ohhh YES baby, multiple Atari formats? CHECK.

Just forwarded mini-interview to Frank to clean up, use alongside 1st.

If for any reason planned article never comes off, i'll see if WE cannot host them here as exclusives.

• RickR and Clint Thompson like this

#167 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

Never mind..will update later.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 06 July 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#168 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

Just had email from Robert Behn-Katz, Ex-Atari UK (so he joins Martin Walker, Darryl Still, Mike Fulton and the late Les Player, as folks kind enough to get back to me from Atari UK) and whilst he wasn't able to answer the Q's i put to him on certain matters, he has kindly given me contact details for someone who MIGHT be able to assist.

But since i'm getting out of research role, rather than chase them up myself, i've simply passed said details onto Unseen64+GTW.

• Clint Thompson likes this

#169 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

Just passed on names (and details of 1st person, 2nd i've no idea where he is/if still living even) of a further 2 people Unseen64/GTW MIGHT like to contact IF they plan to expand Jaguar/Lynx etc coverage.

I know a lot of people, inc myself long since stopped buying/subscribing to publications as it's same games, same formats, same bias, same names interviewed, same Q's asked and it gets stale, so IF there is a chance these people can be found, FRESH info obtained, job is indeed a Good 'Un :)

There's a US Gold contact that wasn't mentioned in recent History of US Gold book, around during Lynx/Jaguar era, he might be able to shed light on Atari's P.R annoucement that Strider 2/Rotox etc were headed to Lynx.

Strider II was awful on ST/MD/C64 from what i've played, although UK Pres seemed to like ST+ZX Spectrum versions and thus it's NOT somrthing i'd of welcomed on Lynx, the BIG CAT, didn't need rough old DOGS...

Rotox though, ideal for the hardware, but how it'd work at lower resolution and on smaller screen...i beg to wonder.

But anywho, i've done my bit, upto these guys what they do from here....

#170 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

Just reading through the 1st of the 2 books in A Gremlin In The Works (fantasic 1st book so far) and got as far as Micro Projects talking about their Commodore 16 work (great read already) and the topic of  Geoff Brown (US Gold) asking them to convert Daley Thompson's Decathlon to the C16, for Ocean to release ...which they DID as Daley Thompson's Star Events.....

But...Niether Gary Bracey, Ocean's Software Development Manager at the time, nor Dave Collier (C64 coder of D.T.D) could remember Micro Projects CREATING the game and nor are they actually credited in the game itself....

It's only thanks to Mark talking to:Anothony Clarke and Jason Perkins, we get to hear of the details.

I mention this, as here in the UK, the A8 was treated much the same as the C64, MSX, BBC, Electron etc, conversions simply farmed out, rather than done in house and Ocean for a start had little time/respect for the format and thus even when i've been lucky enough to chat to those who DID work on A8 games (Colin Porch/Simon Butler) i've not been able to find out what became of games Ocean advertised/annouced to UK Press like D.T's Supertest, Frankie Goes To Hollywood etc....

Edited by Lost Dragon, 05 August 2016 - 01:49 PM.

• Greyfox and Scott Stilphen like this

#171 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:58 PM

Ahhh, book goes onto mention how poorly C64 version of William Wobbler sold, which suggests why despite being finished, A8 version was never released, they must have thought it'd be a commercial disaster on A8...

Also Ian Stewart cannot recal ever being shown the ZX Spectrum version of Tempest, Dave Pridmore had written, which again showcases the nightmare of finding out what happened to..so many 8bit games, let alone A8 ones, as so many years have passed people simply have no recollection...

• Greyfox and RickR like this

#172 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:20 AM

Eeek, this is frustrating...

Nearing the end of Book 1 of A Gremlin In The Works (it really IS superb), Paul Blythe is interviewed (3D Galax, F.O.F.T etc on ST), some fantastic insights into F.O.F.T, espically what he had planned for the game, why it was SO bugged (blame  ATARI for changing the TOS), lost Apple II game etc etc....exactly the kinda info i hoped for....

But he mentions Codemasters wanting him to do some 'stuff' on the A8 range, but he didn't have time, sent his A8 dev.kit back (gasp), which whilst explaining perhaps why we saw so few A8 games from Codemasters (lack of avaiable A8 coders?) it doesn't explain which titles they were planning.

Of course it's more than likely Paul will have long since forgotten such A8 plans, i did notice some confusion, when he briefly talked of working on the Konix Multisystem, he described it as an 8bit console...whilst it did start out as such, using a Z80 CPU, final specs saw that replaced by the Intel 8086 CPU....

Understandable some confusion here as a lot of years passed....

Hopefully Mark can put Q to Paul on my behalf at some point....

Edited by Lost Dragon, 06 August 2016 - 09:13 AM.

• Greyfox and RickR like this

#173 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Wow, a lot of great info here!  Thanks Ross.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#174 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

What i've tried to do on Atari I.O is basically 'represent' the UK side of Atari, the best i can, shared each and every find/interview/email exchange etc as it's come in, basically build the UK Atari Jigsaw piece by piece.

Lot of community research, with leads followed up for likes of ST Gamer/Unseen64/GTW etc

Lot of frustration raised by the continous poor research done for UK Retro magazines by UK writers...

And just filled in the gaps best i could.

Some shocking gaps in terms of facts, key events/annoucements regarding the UK and the 5200/7800 in particular in likes of RetroGamer Magazines features over past few years.

How the UK writer overlooked the November '86 7800 showing in London/Atari UK's inital plans for it to replace the aging 2600 after the 5200 fell through, is beyond me, it's covered numerous tomes in UK Press games listed, prices of hardware, software, reports from CES, how far along various games were, who organised the UK Atari show, venue, dates, prices for tickets, you name it....

Reading the various articles you'd often be mistaken for thinking Atari simply clung onto the 2600 until XEGS appeared in their laps and said well, we'll use this to replace the VCS as the entry level console.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users