HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL - The Retroist Podcast

The Professor

post-7-0-93122100-1445799495_thumb.jpg

One of our favorite podcasts has a new episode online! This week's episode is about The House on Haunted Hill, the 1959 horror film directed by William Castle, written by Robb White and starring Vincent Price.

The film's plot depicts Vincent Price as eccentric millionaire Frederick Loren. He and his fourth wife, Annabelle, have invited five people to the house for a "haunted house" party. Whoever stays in the house for one night will earn $10,000. As the night progresses, all the guests are trapped inside the house with ghosts, murderers, and other terrors.

post-7-0-23558100-1445800092_thumb.jpg

The Blob was released on February 17, 1959 by William Castle Productions with famous promotional gimmick called "Emergo" Thanks in part to Castle's gimmickry, the film was a huge success. Alfred Hitchcock took notice of the low-budget film's performance at the box office, and set out to make his own low-budget horror film, which became the critically acclaimed hit Psycho (1960). Castle was himself a Hitchcock fan, and would try to imitate Hitchcock's work in later films such as Homicidal (1961).

The Retroist is a fantastic podcast, and it's long-been a personal favorite among the Atari I/O Moderators for many years. I hope you'll find the time this weekend to maybe put on a great game, tune in and listen to this great podcast. Maybe it'll become a weekend routine!

Listen to the Retroist Podcast here:

https://ia801502.us.archive.org/10/items/retroisthouseonhauntedhill/Retroist-193-House-on-Haunted-Hill.mp3

Subscribe:  iTunes  |  RSS  |  Support The Retroist Podcast

You can also search iTunes for Retroist Podcast, or visit The Retroist here:

http://www.retroist.com/2015/10/24/retroist-podcast-house-on-haunted-hill/

Here's what The Retroist had to say about the episode:

Retroist Podcast – Episode 193 – House on Haunted Hill

View this episode at The Retroist

On this episode of the show I talk about the Vincent Price/William Castle horror classic, “House on Haunted Hill”. I starts off by discussing my parents love of this film and how they introduced me to many things I didn’t understand at the time, but love now. Then I move on to the subject of our show. I talk about the cast, the crew, “Emergo”, the plot, the remake and much much more.

Music on the show was provided by Peachy (the Burt Bacharach of Wales), if you have musical needs, why not contact and “like” him on his Facebook Page.

If you have a moment please stop by iTunes or wherever you might download the show and perhaps give the show a quick rating. It is very much appreciated.

If you have any suggestions for topics you would like for me to cover in the future, email them to me at retroist@retroist.com. If you would like more retro fun, you can also follow me on the Twitter and on the Facebook.

Trivia: The film is perhaps best known for a famous promotional gimmick used in the film's original theatrical release called "Emergo." In some theaters that showed the film, William Castle placed an elaborate pulley system in the theater itself, which allowed a plastic skeleton to be flown over the audience at the appropriate time. In August and September 2010, the Film Forum in New York City had a revival of the film (along with several other Castle pictures) that included the original gimmicks. This was the first time since the late 1980s Film Forum had done this.

Archived