Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

PlayStation 2 in the US turns 15 today

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,272 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:25 PM

http://kotaku.com/in...dium=Socialflow

e73d2108c00446c2bdd18227a63a99a3.jpg

• greenween, LeeJ07, StormSurge and 2 others like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#2 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

I held off on picking this up on release date, mainly because I had already gone all in on the Dreamcast a year earlier.

I picked up my PS2 the following July, shortly after the birth of my daughter. I found myself spending lots of time lounging on the couch while she slept on my chest, so I was able to justify the purchase to help the time go by. Those are moments I'll never forget.

• greenween, RickR, Rowsdower70 and 2 others like this

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

Still probably the best library of any console.   GREAT system.

• greenween, RickR, Arenafoot and 2 others like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

I had the game system. I was dumb enough to trade in my n64 for it at game stop. Xbox for me looked darker on the screen. Maybe it was just me.

#5 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,145 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

So.....is the PS2 officially retro now  ;)

• StormSurge likes this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#6 Retrogamer81081

Retrogamer81081

Apple Member

• 562 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

Got mine in April 2001 works like a champ since. I have a few spare ones as well. :)
  • greenween likes this

#7 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

I lent my PS2 to a buddy once I moved on to the 360. Even though I have a lot of good gaming memories with it, I'm not sure I would ever need it back.

I mostly played sports games & the SOCOM series on it. Sports games I can revisit on my original Xbox & SOCOM isn't the same without playing multiplayer.

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

I played a lot of co-op stuff with the Mrs.   We had 2 systems and played EQOA together, also played Champions of Norrath (both games) Baldur's Gate (both games), Bard's Tale, lots of RPGs....

• greenween, RickR, StormSurge and 1 other like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:25 PM

Ok to give a UK Perspective here?

I won mine, at a time they were in very short supply, RRP of £300.Came home, big parcel just left on my door step, had been there for hours (good job A)It was a dry day and B)I lived in a very rural part of North devon at the time)....

Now, being a Dreamcast owner at the time and an avid UK Magazine reader, i could'nt move for the PS2 HYPE...this creation on paper would destroy the DC, quotes of between 66 Million and 75 Million Polys per second (utter cobblers in terms of real, in-game performance), so powerful it could be used to crunch the numbers to make weapons grade Nuclear Material, steer Ballistic missiles, IF PS2 technology fell into 'The wrong Hands' we were all doomed etc......

So, when i saw what were in essence then PS1.5 games, lot of jaggies in games, drab textures compared to the rich, vibrant ones i was used to on DC (Dc having more video Ram etc), i was very dissapointed indeed.

I did stick with it, loved Extermination (though those invisible dogs were a pain) Ring Of Red (sounds painful in itself) and LOVED Silent Hill 2 (Pinnicle of the series from Team Silent) and GTA 3+Vice City, Maximo, DMC etc... (these at least showcased the hardwares potential), but after being crushed by the dissapointment of MGS 2 (Big Shell Section i could see had been added to add length to the game), i moved to Xbox and fell in love with Dolby 5.1 (had the sound system for it back then, custom soundtracks, best looking versions of games, exclusives like P.D.O, O.T.O.G.I, Ninja Gaiden, Halo etc....

So sold the PS2 for peanuts to a mate at work.

A good few years later, friend of mine bought a PS3, day 1 purchase, became his COD:MW player, would'nt play anything else, even though machine was B.C with PS2...he gave me his PS2 and 60 games, for FREE!!!!!!!!!! 

Man had the machine grown up since i'd been away....

God Of War looked stunning (and i loved), Shadow Of Rome (ok, spoiled by the stealth sections, simply did'nt work), Cold Winter, Primal, DMC III, Gradius V, R-Type Final, a few Retro comps not avaiable on Xbox (Capcom Collection Vol 2, SNK Arcade Classics etc)Transformers, WW0, Maximo:Army Of Zin....

I could even see what they were attempting to do with The Getaway...(i have the 1st edition version, with British Telecom vans having the BT Logo on them, before B.T kicked up and had them removed)....

System and thus it's games had really matured.

Only titles i did'nt get on with:Just Cause (looked bloody awful next to Xbox version and i could see why PS2 Far Cry was canned)...

Silent Hill 3:Bigger weapons etc just felt out of place for a S.H game.

GTA:San Andreas:Did'nt like the setting (80's were my era hence V.City simply working for me) and i felt Rockstar had tried to put too much in..it might be big, it might be technically clever but it made for a less enjoyable game for me.

I wanted to get the 2 PS2 Contra games, but they seem to go for bloody silly money.

Oh and soon to try Manhunt for 1st time ever....

I do feel 480P titles and above aside, the PS2 Video out is far worse than a DC over Scart, let alone VGA, even using component on PS2 i seem to spend awful lot of time 'faffing abart' with TV settings to get decent enough piccy on HDTV, DC even with scart, just plug in and go.

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and StormSurge like this

#10 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,202 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

My favorite system of them all. So many ground breaking and incredible games. Also the first system I ever played online games with plus I could play all of my emulators on it!

• RickR likes this

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

#11 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,007 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:43 PM

I love the PS2. Got mine at a charity auction for a whopping $30. It was a great purchase.
  • RickR likes this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#12 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,272 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:51 AM

I didn't get my PS2 until 2008.........then bought alot of the cheap PS2 titles from Gamestop until they stopped carrying them

• LeeJ07 and StormSurge like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#13 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,416 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:58 AM

IMO, there are three "sweet spot" systems to collect at this moment.  Systems with great games where the systems and games are both plentiful and inexpensive.  They are:  PS2, Xbox, and Wii. 

I've really been getting into PS2 again lately, and it is really a great system.  Perfect controllers, excellent graphics and sound.  Loads of fun.  Let's hope the PS2 keeps working at age 38 like our beloved Atari 2600!

• LeeJ07 and StormSurge like this

#14 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,272 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:40 AM

10 question pop quiz on the PS2:

http://chi-scroller....-about-the-ps2/

#15 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

Just me that did'nt like the PS2 Dual Shock Dead Zones, espically on FPS?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users