Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Lynx Lounge

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:36 AM

I know it's not the Lynx but I use to play the heck out of California Games on the 2600 just to see how fast and how far I could make the bike fly in the BMX portion of the game.  I laughed so hard I made my stomach hurt doing that.  

• DeLorean and Zontar like this

#22 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:08 PM

It's that time again everybody - Lynx Lounge 

• Justin, The Professor, DeLorean and 6 others like this
Host of The Jag Bar | Lynx Lounge | 7800 Avenue
Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube....bHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

#23 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,031 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!!
  • DeLorean, Zontar, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#24 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

Here is the first game I bought for my Lynx #mindblownin1989.  Elctrocop on the Lynx Lounge.

#25 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 494 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:08 AM

Great episode! I should get my modded Lynx back next week and then I'll try to tackle some of these as you play them. I was going to do the install myself but time has been at a premium lately and the screen is too $$$ to screw up.
  • DeLorean, Zontar, btbfilms76 and 1 other like this

#26 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Whilst he never actually did ANY coding on the Lynx (Llamasoft being too small at the time to risk it), Jeff Minter did visit Atari to TALK about doing a Lynx title and was loaned a Lynx for a while.

Jeff came away very impressed saying in a magazine column of his at the time:

'If you lot reading this are at all inclined to arcade games and wicked hardware, you will buy a Lynx.End of story'.

Jeff seemed most impressed at the time by Gates Of Zendocon and Blue Lightning.

• DeLorean, Zontar and btbfilms76 like this

#27 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

Awesome advice about getting the launch titles with the flat lip. Lynx launch titles were stellar. Way ahead of its time, so far ahead of anything Nintendo was doing.

ElectroCop was one of my first Lynx games too. It has that awesome music and bright beautiful pixelated robot world that defined the Lynx. I always had a theory that ElectroCop existed within the Chip's Challenge universe and was how Chip saw himself, as this radical techno-hero that saves the world.  :electrocop:

Great episode as always BTB, I seriously, seriously love this show. So good what you are doing.

• The Professor, DeLorean, Zontar and 2 others like this

#28 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

Chip's Challenge and a special shout out to Dave Needle. 

#29 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

Great episode BTB! Chip's Challenge is awesome, definitely in my Top 3 favorite Atari Lynx games. It compares really well to The Adventures of Lolo on NES. Chip's Challenge is a fantastic puzzle game that exists in a cool little world, it was hard not to play it for hours. The Lynx version far exceeds the Chip's Challenge that made it to PC, which made the Lynx look outstanding by comparison.

Here's to Dave Needle  :martini:

• The Professor, Zontar, btbfilms76 and 1 other like this

#30 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

Launching this Thursday - we can't wait for Friday.

LynxBL.jpg

• Justin, Zontar, Yo-Yo and 3 others like this

#31 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

Blast off!

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 5 others like this

#32 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

Awesome episode! These Epyx titles for Lynx were incredible. They really showed off the Lynx and blew everything else out of the water. You're right on when you say that if you wanted to show the Game Boy kids a game that would shut them up, stop them in their tracks and just go "holy moly" Blue Lightning was it. It's hard to comprehend that Lynx was doing this sort of scaling and graphics on a handheld, long before SNES. Outstanding game! One of my absolute favorites and a must-have for every true Lynx aficionado.  :atari_lynx:

• The Professor, Zontar, Yo-Yo and 1 other like this

#33 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,031 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:25 AM

Blue Lightning is one of the best games of that era for any system. Play Top Gun on NES then come play Blue Lightning on Lynx and it'll knock your socks off. It was uncommon in flight games to have that ability to fly so high above the clouds and sow low to the ground, to roll the jet and spin around with so much precision. Atari used Blue Lightning as its in store retail demo at Toys R Us, Montgomery Wards, Software Etc. and other retailers using a special demo card:

image.jpeg

image.gif
  • Justin, Zontar, Yo-Yo and 3 others like this

#34 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

Seems a good a place as any to link to this:

http://www.atarimaga...collection.html

Cal Games, which i know is a fav.amongst a lot of Lynx fans (i still prefer the C64 version over Lynx version myself, more events for starters) got a balanced review, with flaws pointed out:

'Half-pipe skateboarding, with its difficult controls, is a frustrating event that'll give you sore thumbs and a sour disposition.'

And they loved Blue Lightning:

'The 3D perspective is dazzling, with missiles and jets coming at you with such realism, you want to duck. It's especially magnificent when you blast an enemy at the last second and fly through the debris. One thing's for sure: The Lynx's built-in scaling features are used to the max in Blue Lightning. Luckily, the gameplay is as good as the graphics, making this a must-have game for every Lynx owner. '

• Zontar likes this

#35 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:02 AM

@The Professor:

Elite's 1st Strike on the humble C64 also featured ability to fly high above the clouds and low to the ground (and was a damn sight better than the UK conversion of Afterburner to boot!) and i think was released the same year as Lynx Blue Lightning:

Check it out :-)

• Zontar likes this

#36 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

Blue Lightning is one of the best games of that era for any system. Play Top Gun on NES then come play Blue Lightning on Lynx and it'll knock your socks off. It was uncommon in flight games to have that ability to fly so high above the clouds and sow low to the ground, to roll the jet and spin around with so much precision. Atari used Blue Lightning as its in store retail demo at Toys R Us, Montgomery Wards, Software Etc. and other retailers using a special demo card:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.gif

This is really good stuff, thanks for sharing.

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 2 others like this

#37 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Not sure If you've covered or have plans to look at Viking Child at any point?

I'm firing the question of IF UK Press claims developers had been planned as a TRILOGY over to someone who worked on the game (well, Unseen64 will be on my behalf), so if anything comes in, i'll let you know and you might be able to use the info?

• Zontar and btbfilms76 like this

#38 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

It's Friday - who's ready for some RoadBlasters?!

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 5 others like this

#39 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Not sure If you've covered or have plans to look at Viking Child at any point?.

I'm firing the question of IF UK Press claims developers had been planned as a TRILOGY over to someone who worked on the game (well, Unseen64 will be on my behalf), so if anything comes in, i'll let you know and you might be able to use the info?.

Sounds good, I will be covering that game after the Arcade block Im doing for the Lynx.

• Zontar and Lost Dragon like this

#40 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 494 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:50 PM

RoadBlasters: Power that Rules the Road!

I love many of the mid to late-80s Atari Games releases but this is easily among the best. In fact, it's one of my Top 5 Atari branded titles.

You hit the nail on the head with the Mad Max reference. I was a huge fan of the second Max movie, Road Warrior. This definitely captures that high speed car combat feeling in a way that other games have not. As you say, the Lynx version is missing the steering wheel and pedal but it was a tremendous port at the time. It wipes the floor with other contemporary home versions and its on a handheld! Just amazing.

I'm looking forward to the arcade block. Stun Runner, XYbots, Xenophobe, Hydra, Joust, Robotron, Super Asteroids/Missile Command, PacLand, Guantlet, Ms. PacMan, PaperBoy... So many great conversions on the Lynx! If you were an arcade fan, it was definitely the handheld to own.
  • Justin, Zontar and Lost Dragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users