Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Lynx Lounge

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

Lynx Road Blasters is indeed utterly superb, but the weak sound in some areas lets it down somewhat, which is why i personally prefer the Mega Drive version as i find it does an even better job of replicating the coin-ops visuals, music and superb controls.

• Justin, Zontar and btbfilms76 like this

#42 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 276 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:27 PM

Lynx Road Blasters is indeed utterly superb, but the weak sound in some areas lets it down somewhat, which is why i personally prefer the Mega Drive version as i find it does an even better job of replicating the coin-ops visuals, music and superb controls.

No doubt, but think of this... Road Blasters on the go.  Can Sega do that? ;)

• Zontar likes this
Host of The Jag Bar | Lynx Lounge | 7800 Avenue
Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube....bHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

#43 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

Erm, via the NOMAD, i'd have to say they could and indeed did, but years after Atari :-)

• Zontar and btbfilms76 like this

#44 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 276 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

Erm, via the NOMAD, i'd have to say they could and indeed did, but years after Atari :-)

You're right, I forgot about the Nomad.

• Zontar and Lost Dragon like this

#45 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

Easy to do, it was hardly a hit for Sega :-)

Good friend of mine brought 1 around years ago, this in Pre-PSP era of handhelds.Concept of playing SOR 2 on the move i just loved, plus fact it used actual MD carts, swoon....

But the battery life or rather lack of it...OMG....

• Zontar likes this

#46 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

Paperboy anyone?  

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 2 others like this

#47 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

I like the hat  :emoji-E420:

• Zontar and Lost Dragon like this

#48 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 276 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

Who is ready to blast some Robotrons? I am but not on this platform, this is good port but 7800 please.  I stink at this version, give me that twin stick goodness!!

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 2 others like this

#49 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

Yet another superb video.

Made even more so by being so totally honest with your look at the game, the Lynx hardware was technically superb to handle Robotron, but it has a rather crippling control scheme deficit when it attempted to handle things like dual stick controls.

Developers did the best they could and tried to provide a control method best suited to everyone, but it could never really hope to replicate the coin op.

I also love your honesty when pointing out Atari sadly couldn't compete with the offerings Sega and Nintendo were coming out with for their handhelds.

I loved my Lynx Mk 1 and Mk 2, but like yourself, in all honesty I bought far more games for my Sega Game Gear.

Atari often seemed to convert games just because they had a name attached and from a technical stand point, Lynx could handle the conversions far, far better than other systems, but this did not mean games were suited to handheld play...

Dracula and Shadow Of The Beast..no save game option or password option or list too much on small screen and Lynx control set up.. Hard Drivin.

It's very refreshing to see someone who's a passionate Atari fan do a completely honest look at its software, via their You Tube channel, rather than slamn other formats, make false claims and false suggestions.

Your doing fantastic work here.

I look forward to the next video.
  • The Professor, Zontar and btbfilms76 like this

#50 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 276 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:05 PM

Yet another superb video.

Made even more so by being so totally honest with your look at the game, the Lynx hardware was technically superb to handle Robotron, but it has a rather crippling control scheme deficit when it attempted to handle things like dual stick controls.

Developers did the best they could and tried to provide a control method best suited to everyone, but it could never really hope to replicate the coin op.

I also love your honesty when pointing out Atari sadly couldn't compete with the offerings Sega and Nintendo were coming out with for their handhelds.

I loved my Lynx Mk 1 and Mk 2, but like yourself, in all honesty I bought far more games for my Sega Game Gear.

Atari often seemed to convert games just because they had a name attached and from a technical stand point, Lynx could handle the conversions far, far better than other systems, but this did not mean games were suited to handheld play...

Dracula and Shadow Of The Beast..no save game option or password option or list too much on small screen and Lynx control set up.. Hard Drivin.

It's very refreshing to see someone who's a passionate Atari fan do a completely honest look at its software, via their You Tube channel, rather than slamn other formats, make false claims and false suggestions.

Your doing fantastic work here.

I look forward to the next video.

Thanks so much!  Having a good time putting these together and walking down memory lane.  Trying to keep the fan boy vibe out of the show, these are all my games from when I was growing up so you're gonna hear the good the bad and the ugly... Hard Driving. Thanks again for your positive review of the show, just trying to keep it real.

• The Professor and Zontar like this

#51 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:48 AM

@btbfilms76:Trust me, i mean every word i saw.

I know my..ahem, style of feedback is not to everyones taste and whilst i can appreciate that and it ruffles a few feathers from time to time from editors who think i'm making their magazines look bad, it's plain and simple honest, open feedback.

In their cases i've paid for a professional publication and thus expect professional, well researched articles, written with no personal bias and unrealistic claims etc.

Reason i mention the above, is quite simply because i'm finding the content and perhaps even more so, the approach i'm looking for, from your goodself and these videos these days, rather than mainstream press.

You do indeed as you say 'Keep It Real' and for myself, that's really the only way to approach looking at any platform or game on it.

Nothing is gods own creation in terms of hardware design, let alone how designers, artists, coders etc used it.

Having an Atari badge on it doesn't render it any better or worse than 1 bearing a Sega, Sony, Nintendo, MS etc brand.

Again because your covering the games YOU fondly or even not so fondly :-) remember from your era, it comes across far more 'real' than someone doing something based on a game or platform they aren't overly familar with, but have been asked to cover as site/magazine needs a piece doing or they've pitched as it's an obscure system that they can get another few bob from reporting on, no real interest in as such, just something else to add to a C.V, cheques in post etc :-)

I love your vids because you do not shy away from the fact that as superb as the Lynx hardware was, by it's very nature it's a handheld, so your going to be faced with issue of small (low resolution) screen, very limited control options, limited battery life etc and that's going to cause major headaches trying to bring coin-ops with custom control methods and which relied on the 'awe' factor to draw in the crowds, to a handheld and that Atari, needing big names, went after games that were A)A little long in the tooth/already avaiable on other Atari systems and B)Not ideally suited to handheld play to start.

Please, keep doing what your doing, it's fantastic.

#52 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 276 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

It's the 90's and there is time for Klax. 

And check out the Klax review on the blog page 

http://www.atari.io/klax-lynx-lounge/

• Justin, The Professor, DeLorean and 3 others like this

#53 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

Great episode BTB! Mega THUMBS UP for the way you broke down the Tetris story and Tengen on NES. It’s not the easiest thing to explain to people. This was masterful.  :atari_lynx:

• Zontar, btbfilms76 and Lost Dragon like this

#54 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:17 PM

Not a HUGE fan of Klax, had it on Lynx and C64, but huge fan of THAT video...

Proof as if it were needed, you get the right guy (or girl) covering a subject, present it in a matter that captivaites the viewer, your doing great work and that's why we'll watch something we'd normally pass over.

Long may it continue.

• Justin, Zontar and btbfilms76 like this

#55 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 276 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

Rygar on the Lynx Lounge - get out them tight red pants!

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 3 others like this

#56 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

Fantastic video.

Loved your comment about going from NES to Lynx version.

You try going from C64 to Lynx versions,as was my case :)

Fantastic to hear your a fellow Rattan fan as well.

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 1 other like this

#57 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

New episodes for Lynx Lounge, The Jag Bar and 7800 Avenue all get an extensive blog post! BTB's review of Rygar is up on the blog here!

http://www.atari.io/rygar-atari-lynx-lounge/

• The Professor, Zontar, RickR and 1 other like this

#58 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 276 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:07 PM

Fantastic video.

Loved your comment about going from NES to Lynx version.

You try going from C64 to Lynx versions,as was my case :)

Fantastic to hear your a fellow Rattan fan as well.

Ill have to check out the C64 version.  Too bad the Lynx never got a Karnov port, another one of my favorites, on my Tandy 1000 of course.

• The Professor, Zontar and Lost Dragon like this

#59 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,031 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:32 PM

I forgot about Rygar. The Lynx was really good with arcade ports wasn't it

#60 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

Rygar/Rastan fans might like to check out Core Design's:

"Torvak The Warrior" (ST/Amiga):

http://www.google.co...Y-91lU1-pkoXwYw

Would of been ideal for a Lynx conversion....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users