Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Lynx Lounge

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Wimp free zone!!

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 4 others like this
Host of The Jag Bar | Lynx Lounge | 7800 Avenue
Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube....bHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

#62 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,663 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

I think "guilty pleasure" is a good way to sum up the game.

I was invited to go on The Retro League Podcast a few months ago when they were talking about 1 on 1 fighters and I actually chose the Lynx version of Pit Fighter to talk about, since I wanted to bring up Atari in some way, especially the Lynx, which often doesn't get much attention on multi system podcasts.

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 2 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#63 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

Yet another fantastic video and I love the personal recollections of what the game meant to you..

And as always you give a very balanced view of the game itself, on the Lynx.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 01 October 2016 - 12:28 PM.

• The Professor, Zontar and btbfilms76 like this

#64 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:56 PM

Yet another fantastic video and I love the personal recollections of what the game meant to you..

And as always you give a very balanced view of the game itself, on the Lynx.

Thanks so much.

• The Professor, Zontar and Lost Dragon like this

#65 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

Your welcome, you do wonderous stuff my friend.

Bit of Pitfighter triva i never see mentioned in UK coverage..rumour was the games digitised industrial backdrop was actually digitised from an Atari warehouse, would love to know if any truth to this..

Anyone know more?

• The Professor and Zontar like this

#66 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

UK magazines C+VG,Zero and The One claim Amiga version features Sprite Scaling..

If this is true i'd guess Amiga is using clever coding routines where as Lynx is using the hardware..

Edited by Lost Dragon, 07 October 2016 - 01:18 PM.

• The Professor, Zontar and btbfilms76 like this

#67 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

UK magazines C+VG,Zero and The One claim Amiga version features Sprite Scaling..

If this is true i'd guess Amiga is using clever coding routines where as Lynx is using the hardware..

The characters seam to be staying the same size, it almost looks like the floor and crowd are moving but not the actual characters. 

• The Professor, Zontar and Lost Dragon like this

#68 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

Yeah I would say Lynx is only version to offer true Sprite Scaling, where as Amiga version attempts to mimic or replicate at least some of the fancy effects...

Brave attempt, but asking bit too much of the hardware in that department.
  • The Professor and Zontar like this

#69 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

Dead Aliens... check 

• Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 3 others like this

#70 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:33 PM

Another SUPERB entry (but then, did i expect anything less? :) )

Already chatted about mixed review scores from UK and USA Press HERE:

http://forums.atari....-february-1991/

http://forums.atari....s-amiga-format/

And we also saw:ACE only scoring the ST version at 585/1000, but then the C64 version only pulled in 492/1000 :-(

Commodore User (C.U) hated the coin-op to start with, giving it a mere 4/10....C+VG calling coin-op distasteful...but they did score the Lynx version 79%

Zzap64 did a dual review. C64 version scoring 68%, Amiga version 62%

Lynx version overal far better recieved than Home Micro ports it seems...looks like a bit of tweaking really paid off.

Nice to see the zoomed in aspect detailed, felt it worked fine on Xenophobe, but Lynx Double Dragon?Ohh lordy no, ruined the game for myself.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 04 November 2016 - 02:40 PM.

• Justin, The Professor and btbfilms76 like this

#71 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

Another SUPERB entry (but then, did i expect anything less? :) )

Already chatted about mixed review scores from UK and USA Press HERE:

http://forums.atari....-february-1991/

http://forums.atari....s-amiga-format/

And we also saw:ACE only scoring the ST version at 585/1000, but then the C64 version only pulled in 492/1000 :-(

Commodore User (C.U) hated the coin-op to start with, giving it a mere 4/10....C+VG calling coin-op distasteful...but they did score the Lynx version 79%

Zzap64 did a dual review. C64 version scoring 68%, Amiga version 62%

Lynx version overal far better recieved than Home Micro ports it seems...looks like a bit of tweaking really paid off.

Nice to see the zoomed in aspect detailed, felt it worked fine on Xenophobe, but Lynx Double Dragon?Ohh lordy no, ruined the game for myself.

Yeah when we get to Rampage and DD we'll have to go over that :/

• Justin, The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

#72 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

After the dissapointing ST and Megadrive versions (I never expected much from C64 version), I had such high hopes for Lynx Double Dragon, instead I had a game with a viewpoint zoomed in to point it effected the gameplay, limited animation,weak sound, missing levels and weapons etc.
  • Justin and The Professor like this

#73 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

Dead Aliens... check 

We have a superb Xenophobe post on the Blog too! :atari_lynx:  http://www.atari.io/xenophobe-atari-lynx-lounge/

Cwcnn65WIAAH_Jr.jpg

• The Professor, btbfilms76, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#74 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:06 PM

Any plans to cover Lynx A.P.B or Pac-Land in the near future my friend?.

Reason i ask, is both are superb on Lynx, but there was a claim doing the rounds over here in UK, that Atari had made them more difficult on the Lynx, as they felt folks were after more of a challenge and would very possibly of already played them on the earlier home micro ports to likes of C64, ST, Amiga etc...

I'm looking forward to your views on both.

#75 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

Just subscribed to your YT channel

#76 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

Bit of an UPDATE to Amiga Pitfighter actually having Sprite Scaling:

Press Quotes so may be taken with salt in pinches :), but read and decide for yourselves:

Teque's Coder Peter Jefferies: ..."....Without doubt, the hardest aspect of Pitfighter was the scaling of the sprites and the screen...at 1st i didn't think that i'd be able to do it, but in the end it worked out well..."

Dean Lester (Head of Teque): 2.....The Scaling wasn't in the Domark brief (publisher), nobody thought it could be done, when they saw it, they loved it, they were very pleased.Having that sense of depth is essential, game looks very flat without it.."

Teque also showcased a very early demo, done in 4 weeks, which exhibited early scaling and panning features, it was a quick n dirty demo, no sprite compression, no combat, but done to test the game engine, to see what sort of frame update on ST and Amiga (Amiga version faster) they could expect....

The Teque Team took graphics data from Tengen's Geneis version was well as coin-op original, reformatted and recoloured them for specific aspects of ST and Amiga....

Here's how the Amiga scaling apparently worked:

Each sprite was stored as as 64X64 pixel, 16 colour sprite, Peter's custom 3-D modeller then kept track of how far 'back' in the screen a sprite was, then distorted it vertically, so it appeared at the appropriate hieght for it's distance in the background....(width of sprites never changes though)..a similar method employeed on background and crowd sprites.

Unlike the coin-op version, the floorboards are not shrunk/enlarged by Amiga hardware, it's simply not powerful enough, instead colour banding used instead to replicate the effect.

The other change in Amiga/ST version is supposed to be that Mad Miles KICKS, which he doesn't in coin-op? not sure if he does in Lynx or Genesis versions, but then i'm not a Pitfighter fan. 

#77 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

Neglected to make clear, 1 reason i personally prefer Genesis version of Road Blasters to the already fantastic Lynx version, is fact with Lynx version being on a small screen, i found it somewhat more difficult to spot in advance, upcoming hazzards, which made for a tougher, more frustrating experience, than play Genesis, hooked up to nice big TV.

I do feel it's worth pointing out these issues, as the small screen was a bane at times for myself, espically with coin-op conversions like Road Blasters and indeed Lynx Hard Drivin...i found a lot of the visual impact was lost, when reduced to Lynx sized screen and gameplay could suffer.

I know i've been 'hard' on Lynx Hard Drivin, but it's sluggish controls, combined with smaller screen, meant i put in a lot less time with it, than i did on ST/Amiga/Genesis versions.....

Not that these themselves were by far brilliant, Genesis version seemed like an Amiga port and once you took away the coin-op's realistic car handling, i never felt you were playing the same game, in effect.

As for Steel Talons?

The coin-op had like what? A joystick, rotor throttle, 2 independent fire buttons and 2 floor mounted pedals as a control system, you were never going to replicate the feel of that on any home system, let alone the Lynx...

Edited by Lost Dragon, 28 November 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#78 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Dear BTB,

your shows had brought me to that fantastic homepage with its nice forum.

I wanna thank you for that. I hope for further years with your shows.

Edited by TeddyGermany, 08 January 2017 - 09:48 AM.

• Justin, btbfilms76 and Lost Dragon like this

#79 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Dear BTB,

your shows had brought me to that fantastic homepage with its nice forum.

I wanna thank you for that. I hope for further years with your shows.

That's great to hear! I hope you're enjoying your time in the Forums! Thank you for joining the site, and thank you to BTB for bringing a new member into the forums  :wreck-it-ralph:

• Lost Dragon and TeddyGermany like this

#80 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

@BTB:Quick Q.for you if i may, regarding Lynx Pitfighter, your more clued up on it than i...

Is the claim true that in inital previews Atari (?) were promising this would be Arcade perfect? so, all the speech, intro screnes (which ST/Amiga had), Screen with you stood on Fork lift, winnings at your feet and possibly 3-players as well?

Or has someone gotten a little carried away/confused in the past, making this claim?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users