Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Lynx Lounge

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#81 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

@ Justin

So I do! :party:

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#82 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 284 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

Dear BTB,

your shows had brought me to that fantastic homepage with its nice forum.

I wanna thank you for that. I hope for further years with your shows.

TeddyGermany!  Thanks so much, glad you like the show and I'm glad you made it here.  I have a lot of shows left for all the systems I cover 7800, Jaguar and of course a full Lynx library.  

• Justin, atarilbc, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this
Host of The Jag Bar | Lynx Lounge | 7800 Avenue
Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube....bHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

#83 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 284 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Eat em all up!

Ms. Pac-Man Atari Lynx Review on the Blog: http://www.atari.io/...ri-lynx-lounge/

• Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 2 others like this

#84 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

Fantastic start to 2017 from your goodself.

And i'm like you, given the choice I would go for it over the original.

Love the fact you start off by making clear game could and really should of been done in vertical mode and ghosts should of had eyes.

Small niggles yes, but given that was a bit dated by time it appeared on Lynx, it should of been arcade perfect.

Your also the only person I know of who has no issues pointing out the hindrance Lynx pad had on certain games.

And that's a bloody grand point about being able to try a 3rd part controller on other systems (hell did i try just about every joystick going during my 800XL, C64 and ST days...).With a handheld, your stuck with what your given.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 20 January 2017 - 02:42 PM.

• Justin and The Professor like this

#85 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 495 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

I agree with Lost Dragon and echo his sentiments and yours regarding vertical mode. It's a missed opportunity for sure.

I will say that while I like the full screen mode, there is something offputting about the look of the sprites in the Lynx version. I always thought that it would be nice to have a "zoom-in" option. It would have played something like Jr. Pac but with a smaller maze. To each their own.

Great entry into Lynx Lounge as always BTB!
  • Justin, The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

#86 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:36 PM

Eat em all up!

Ms. Pac-Man Atari Lynx Review on the Blog: http://www.atari.io/...ri-lynx-lounge/

Yes sir!!!!! The Creep digs!!! 

Side note, whenever I read "your host BTB" for some reason I hear BTK.  :o  :rofl:  :martini:

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#87 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

:-/

I've some catching up to do, no idea how, but i've missed a few of your early eps.

Caught up with Paperboy and Gates Of Zendocon last night, both superb games done justice by your shows.

• Justin and Atari Creep like this

#88 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

And there goes your superb look at Lynx Robotron.

Dissapointed, but sadly not surprised to see 1 moronic remark left in the comments section on YT regarding it....

You didn't blame Atari or the Lynx hardware for the 'iffy' controls, just made perfectly clear the Lynx configuration, no matter which option you went for, could never hope to replicate the Twin Stich approach of the coin-op and if you wanted that on an Atari system...? 7800 was your stop.

So to describe your comments as 'pretty stupid', were totally uncalled for espically when person making the comments hinmself goes onto post a pretty stupid one himself :)

Very little new games on Game gear (i assume he meant very little in the way OF new games...tut)?

Right apart from the likes of:2 G.G Shinobi's, Ax Battler, Eternal Legends, Arena, Godzilla, Mega Man, Panzer dragoon Mini, Poplis, Fred Couples Golf, X-Men:Gamesmasters Legacy etc etc i could go on.

I'm no Media Personality, lol, but i'd say some grapes might have gone sour when those comments were left :-)

Spotted some nonsense comments left in a few other of your vids on YT (i normally view them on Atari I.O), i'm sure if folks want to check out Lynx coverage in RG magazine, they can buy old issues of RG magazine, Lynx longue is about introducing Lynx to those both new and familar with it, something it does bloody well.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 21 January 2017 - 11:30 AM.

• Justin and Atari Creep like this

#89 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Bloody hell BTB, looks like your YT vids got a few, ahem choice comments from some people here in the UK.

Looked at those left when you've looked over likes of:

Chips Challenge, Chec.Flag, Power Drive Rally, Roadblasters, Cal gamesPitfighter and Blue Lightning.

I'll just say a few comments in response to the shoe horn approach of name dropping :)

ANYONE can contact likes of:

Chuck Sommerville, when i was messing about doing interviews i had contact with him, Q's sat, but cancelled the interview as he was busy and i honestly didn't see it bringing any new info to the table.

Scott D.Williamson? ditto, contacted him via PM on AA about certain Atari related matter, guy was superb and his posts detailing work on Lynx can still be found, for FREE on Atari Age.

Epyx:yep, been there, done that, asked about the claim UK Magazine Gamesmaster Magazine made and certain posters passed off as fact, that Lynx Cal Games 2 was 50% complete..utter rubbish, Epyx hated Atari at this point, pity poster hadn't made that clear in his RG article he uses comments on your video to self promote.

The Rebellion interview?

He means the RVG COMMUNITY interview, sure he EMAILED over the Q's, but the COMMUNITY put the questions.

LMAO, it was myself as Rogue Trooper, who asked about the Jaguar control method for the bloody game, now 'he' takes credit for it? shesh....

Basically anyone with an internet connect can reach industry folk, it's what YOU GUYS do, when approaching the subject of ATARI (yes YOU:BTB, Atari Creep, Shinto, NoSwearGamer etc etc), that makes it SPECIAL.

Your common sense approach, no nonsense presentation and PERSONALITY that shines through each and every time and that's why folks like myself cannot get enough of it.

Please..continue :)

• Justin, Greyfox and btbfilms76 like this

#90 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 284 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

Bloody hell BTB, looks like your YT vids got a few, ahem choice comments from some people here in the UK.

Looked at those left when you've looked over likes of:

Chips Challenge, Chec.Flag, Power Drive Rally, Roadblasters, Cal gamesPitfighter and Blue Lightning.

I'll just say a few comments in response to the shoe horn approach of name dropping :)

ANYONE can contact likes of:

Chuck Sommerville, when i was messing about doing interviews i had contact with him, Q's sat, but cancelled the interview as he was busy and i honestly didn't see it bringing any new info to the table.

Scott D.Williamson? ditto, contacted him via PM on AA about certain Atari related matter, guy was superb and his posts detailing work on Lynx can still be found, for FREE on Atari Age.

Epyx:yep, been there, done that, asked about the claim UK Magazine Gamesmaster Magazine made and certain posters passed off as fact, that Lynx Cal Games 2 was 50% complete..utter rubbish, Epyx hated Atari at this point, pity poster hadn't made that clear in his RG article he uses comments on your video to self promote.

The Rebellion interview?

He means the RVG COMMUNITY interview, sure he EMAILED over the Q's, but the COMMUNITY put the questions.

LMAO, it was myself as Rogue Trooper, who asked about the Jaguar control method for the bloody game, now 'he' takes credit for it? shesh....

Basically anyone with an internet connect can reach industry folk, it's what YOU GUYS do, when approaching the subject of ATARI (yes YOU:BTB, Atari Creep, Shinto, NoSwearGamer etc etc), that makes it SPECIAL.

Your common sense approach, no nonsense presentation and PERSONALITY that shines through each and every time and that's why folks like myself cannot get enough of it.

Please..continue :)

Oh yes... the UK crowd lol.  Ive have some major battles in the past, especially when I started out, how ever Tom Charnock from Dreamcast Junkyard has been a real support. Im just doing what Im doing and others, I guess aren't fans... and I'm ok with that. 

• Justin, The Professor, Greyfox and 2 others like this

#91 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

I'm honestly very, very saddened to hear you encountered some hostile reactions from the UK when you 1st started out, i hadn't realised the insecurity had become that widespread over here, but then like i said i've only now started viewing your shows on YT.

If i may be so..bold :)

I think your encountering what myself, Greyfox, others have encountered and that's simply that oh my giddy proverbial Aunt, we...'dare' start to cover Atari, who the hell are we? don't we know there are others out there that do this for a living/get paid to write, report, cover Atari and thus it should be they, not the unwashed like us, who cover Atari...

Of course none of us take a blind bit of bloody notice and we do what we want to do, when and how we want to, share it online for others to enjoy or take little/no interest in etc, but because we are doing it, we draw the attention of those wishing to see themselves as UK and USA Atari experts and great efforts made to discredit what we often bring to the table...which usually ends up with egg on the faces of those trying to discredit us...

It's a bizzare situation..the weak dog barking the loudest i feel.

I've hit 'flak' from UK, USA etc time n time again when people from industry i contacted slagged off Jaguar hardware or gave a reality check to what really happened to Lost:Lynx, Jaguar, 7800 etc games, but what was i supposed to do? copy n print a UK Press claim, make it appear as fact, not point out Mag X said...?

Alter 3DO footage? lie about who i'd spoken too? make up a statement they were supposed to of said just to suit a bias?

Nahhh.

And thankfully none of you guys take that approach either, which is why you earnt my time and respect.

sometimes UK paints itself in a very, very bad light...

Edited by Lost Dragon, 21 January 2017 - 02:22 PM.

• Justin and Greyfox like this

#92 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

It's a bizzare situation..the weak dog barking the loudest i feel.

That's really interesting.

In many german forums you can find a subcategory of people, which have to bash everything. Give them a catchword, they will goof on:

Nintendo Switch?

Oh it will be a mess. I know that.

PS4?

Oh, don't talk any further, it sucks! I know that.

Atari Jaguar?

Oh, was a complete failure. I know that.

I think, they live in a dark and cold hole, have never seen the sunlight, only eat and drink pizza, potatoe chips and cherry coke and do not believe in the existence of women.

Is it possible, that they have digged tubes to UK and live now in british cellars and dungeons?

#93 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I could be here all day listing the very best of...the worst double standards from UK forums, but a few personal highlights have to include...

Slagging off dedicated Retro publications for their lacklusture Atari coverage, describing them as joke...before going onto write for them.

As above but toys going out of pram as a writer your not keen on writes for them and is paid a pretty penny to do so, now you write for them as well.

Think the proverbial harware store springs to mind, i'll take a Kettle and a Pot please, 1 of each, colour? why black of course.

Sony Playstation ruined games industry as it was nothing but sequels.

Woah hold on, lets see as an ex-Genesis owner..how many:Streets Of Rage, Shinobi, Sonic, Phantasy Star, Strike etc games just for starters did i own?.

Jaguar:2 Iron Soldier games, only 1 on PS1, Zool 2-sequel.

Jaguar has:Syndicate..PS1 has Syndicate wars.

Jaguar has Flashback..PS1 has Fade To Black.

Battlemorph...sequel to Cybermorph.

Double Dragon V

Towers II-story follows from ST+PC game, it itself ported from Falcon....

Lets look at the games people wanted sooo badly on Jaguar:Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3...sequels.

Then you have the other lost games, be they mere Press claims or indeed known to be W.I.P titles:

Dino Dudes II

Doom II

Dragons Lair II

EWJ II

Hardball 3

Ishar 3

Kick Off 3

Wing Commander 3.

Spotted a pattern here.

I'm sure BTB, Shinto, NSG, Atari Creep, any of you guys producing such wonderous shows/podcasts etc would welcome constructive critiscm on any episode, but just to post comments plugging your own , ahem, work, which you've already been paid for..i could understand, not appreciate, but understand, but to jump in and post bile like...

How you really should of learnt all the moves before attempting the video-err, no, it's just a laid back look at the game, few dudes, the game, drinks etc..it's not a practical exam in Atari....

Or jumping down your throat for blaming Atari (which BTB never did) for a control system that could never hope to replicate the coin-ops....an area BTB has gone to great pains to make clear...and then going off on some poorly researched rant about the Game Gear just having mainly MS ports..

That's just way off the mark.

But then we saw similar when the Nostaliga Nerd did history of The Jaguar....

you'll never stop it..the important thing is, you never let it stop you either.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 22 January 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#94 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

Oh and regarding 'those' comments left on YT regarding your observational comments on controls not working so well on Lynx version:

Here in the UK, the Official Sega Saturn magazine pointed out that playing Robotron 2084, on the saturn control pad was and i quote..." A Bit Tough", during it's review of Williams arcade greatest Hits.

So yes UK trolls, it has been pointed out at review on systems unable to replicate the twin stick controls, that it's tough/akward, name it how you will, playing on alternative control set ups, so get off BTB's back.

#95 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 284 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

Who remembers this amazing arcade translation for the one and only Lynx?

• Justin, The Professor, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#96 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 284 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

And always check the blog for even more interesting facts about the game - its like the directors commentary on your favorite games.
http://www.atari.io/...ri-lynx-lounge/

#97 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:01 AM

Ah, it is time to revisit the Lynx Lounge!
  • The Professor, btbfilms76 and Lost Dragon like this

#98 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:18 AM

I've left comments on the YT channel, but i'm also going to do so here.

Thanks again to BTB for covering a Lynx title i loved (ST version is superb also, better i would say as you don't loose so much of the long field view, as you do playing on Lynx small screen, plus it has the confession bonus stage so a truer conversion)...in a totally unbiased manner.

The Lynx version of APB has an awful lot going for it, it's better than the C64 version which i loved at the time, but it's NOT a version i'd personally play now, when i have it on Xbox and PSP via Retro Compilations, MAME etc

• The Professor and btbfilms76 like this

#99 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hey BTB :)

Just an idea for FUTURE vids...

The key thing i love about your vids, from a look at viewpoint, is your not shy to point out what doesn't work..you don't go in with Atari lynx blindness...

So, on back of APB, which is missing the waggling intergation sequence, i was wondering if you plan to make special mention of sections other conversions to the Lynx LACK...

Thinking of: Lynx Shadow Of The Beast for starters.. NO FLYING SECTION.... and a different ending, to Amiga version.

Yet i know certain fanboys like to proclaim it as the BEST version.

• btbfilms76 likes this

#100 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 284 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

Hey BTB :)

Just an idea for FUTURE vids...

The key thing i love about your vids, from a look at viewpoint, is your not shy to point out what doesn't work..you don't go in with Atari lynx blindness...

So, on back of APB, which is missing the waggling intergation sequence, i was wondering if you plan to make special mention of sections other conversions to the Lynx LACK...

Thinking of: Lynx Shadow Of The Beast for starters.. NO FLYING SECTION.... and a different ending, to Amiga version.

Yet i know certain fanboys like to proclaim it as the BEST version.

Yeah I might have to think about that. Right now I'm going over some really great games so it's easy to point out how well these games work. But believe me when the time comes I will be honest and fair. The great thing is I can actually speak from a point of view of actually owing these games when they came out, I'm not just a collector that is talking about pick ups, I actually had to feel the sting of buying a dud game and had to live with it.

But if we want to talk about best versions of Beast we should talk about the Turbo Duo version . But I do think the Lynx version is very very good.

I will be ending the Arcade port block on Lynx Lounge with Hard Driving... So yeah, ill have a few things to say about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users