Any TI-99/4A Users Here?

- Ω -

no.....but welcome to Atari.io  --- Ω ---

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Great to see you back, - Ω - !!!

Thanks!  I'm going to try and stop by here as a regular thing.  Nice to see we have some TI'ers here, RickR, RadioPoultry, The Professor and Rowsdower70.

I've only been back into the TI for a little over two years... I'm afraid I've gotten a little carried way.  It was my first computer platform and I find as I'm getting older, the nostalgia got the better of me.  The thing is, this time around I'm having much more fun because of modern technology and years to 'crack the machine', people are doing things with it now, that were only dreams back then. 

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I have both a Silver and Beige model, just one set of power and connection cables, I seem to recall a key or two wonky on at least one of them. No joysticks or anything. They been sitting in the closet a long time, so far I've not really gotten into this machine. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

It's Tunnels of Doom, but I don't see it on the multi-cart. :)

I'm not certain, but it could be that the cartridge has a GROM component that prevents it from being run on a standard ROM-only based cartridge.  It might have to be put into an Uber Cart (see attached photo) that also uses an Atmega1284P.

** EDIT **

Now that I think of it, they WERE put into UberCarts... hmmmm.

post-713-0-45009800-1446395949_thumb.jpg

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

You need at a minimum:  A set of joysticks, the speech box, and Parsec. 

The Atarisoft TI games are all mostly excellent.

I will keep that in mind, I love early speech in these machines, I played with AMIGA speech way more than I should have lol

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

There are only a few speech games sadly.  Alpiner and Parsec are the two that come to mind that are really easy to find and fun.  Even with this limited selection, it is worth having for the fun factor.  And the other cool thing is that TI systems, games, and speech modules are all easy to find and inexpensive.  Sheesh, I have some extras if anyone is interested.

Odyssey 2 is another system where the speech module is a must.  In the case of the O2, it takes a system that is mostly "meh" and turns it into a must-have system that is a lot of fun.  IMO.

Hello, I am still relatively new to these forums.  I collect classic game systems and own 2 TI-99 4A home computer systems.  I need to look them over again but they are both silver, and as I recall one has the voice synthesizer and one does not.  The cartridges/games I have are: Munch Man, The Attack, Hunt the Wumpus, TI Invaders, Donkey Kong, Parsec, Hangman, A-Maze-Ing, Video Graphs, Early Learning Fun, Early Reading, Numeration 1, Household Budget Management, Home Financial Decisions, and Terminal Emulator II.  I played these as a small child in the mid 1980s quite a bit even before owning my Atari 7800.  At one time years ago my father had the data cassette tape device and programs for it.  I don't currently know where the programs are, he might still have them boxed up somewhere.  Have one basic joystick.  Good to see there is still such an interest in the system.  It was very well-made and as far as I know the ones I have still function, although I haven't tested them in years.  I'll try to get them out sometime soon and maybe post some pics if I get them running.

Hello, I am still relatively new to these forums.  I collect classic game systems and own 2 TI-99 4A home computer systems.  I need to look them over again but they are both silver, and as I recall one has the voice synthesizer and one does not.  The cartridges/games I have are: Munch Man, The Attack, Hunt the Wumpus, TI Invaders, Donkey Kong, Parsec, Hangman, A-Maze-Ing, Video Graphs, Early Learning Fun, Early Reading, Numeration 1, Household Budget Management, Home Financial Decisions, and Terminal Emulator II.  I played these as a small child in the mid 1980s quite a bit even before owning my Atari 7800.  At one time years ago my father had the data cassette tape device and programs for it.  I don't currently know where the programs are, he might still have them boxed up somewhere.  Have one basic joystick.  Good to see there is still such an interest in the system.  It was very well-made and as far as I know the ones I have still function, although I haven't tested them in years.  I'll try to get them out sometime soon and maybe post some pics if I get them running.

As Shia LaBeouf would say:  "DO IT!"

Archived