Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

I-War!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 louisg

louisg

Cherry Member

• 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Does anyone else have this? I'm borrowing this from a friend and wondered what people thought of it. I'm not too great at it, but it seems quite interesting. One great decision they made was using the Jag's limited gouraud shaded polygons for a freaky cyberspace environment. It's quite stylish and cool. 

Anyone got any tips or opinions on this one?

• Justin, atarilbc, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

#2 Cryptic33

Cryptic33

• 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:40 AM

I have this game but haven't played it yet. I agree that the look of the game is good and it reminds me a little of BattleZone. I'll let you know what I think when I get chance to play it :)

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

Looking forward to your thoughts people.

It was a title i never purchased and one of the few original titles Imagitec got out the bally door (cough, Freelancer, Space Junk etc), so lets see how they fared when doing something other than conversion work or clones....

#4 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 513 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:35 AM

I have I-War.  I haven't played it in about 4 years but it's pretty cool IMHO.  I enjoyed the computer theme and its one of the better Jaguar tank-style games.  Also, IIRC there is an "on rails" bonus stage in between levels that makes for an interesting change of pace. I'll have to dig it out and give it a spin soon.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#5 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

It's one of my top 10 Jaguar games, I love it. I love the Tronesque cyberspace look and it's really fun. Also a true 3D game with platforms and bridges, etc. above "ground level" that you "bounce" up to on "trampolines."  It rocks and I highly recommend it to any Jag fan that wants more 3D Jag games. Yes, there can be some slow down when things get hectic and tons of polygons are shattering all over the place, but it doesn't last long and I don't feel it detracts from the game because the enemies all slow down too, so it's not like you get pummeled and can't react fast enough or anything. The bonus levels are also awesome. It is Cybermorph and Hoverstrike rolled into one with a dash of Tron in Cyberspace. The music is fantastic old-school techno-rave stuff, like T2K...but what else would you expect from Imagitec?

Edited by Bakerman, 18 November 2015 - 10:05 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this
"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)
"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)
"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

You really make me wish i'd checked out I-War as a Jaguar owner back in the day :-)

Imagitec were'nt the greatest of Jaguar developers, sadly....i'd of loved to have seen Space Junk and Freelancer finished (on any bloody platform) just to see if they delivered the goods...

But in terms of music, they really delivered.

• Bakerman likes this

#7 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

You really make me wish i'd checked out I-War as a Jaguar owner back in the day :-)

Imagitec were'nt the greatest of Jaguar developers, sadly....i'd of loved to have seen Space Junk and Freelancer finished (on any bloody platform) just to see if they delivered the goods...

But in terms of music, they really delivered.

You have me a bit confused...are you saying you no longer own a Jag, or just that you wished you had gotten I-war long ago, but maybe will now? If the former, if you spend so much time talking about the Jag, why not get it again? Along with I-war? it seems you still have a love for the system if you are hanging in Jag forums so much...maybe it's the second choice though? Then definitely get I-war, I promise at least you won't hate it.

Maybe there are Youtube videos to check out? though just use them to get an idea, as most Youtube videos the people can't play the Jag games they are filming worth a damn and so it's hard to be impressed with the half-hearted attempts at gameplay.

Edited by Bakerman, 18 November 2015 - 12:42 PM.

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)
"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)
"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

I'm an Ex-Jaguar owner, ditto A8, ST and Lynx.Owned, loved, but came a time when they just were'nt being used so i moved on.

I got drawn into looking into what became of the Lost Games on all of them via various means:Atari Gamer and ST Gamer publications, Unseen64, GTW etc, plus i always wanted to know what became of...and just how much crap the UK Press had claimed.

It reached a point where people wanted more answers so i sought out more and more people involved on A8/ST+Jaguar, put up the results to try and explain why annouced games never made it, as there'd been a period of mag claims being passed off as fact online,which seemed daft as implying things like Creature Shock etc were nearly finished gave false hope code would 1 day surface.

I do watch a few YouTube vids, but got tired of people slagging the hardware/games without understanding them or attempting to 'learn them'.

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Oh and i really wish i had'nt sold my Jaguar as looking at prices to just build collection back upto where it once was, from scratch..is just a killer.

It seems 'The Good Stuff' has been snapped up by collectors etc, rather than those planning to play and enjoy the games.

#10 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

yeah, you got that right, if I had to start from scratch with the Jag now, I wouldn't and couldn't, the pricing is insane, really insane. I like to recommend it as a collectible system, but right now I just can't justify recommending it with such astronomical prices. I've only got about a dozen cart games back myself, and half a dozen CD games, since I sold off my collection several years ago (only because I needed money, and the same with the 3DO and DC). I got back into it just in time to get most of my top favorites, but now I can't afford to collect for the Jag anymore atm. I'm not sure if I would if I had the cash, with the crazy high prices. luckily I have the Jag CD so I've been building up a sizable home-brew collection. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#11 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

Mate the stuff i've sold off over the years, let alone Atari related (Lynx Mk 1, Mk 2, stack of games, Jaguar and sooo many games, the 800Xl and disk Drive with OMG so many games on disk), Rare PS1, MCD, MD games etc etc.... i could just openly weep looking at it in hindsight, passed over Saturn games like Deep fear, PDS thinking nahhh, they'll end up in bargin bins later, a Virtual Boy for peanuts, you name it :-)

• Bakerman likes this

#12 Paul

Paul

Cherry Member

• 38 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:13 PM

I-War is good, but not great. With just a little more optimization and polish, the frame rate could have improved. There is slowdown when a lot of stuff is going on. Music is top notch imagitec Amiga .mod stuff.
  • Lost Dragon and AtariHero like this

#13 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:21 AM

I think the lack of optimization and polish found on a number of Jaguar titles (in part 'thanks' to the Jaguar hardware being bugged, development tools a nightmare, budgets limited and Atari's policy of rushing products out the door, no matter how unfinished they were, let alone fact they'd asked developers to get hardware to do things it really wasn't geared up for, i.e lot of texture-mapping), has blighted the Jaguar's reputation more than many other factors.

When you have a marketing angle screaming 64-Bit at you, you honestly don't expect things like slowdown in games and choppy frame rates....

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:52 PM

Hmmn.Crying shame some of the Ex-Imagitec coders/artists who i contacted and agreed to answer Q's never actually bothered to reply/or were able to reply, as I-War alone is a funny creature.

I'd loved to of known just why the game was designed/released with such crippling frame rate issues...

It must of been obvious the polygon engine powering the game simply wasn't upto scratch when things got demmanding, yet levels got larger, more foes on screen etc...and frame rate just took a hammering.

Was this simply bad design? hope that time would be there to optimise code after levels designed or simply Atari demmanding game ship in what ever state it was in at the time?.

No-one so far has replied, we (at Unseen64) have Q's sat with another person from the company, but i've no great hope of a reply myself and the article on the company i read months ago as a Retro Gamer magazine subscriber left me with far more questions than answers sadly, so i'm still at a loss to explain it.

#15 Paul

Paul

Cherry Member

• 38 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

Time and money. That is what this game needed to be better. When Atari found a competent developer that was even willing to work on the Jaguar, they should have romanced them better.
  • atarilbc and Lost Dragon like this

#16 AtariHero

AtariHero

Strawberry Member

• 48 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

One of the coolest little...surprises in I-War was going into the 3rd person behind-the-tank view when activating the shield. You get a 3D reflective sphere (not a perfect sphere, early 90s 3D chunky sphere) with reflective textures! To me, that is one of the coolest special effects on the Jaguar but it seems to get overlooked a lot since most people just play the game in first-person. Granted, the frame rate suffers when this shield is on...still looks very cool. :P

I liked I-War - didn't love it as I'm not a huge fan of teleport room mechanics and trying to keep track of that. That said I always had more fun with I-War than Hover Strike. Sure HSCD looked better but I-War felt like you were playing one of the tanks in TRON and I have a soft spot for tank games.

And yes, the soundtrack was great as the tempo and style fits this kind of game, just like the track in T2k was more energetic to fit with that faster pace of a game.

Given that this thread was started over a year ago I'm sure no tips are needed but as I can recall, playing with the heavy tank was the best way to start. It was slower but could take a beating. When you have you 'I-war legs', then the other tanks are good to use. Remember to use your map and you won't get lost; use your missiles for packed rooms but watch where you aim since those could collide with something else and blow up prematurely. 

Edited by AtariHero, 07 February 2017 - 12:18 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

Imagitec really were an odd Atari developer...

As an ex-520STFM owner by the time i bought my Jaguar, i remembered them for some pretty nifty ST coding in the early days by getting 8-way scrolling on the conversion of Netherworld, ok, only 8 colours on-screen, but impressive work, none the less.

They also converted Gemini Wing, which wasn't that great a coin-op to start with, converted Ferrari Forumula 1 to ST for E.A, so were pretty much known for the conversion work, cheap, fast, realiable..much like Tiertex...

But they seemed to invest too much into either clones....

Viking Child (wonder Boy)

Zone warrior (Turrican)..which split ST press, saw it get 92% and 39%

And the original projects:Space Junk, Freelancer 2120, just seemed to jump system to system.

So all things considered, surprised I-war actually made it to release on Jaguar.

#18 AtariHero

AtariHero

Strawberry Member

• 48 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

I had Viking Child on the Lynx since '98 or so and I tried REALLY hard to the like it...but Wonder Boy was certainly the superior game. I replayed it recently and if it had a soundtrack that Imagitec was known for at least later on, that would have helped tremendously.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#19 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:12 PM

Myself pretty much the same, gone back to Viking Child time and time again, but because i can play the superior games it cloned, i never really bother with the clone.

#20 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 177 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

There are many tactical shooter on the Jaguar (Hoverstrike C + CD, Iron Soldier 1 and 2, Cybermorph, Battlemorph and (ok, not so shiny) Aircars), which outshine the late published I-War. But it has its unique qualities: The Tron appeal, the music, the tricky levels.

Dear Lost Dragon. You certainly miss the Jaguar. The prices for Soft-and Hardware are rising. I would think about a purchase in an earnest way.

Oh, i write like Jane Austen. "Dear Mr. Abercrombie..."

Time to go to bed!

Edited by TeddyGermany, 08 February 2017 - 05:56 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users