Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

I-War!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Home conversion of Maximum Force HERE:

http://forums.atari....rsion-coverage/

Wonder if it would of fared better on a lesser system?

Might of been better recieved on Jaguar as it wasn't up agains't likes of HOTD, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop 1+2, Die Hard II section of Die Hard Trilogy etc, on PS1+saturn...

#42 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

@BlackCatz40:

Regarding the Jaguar 2MB Ram issue:

Not sure IF your aware, but concept wise, Highlander started out as a beat em up, using SGI characters, a la Rise Of The Robots, but this was abandoned as soon as developers realised you couldn't do this justice on a system with as they put it, a mere 2Mb of Ram...

#43 A31Chris

A31Chris

Strawberry Member

• 50 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:33 AM

Atari owl was never sure why the frame rate in highlander was so poor. He stated there's no reason for it to be really.

#44 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 165 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:18 AM

@BlackCatz40:

Regarding the Jaguar 2MB Ram issue:

Not sure IF your aware, but concept wise, Highlander started out as a beat em up, using SGI characters, a la Rise Of The Robots, but this was abandoned as soon as developers realised you couldn't do this justice on a system with as they put it, a mere 2Mb of Ram...

I have heard that Rise of the Robots was supposed to be released for the Jag. Yeah. It was also not really too much more expensive to up the RAM on the Jag. Atari were just cutting corners, that's all, without thinking that the Jag was being undermined as a result.

Edited by BlackCatz40, 14 December 2017 - 07:00 AM.

#45 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:08 AM

Don't get me wrong, but I like the way Highlander looks. I just don't know if it would have fared better as its previous concept as a beat-'em-up title. It might have done better that way, but there were so many titles like that in the 1990s. There would have been stiff competition, especially with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. It just needed more. Atari were just being cheap.

#46 A31Chris

A31Chris

Strawberry Member

• 50 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

Don't get me wrong, but I like the way Highlander looks. I just don't know if it would have fared better as its previous concept as a beat-'em-up title. It might have done better that way, but there were so many titles like that in the 1990s. There would have been stiff competition, especially with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. It just needed more. Atari were just being cheap.

It wouldn't have fared better. Not under Lore design. They seemed to be another grab the money and slop something together crew.
  • BlackCatz40 likes this

#47 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 165 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

It wouldn't have fared better. Not under Lore design. They seemed to be another grab the money and slop something together crew.

Yup. You are right about that.

#48 A31Chris

A31Chris

Strawberry Member

• 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:41 PM

There was something about the Euro Developers Atari hired. They had a wackiness to their game design style that just didn't go over well with most of the public.

And a lot of them seemed to be fly by nighters.

#49 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 197 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:28 AM

Isn't it nice, that Rise of the Robots never appeared on the Jaguar?
I like the fact!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users