Intellivision Imagic Ad

Rowsdower70

This is something that warms my gamer heart thinking back on those golden years, when titles evolved from first gen consoles to the next one.

Imagic put lots of effort into game design and cool playability. So it was rewarding to see beloved titles ported onto a system capable of expanding the graphical possibilities.

And Demon Attack and Atlantis already had the fun gameplay down pat, so there was no need to add many elements.

(Actually, I dunno if they changed anything in that regard. I'm speaking as a witness more than an experienced player of these specific Intellivision ports).

Yeah, seeing the popular arcade titles get increasingly sharper as the next consoles came along was so very exciting, promising for the future of home gaming.

The graphics on this version of Demon Attack indeed look amazing.

And speaking of Imagic - man oh man did I ever have tons of fun with Microsurgeon and Swords and Serpents (standalones, yeah, but any chance to mention how great these were, I'll take it)

The Intellivision Demon Attack added the boss level, if I remember right there wasn't the big devil ship on the Atari version.

I love Swords&Serpents a lot, and Microsurgeon is neat, but kinda boring after a time.  A great effort, and very unique.

I recently added Dracula, Beauty & the Beast, and Nova Blast (on its way) to my collection too.  

Needless to say, Imagic is one of my favorite developers.  Besides the great INTV games, they also have Dragonfire (which I like better on Atari), Cosmic Ark (an underrated game in my opinion), and Riddle of the Sphinx which is another Atari favorite of mine.  

I own Atlantis, but I'm terrible on all versions so far. :)

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Yeah that devil ship is breathtaking, actually.

I think I'm confused with Phoenix, with the idea it was on the 2600 version.

Both S&S and Microsurgeon were played with a buddy of mine I still see and chat retro, these days.

So, like Combat, my recalls of these unique Imagic titles are tied to a unique friendship.

We used to play these co-op (with S&S) or with dual controller control as we doctored away in the fantastic voyage offered by the medical simulator.

That's one thing very cool and unique the Intellivision offered - the use of either controller to play games could be transformed into interesting co-op.

I dunno if this was the case for every Mattel title but it sure was useful to avoid the sit-and-watch syndrome of single-player games.

And yeah, I can't hold champ title for any scoring games on the old consoles. I played for fun, beating my own scores.

But comparison with EG mag player reports left me in the dust.

Probably why I favored games with proper endings, like my days in the Realm, looking for the Chalice, or flying high to catch Lex and bridge pieces, or finding all the urn bits avoiding ghosties and bats (again) or becoming Star Master of the galaxy (imma have to expand on the greatness of this title's experience in the Star Wars days, at some point).

Don't forget Moon Sweeper! One of my favorite Imagic games on the 2600 (along with Cosmic Ark, Atlantis and Star Voyager). Yeah, Imagic RULED, and I always loved the cartridge design and shiny foil and rainbow labels too.

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)

"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)

"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

That always happens to me, that is, it seems like everything I favor goes under or bye-bye. My favorite consoles, favorite game companies, favorite TV shows, favorite restaurants...you name it, if I'm a fan, 90% of the time it goes under or away. :(  

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)

"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)

"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

That always happens to me, that is, it seems like everything I favor goes under or bye-bye. My favorite consoles, favorite game companies, favorite TV shows, favorite restaurants...you name it, if I'm a fan, 90% of the time it goes under or away. :(  

I have felt like that too. Lots of my fav TV shows only last a season and outside of the Genesis, I tended to support "runner up" systems (7800, Saturn, Gamecube)

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I have felt like that too. Lots of my fav TV shows only last a season and outside of the Genesis, I tended to support "runner up" systems (7800, Saturn, Gamecube)

I thought for some reason you were an SNES kid too.  

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I thought for some reason you were an SNES kid too.  

Nope, I got a Genesis before the SNES came out and stuck with it. Even got the Sega CD.

I didn't own a SNES until I found one at a garage sale for $5 with Super Mario World and Sim City.

I think that was in 2002.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Archived