Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The Art of Hiro Kimura

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

Hiro Kimura is an accomplished artist who did some of Atari's most notable box art, such as Centipede and E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. Hiro Kimura was born in a Buddhist temple in Kyoto and studied art in Hawaii and California. He's done work for Atari, Warner Communications, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, HP, IBM, Intel, Anheuser-Busch, Universal Studios, and even designed a USPS Postage Stamp!

I've always found Hiro Kimura to be an incredible talent, and felt that despite the game's reputation, the artwork for E.T. may have been the best of them all.

The Verge thought so highly of Hiro's artwork that they included E.T. in their profile "How Atari box art turned 8-bit games into virtual wonderlands". Andrew Weber included these warm thoughts about Hiro's work:

E.T.: The Extraterrestrial is the Atari’s most infamous game: it was so bad and sold so poorly that rumors persist that truckloads of unsold copies are buried somewhere in New Mexico. Someone is even making a documentary about it. But as notoriously bad as the game is, the cover is actually quite wonderful, capturing the feeling of the film in a way the game failed to do. It was the handiwork of Japanese artist Hiro Kimura, whose work has been featured by everyone from Coca-Cola and General Electric to the NFL and The New Yorker.

Hiro Kimura remains to this day one of my favorite Atari artists and I'd like to share with you some of his work:

ET_Manual_Cover.png

7800-Centipede-vgo.jpg

Cityflag.jpg

Iguana.jpg

Sushi.jpg

Dragonbusinessman.jpg

Kinglear.jpg

Basketball.jpg

Puppetshow2.jpg

Mardogras.jpg

George.jpg

Citysummer.jpg

Mercury2.jpg

This last one could have been a good contender for SwordQuest AirWorld

For more on Hiro Kimura: http://www.hirostudio.com

Profile.gif

• Justin, Doctor Octagon, RickR and 6 others like this

#2 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:45 PM

Sure that last one could have been for air world. That basketball one looks cool as well. Going to check out his stuff for sure.

#3 Doctor Octagon

Doctor Octagon

• 483 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:08 PM

I never knew he had made a stamp. That's really cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users