Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari I/O Retro Junk Box 3!

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#1 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

Hey guys! It's time to start thinking about the Atari I/O Retro Junk Box 3!

We're just finishing our second round of the Retro Junk Box and it has been a huge success. Lots of members are participating, lots of great "junk" passed around over thousands of miles, and overwhelmingly positive feedback. We'd really like to do it again.

We're going to take a little break first to enjoy the Holiday Season and have enough time to come back refreshed and get into the swing of things before we start Retro Junk Box 3.

Over the next few weeks many of us will be traveling, busy with other plans, wrapping up things at work and at home, and probably pretty tired of packing and shipping out boxes for the time being. We'll come back mid-January to begin the next Retro Junk Box, with sign-up running through January 20th.

:pole_position_blimp_big:   Sign Up By January 20, 2016 To Participate!

Here's how the Retro Junk Box works, with No Swear Gamer's rules expanded upon by me.

What It Is: Someone (RickR has graciously volunteered to get us started this round) fills a large USPS Priority Mail Flate Rate Box full of retro-related items and sends it to another member. They take out what they want, fill it back up and send it to the next person. It keeps going until it returns to the original sender.

History: The first Retro Junk Box started as a collaboration between The Retro League and Cartoon Retrocast podcasts. It has also been done by The Retroist and The Retro Junkies Network.

Who Can Participate: This is open to members in good standing who have reached Orange Status* (or successful traders with at least 50 posts here), have been a registered Atari I/O member for at least 90 days, live in the US and have been active in the forums or chats during the last month. (See your Avatar to see the fruits you have earned).

* Orange Status is mysteriously rewarded between 100 & 150 posts. 

What is Required: Participants must send the box out within 3 days of getting it, pay for the postage to send it out ($18.75) and must post a photo or video of what they took out. (leave the rest as a mystery!)

Items Taken Out MUST Be Replaced With Items Of Equal Or Greater Value: The Retro Junk Box celebrates the generous and friendly spirit of the forums! Those who participate will be expected to contribute to the spirit of the Retro Junk Box, and must replenish the box with items of an equal or greater value than what they chose to take out.

Those who abuse the generosity of other participants will be denied the opportunity of participating again. Egregious violations will result in the offending member losing prize and event participation privileges, or worse, being removed from the site.

Other Notes: Since it is free to do so with Priority Mail, I would insure the box for $50 to help pay to fill another one in the unlikely event that the USPS ever lost it. Please keep the box mostly (at least 51%) gaming related. Newer items are ok if they are retro related in some way. Please try to be fair in what you replace value wise and please no duplicate games on the same system. Please avoid putting in broken items/games if possible.  Please use packing material to fill in nooks and crannies to prevent items from getting broken. (Plastic bags work good for this)

Feel free to reuse and decorate the box!

If you meet the requirements and agree to the terms, please let me know by responding to the thread along with what state you are located in so we can begin to order the list. DO NOT POST YOUR FULL ADDRESS HERE   :)

Also, if you need to be on a certain spot on the list, because you won't be available later, let us know (for instance, if you are going on a trip or work assignment).

• The Professor, greenween, RickR and 5 others like this

#2 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,663 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

RickR has already volunteered to start this round!

• Justin, The Professor, greenween and 3 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,779 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

Oh crap, now I'm committed!

Just kidding.  Yep, I plan to start putting together a worthy junk box and have it ready early January.  Sign up folks, but please make sure to carefully read the rules of the road above.  And join us if you wish.  Thanks! 

• Justin, The Professor, greenween and 6 others like this

#4 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

Great Rick!

• The Professor, Arenafoot, nosweargamer and 1 other like this

#5 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

I totally want to get in on this one!
  • Justin, The Professor, RickR and 2 others like this

#6 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:54 PM

For the good of all mankind, I will participate!

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 4 others like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#7 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 981 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

I'll probably have to sit it out again.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#8 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,663 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

Ya know I'm In!

• Justin, RickR and AlamoAtari like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#9 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,779 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:19 PM

Any chance of a Moderator joining us this time?  B) :vulcan_salute:

• greenween, Arenafoot, nosweargamer and 2 others like this

#10 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,159 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

Add me to the list, please!

• Justin, RickR, nosweargamer and 2 others like this

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

#11 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,779 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:08 PM

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but Junk Box 3 now has an actual physical box assembled.  Now to start filling it up.....with good junk.....

Attached Thumbnails

• atari 002.JPG

• Justin, Arenafoot, nosweargamer and 1 other like this

#12 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,176 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but Junk Box 3 now has an actual physical box assembled.  Now to start filling it up.....with good junk.....

THE BOX...........is ALIVE!!!!

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#13 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,779 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

Bumping this thread up.  Join up...the junk box 3 is coming very soon. 

• Justin and The Professor like this

#14 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

I got the goods!

• The Professor and RickR like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#15 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

Any word on whether our illustrious moderators might join us this time?  

• RickR likes this

#16 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,277 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:12 AM

Ok im in. Special thanks to rick and rows for convincing me to do it

Edited by jmjustin6, 03 January 2016 - 01:13 AM.

• RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#17 correagonzalez

correagonzalez

Pretzel Member

• 390 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

This is great just dont if I have the qualifications needed to enter๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•

Edited by correagonzalez, 03 January 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#18 correagonzalez

correagonzalez

Pretzel Member

• 390 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

Can anyone or moderator let me know if i can participate on this i dont have orange status but i have more than 50 posts on the forum thanks.
  • Justin and Doctor Octagon like this

#19 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,779 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Can anyone or moderator let me know if i can participate on this i dont have orange status but i have more than 50 posts on the forum thanks.

I can vouch for correagonzalez.  I've had several trades with him that went well. 

• Justin, Doctor Octagon and Rowsdower70 like this

#20 Doctor Octagon

Doctor Octagon

• 483 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

Rules say "or successful traders with at least 50 posts here" sounds good to me  :thumb:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users