Anyone here own or ever own an INTV 2 and 3?

Bakerman

I remember seeing an INTV, either 2 or 3 back in the late 80's as a Toys-R-Us while picking up some 7800 games. I looked at it briefly (it had a white and red motif) and I saw a screen shot on the back of the box for Commando, and it looked pretty good, at least as good as the 7800 version I had then. But I was all Atari all the time back then, so I never did get one. Obviously it didn't last a long or wasn't even as "popular" as the 7800 :unsure: , like that's saying much. But I haven't seen one in years. I think it was a INTV 2, but I seem to recall hearing about a number 3 at some point too, does an INTV 3 exist? I at least know the 2 does, I saw it in person. But I never see anything about either on any forums that have INTV sub-forums...maybe I need to go to an INTV exclusive forum? Anyway, I'll do a search a post a pic of the one I saw at TRU at least.

mattel-intellivision-ii-console.jpg

Intellivision-II-Console-Set.jpg

Edited by Bakerman

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)

"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)

"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

DSCF2237.jpgIntellivisionComputer.jpg

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)

"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)

"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

I think those above pics go with the INTV 2 or turn the INTV 1 into a two or something, not sure yet...will do more research.

Yep, there was an INTV 3 as well, it looks more like the original. Anyone ever tried the 2 or 3? how good are the graphics/games? NES/Master System/7800 quality? better? O.K., I just found out the INTV 3 was never released, so that's that, but what about the INTV 2? Anyone ever own or play it?

INTV-System-III-Console.jpg

Edited by Bakerman

Sorry for all the posts before anyone even replied, but I just had to do some research into it all, I couldn't wait. Apparently the INTV II is just a redesigned INTV 1, but I do remember seeing Commando for the INTV 2, so then, is Commando a INTV 1 game?!?

Never mind, I found images of Commando for Intellivision, and my memory must be bad, because it looks nothing like what I thought I remembered and it doesn't hold a candle to 7800/Atari 8-bit/NES commando games. It definitely looks like Commando on the same old INTV hardware, not that that is bad, I just was thinking a new INTV system had come out with graphics as good as the other post-1984 consoles.

Edited by Bakerman

I have only the INTVII with Voice module and some games. Would LOVE someday to get the model based on original design (IE the model 1 or 3 or TandyVision etc) just something about that original design. Otherwise would LOVE the SEARS ARCADE MODEL though that is unlikely lol. 

Z0080969.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I own an INTV II.  I love the design, its purty...but it does have a lockout chip.  This affects a few coleco titles and even one of their own releases.

I have seen the III and I think its sleek and purdy, I love the  power LED, but they tend to be kinda expensive.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

There's also the Intellivision Super Pro System - similar to the INTV III: (and no I only own the original INTV)

post-52-0-10916100-1449532870_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-11802000-1449532884_thumb.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

My buddy had an Intellivision II back in the VCS days.

It had a fairer price than its big brother and we'd play gems like:

Utopia (the deathmatch arena of its day - and Sid Meier might've took it to the next level, but we were less sleep-deprived playing 15-20 minute matches than years later on Sid's evolved PC upgrade where the sun could rise before the end of those last rounds for the night).

Astrosmash (might be the only game on which I could pull marathon-play until I didn't care anymore)

- "Man, I'm beating all the records, how many hours have I been playing?"

- "20 minutes"

- "That's it, let's go for a soda"

Lock N'Chase (my buddy or one of his younger siblings had this one on in perpetuity)

So much fun and very original, it made the argument against 'Pac-Man clones' and helped beef up the 'Maze game' genre side of things.

Night Stalker (Kolch...I mean Night Stalker is still a perennial favorite of mine and a great one to show off the INTV's qualities: *The* running man, tense background sounds, higher-detailed bushy maze and dangerous bots and bats (again!) and spider sprites making George Plimpton proud of his endorsements)

The TRON series

Okay, so I never played these on the INTV II. Played 'em on rented original woodgrain console a year or so beforehand..

But it's TRON, man! It's metaphysical jazz! Ya gotta talk about it!

All this to say, Baker, that the graphics were fine, but same, on the II.

And yeah, the controllers were not an improvement.

But it was fun.

Intellivision III should not be confused with INTV System III shown above. INTV System III is just the original Intellivision spruced up a bitl. Intellivision had two more systems in development when Mattel pulled the plug.

Intellivision III was in development and intended for 1984. It would've had 320 x 192 resolution, nearly infinite colors, 64 sprites on screen at once, and 3 colors per sprite plus the background. Graphically it would have been a leap over Atari 5200 and ColecoVision, closer to the 7800. Intellivision III also beat Atari with bundled wireless controllers and home stereo connectivity. Heres more:

Intellivision III: http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/intelli3_tech.html

Intellivision III Press Release: http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/intelli3_pr.html

Intellivision III Brochure:

attachicon.gifINTV3_1.jpg

attachicon.gifINTV3_2.jpg

attachicon.gifINTV3_3.jpg

attachicon.gifINTV3_4.jpg

attachicon.gifINTV3_5.jpg

Intellivision IV would have come later and would've been something altogether different, you can read about it here: http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/intelli4_tech.html

Intellivision IV artwork

attachicon.gifintelli4.gif

Thanks for clearing that up, while i was researching I did find out that the INTV 3 was an unreleased system, but I posted pics of the INTV System 3 because I didn't know any better. Man Mattel liked to confuse people, didn't they? Sort of like Microsoft with the Xbox, then 360, then One! just imagine a couple generations from now, in about 30 years or so and how confused collectors will be with Xbox systems if they are just discovering them for the first time, or know little about them like myself and INTV systems!

Edited by Bakerman

INTV Corp. did later release a so-called "Intellivision III", but it had no relation whatsoever to the unreleased INTV III which was being developed and then cancelled by Mattel. The INTV Intellivision III was little more than a slightly spruced up and rebranded Intellivision II, functionally identical to its predecessor.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.