Coleco Chameleon (formerly Retro VGS)

Atari Creep

More from Mark Thomann, the owner of the Coleco brand and President of River West Brands:

"Our intention is genuine, to come out with something unique under the Coleco brand. If that's not happening with this group [RetroVGS] we'll be doing it with someone else. Sometimes when you have something like this happen, maybe there's a group out there that can do it, and help us introduce a better product.

Any partner we do business with has to be 100 percent transparent. If that's not the case, we're not going to go forward with any partnership, license or otherwise. A lot of this is new information to me. But we have great relationships with other companies, and we will produce new products for Coleco fans."

[Via] Nintendo Life

Coleco seems to be a great company and hope to buy their products in the future.

I can't agree. "Coleco" is just a brand name owned by a hedge fund manager to make money. "Coleco" doesn't have manufacturing, employees, it doesn't exist as a real business, just the name that River West Brands owns. I love the original ColecoVision and agree with you that I would love to see new quality Coleco products come out. Coleco should have been much more vigilant in doing their due diligence, they should have known exactly what RetroVGS had developed, set benchmarks for inspections, and they should have made Mike Kennedy sign a non-disclosure preventing him and his team from making any public statements about the product until it had passed those first few benchmarks to prove to "Coleco" that what they had was real. This debacle could have badly damaged Coleco's brand in the public mind. They should have been more on top of things.

Also, River West Brands ("Coleco") could've provided guidance in this. They are legitimate business people. They could have introduced Mike to their bank, set benchmarks, held Mikes hand and walked him through some of these tough decisions that had to be made early on. Providing guidance and setting benchmarks would have made sure everything was legitimate and would've protected the Coleco name.

Coleco is actually stepping up, since the Chameleon mess, and asking what we want!...... for the return of the Coleco Tabletops.......

https://www.facebook.com/1616402778636687/photos/a.1623318027945162.1073741828.1616402778636687/1699779790298985/?type=3&theater

12795382_1699779790298985_22676969821308

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

my response to Coleco:

1.) Where's the molds from the original run in 1982? It would keep costs down (just like the Retro VGS/Chameleon) to repurchase/aquire the original plastic shell molds (like they did buying the Atari Jaguar molds).

2.) I'm guessing the VFD displays are not do-able today, so LED screens would have to be used.

3.) Keep it under $100 each. If at all possible under $50 (but they were $59.99 in 1982 when the originals came out)

4.) Titles: would like to see the original Coleco "in development" titles finally released: Berzerk, DK Jr., & Omega Race, and possibly a mini MAME/multicade type of unit. Others would be Joust, Dig Dug, Burgertime, Rally-X

5.) Most important! A "working" model - don't copy the Chameleon.

6.) Would they run on 4 "C" batteries and/or the original Coleco Perma-Power adapter? Updated with a rechargeable battery built-in, maybe.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

my response to Coleco:

1.) Where's the molds from the original run in 1982? It would keep costs down (just like the Retro VGS/Chameleon) to repurchase/aquire the original plastic shell molds (like they did buying the Atari Jaguar molds).

That's a cool idea. My guess is they have no idea where the molds are as River West Brands did not purchase the assets of the "Coleco" company, they simply registered the "Coleco" trademark. I could be wrong but I suspect they don't have original paperwork or tooling.

Yeah, I don't see the molds existing so many years later but you never know I suppose. I think $99 would be a sweet spot if it ended up being a premium little machine. I don't know how or if it would be possible, but if Coleco can put a Tempest machine in mini form on my desk for under $125, I'm down! :D

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Yeah, I don't see the molds existing so many years later but you never know I suppose. I think $99 would be a sweet spot if it ended up being a premium little machine. I don't know how or if it would be possible, but if Coleco can put a Tempest machine in mini form on my desk for under $125, I'm down! :D

like this:

post-52-0-48631000-1457762574_thumb.jpg

;) For all that doubted the Coleco Chameleon dream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKR1XNsHKeU

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I feel that the Coleco company is genuine, though, if they didn't care about their products or customers, they wouldn't have done that. Yes, they could have done better, but at least they care about their brand name unlike ANOTHER company I know *COUGH*ATARI*COUGH*

Edited by leolinden

Retro obsessed dude