Coleco Chameleon (formerly Retro VGS)

Atari Creep

The Kickstarter for Retro VGS starts on September 14th, 2015

and its a 45 day long kickstarter too

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I think they're going to need that time for sure and there better be some actual tech specs at that point otherwise this thing is going nowhere quickly. Is there any talk or idea on what the estimated target goal is? I guess the assumption is that they'll sell at least 10k units?

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Retro VGS specs released..............

System Specifications
Disclaimer: We reserve right to make improvements and appropriate adjustments as necessitated by forces outside of our control.

Processing
Unprecedented massive parallel processing at bit level via FPGA (field-programmable gate array) with 49,000 logic elements (LEs), programmable via cartridge and/or media processor—the ultimate game enhancement chip!
Fast sequential processing through media processor with 32-bit ARM Cortex-A8 @ 1.2 GHz, 3-D processor, blitter, and more

Memory
1 GiB high-bandwidth dual-channel 32-bit DDR3-1600 DRAM (102.4 Gbps) via media processor
384 MiB fast 24-bit DDR DRAM and 32 MiB SDR DRAM via FPGA
1 MiB shared DMA buffer

Cartridge Interface
Durable USA-made application-appropriate edge connector with thick gold on contacts
Media independent, supporting multiple data bus widths and switching voltage levels
Bus transfer speed: variable, up to 1.6 Gbps

Game Controller Interface
4 USB (Universal Serial Bus) ports (standard A) for included game controllers, etc.
2 plastic DE-9P (male) connectors with variable pinout for any classic game controller with mating connector, or similar player-built game controllers

Host Connector
1 USB port (standard B) to host PC or other Retro VGS console for synchronized play

Audio/Video Output
Simultaneous video output via digital HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) and analog intermediate frequency (IF) NTSC (PAL support under consideration), so game sessions may easy be captured or recorded
HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) support planned
Power output for Sony RFU modules, for connection to televisions without line in
Resolution: up to 1920 × 1080 from media processor and/or FPGA; media processor may overlay, upscale, and otherwise process video from FPGA
Frame rate (maximum):
From media processor: 30 Hz and 60 Hz (up to 1080p/60)
From FPGA: 1080p up to 30 Hz (1080p/30) and 720 up to 60 Hz (720p/60), may be upscaled by media processor to 1080p/60
Color palette: up to 24-bit true color (>16.7 million colors) from media processor and/or FPGA
High-resolution audio output, with bi-directional audio interface between media processor and FPGA enabling flexible audio processing

Connectivity
9-pin mini DIN: RGB or component using Sega Genesis MK II/Nomad/32X cables
4-pin mini DIN: S-Video (Y/C)
RCA (yellow): composite CVBS (color, video, blanking, and sync)
RCA (white): left channel audio or mono audio (if right channel not connected)
RCA (red): right channel audio

Power
External global power adapter with cable/plug included for destination country

Cooling
Convection-cooled, no noisy fan to wear out

Regulatory Certifications
Global: CSA, EU CE, US FCC, US UL, etc.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

https://www.facebook.com/RETROVGS/posts/879614222107849

"Will YOU be one of the first 500 backers to score an Early Bird Black Retro VGS for $299? Or go for one of the exclusive colors for $349? Decisions that will need to be made in the coming days! The countdown has officially begun."

First 500 for $299/each ??????     #501 will be $___ (maybe $499 each)?

https://www.facebook.com/RETROVGS/posts/879614222107849

"Will YOU be one of the first 500 backers to score an Early Bird Black Retro VGS for $299? Or go for one of the exclusive colors for $349? Decisions that will need to be made in the coming days! The countdown has officially begun."

First 500 for $299/each ??????     #501 will be $___ (maybe $499 each)?

I enjoyed reading the comments on that page.

As for me I already own every console I want to play and there are new games and hacks coming out keeping these systems alive.

Looking forward to SoCal Mike's next project in his quest to build a classic gaming business empire.

⚠️ THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/475-theretrocade/?p=7683

prices are not just for system but to help fund company and future developement as well.

Why on earth would anybody pay that much?

I understand both points, but the fact is any company making a consumer product asks the customer to grow the business by giving them a desired product at an attractive price. Typically, businesses don't ask for donations but for investors who will financially profit if the company succeeds. Getting in and staying in the console business is tough. Just ask Coleco, Mattel, Magnavox NEC, 3DO, Sega, Atari and many others.

I'm a retro fan. There are a lot of things I like about the VGS. I like the guys behind it. I want it to succeed. But as someone who is familiar with the history of gaming, I know that it is foolish to buy a system based on promises of what is to come without any firm evidence that it will come out or a  proven track record. Ironically, the Atari Jaguar, from which the VGS system shell is based, is a prime example of this and they had more support and a better track record. They promised a VR system, an all in one CD and cartridge system, real hits like Mortal Kombat 3 and even a Jaguar 2.  Even the Tiny Toon's game originally shown when it first came out never surfaced. If you bought the system based on the promises, you would've been disappointed.

Originally they were going for a cartridge based system that could produce up to Neo Geo graphics.  There were talks of bringing new games from popular franchises to the system. The goal price was $150. This excited me. I was very much considering saving up to buy one.

Now the price has doubled so, from what I understand, it can be able to do more. But most of the titles announced can already be purchased elsewhere and no established franchises from the past have been announced. Not only has my excitement waned, but now I couldn't afford one if I wanted.

I wish they would have stuck to the original plan and if that was successful, then they could've announced a follow up system. Perhaps it would have also been more economical to wait for some tech prices to lower.

The timing is also bad because right now at Walmart for the same early bird price you can buy a Wii-U with Mario Maker and pixelated Mario Amiibo. Of course  for a little more you could get a Xbox One or PS4 or you could get a 3DS (my current favorite system) with some games.

So basically, let's pretend I had an extra $300 in my pocket.

I could buy:

1) A bunch of retro games and maybe some systems I don't have like a Colecovision or Atari XE

2) The Wii-U Mario Maker Bundle

3) The Retro VGS basic set

I'm sorry, but right now #3 would be trailing.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Why on earth would anybody pay that much?

not me!

prices are not just for system but to help fund company and future developement as well.

Uh huh. Tell that to critics of the pharmaceutical companies. That's not how economics work. Imagine if Nintendo sold the Wii U for $699 "to help fund the company and future development of the NX." They'd go out of business.

Most successful companies make a decent profit on their product and reinvest much of that profit back into the company, to develop new products and cover R&D expenses. They know how much a majority of people are willing to pay for their product, and they release it without jacking up the price beyond what most people are willing to spend.

There are only so many people willing to pay that much money, and $300+ is a lot of money to most gamers especially if there's a wife who thinks that's too much money to spend on a "toy". Nosweargamer points out just how low on the totem-pole this purchase would be, too. I don't want to be the naysayer and I like these guys and what they're doing but that's a lot of money to spend on something like that. They need to do actual market research. I wish them the best of luck but they've priced it out of my price range.

Uh huh. Tell that to critics of the pharmaceutical companies. That's not how economics work. Imagine if Nintendo sold the Wii U for $699 "to help fund the company and future development of the NX." They'd go out of business.

Most successful companies make a decent profit on their product and reinvest much of that profit back into the company, to develop new productsamd cover R&D expenses. They know how much a majority of people are willing to pay for their product, and they release it without jacking up the price beyond what most people are willing to spend.

There are only so many people willing to pay that much money, and $300+ is a lot of money to most gamers especially if there's a wife who thinks that's too much money to spend on a "toy". Nosweargamer points out just how low on the totem-pole this purchase would be, too. I don't want to be the naysayer and I like these guys and what they're doing but that's a lot of money to spend on something like that. They need to do actual market research. I wish them the best of luck but they've priced it out of my price range.

the only thing is RVGS is a Start up, Nintendo been in business since the 80's.

To have start up be succusfull they have make enough to pay devolopers, manufacturing etc.

why do think people on shark tank ask for 100,000 or more from the sharks to keep them going

it is a bit pricy for me too,I think of as of inventment. the system will most likely be used for convention only since I

have 2600 and a 7800 (hoping the power suplly I purchased from ebay works on my 7800 to see if it works)

I see the price for system go down after kickstarter (you also have to figure the cost kickstarter and Stripe (they dropped Amazon) take out as well)

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

thought they said the Kickstarter started Sept 15th..... wonder what happened............

"There is a lot of work and expense to prototype a consumer product and to do it right. Our team is confident that the architecture and circuit design they have spent almost a year on will work as planned. We have been fortunate to already have the shell and cartridge prototypes and controller prototypes all in hand and that is a large part of this venture. We have established relationships with the largest electronics distributors in the country and have a local contract PCBA manufacturer ready and waiting to start producing. The prototyping of the console electronics itself will come together soon after we are funded."

Yup, no prototype and apparently that goes against the rules of Kickstarter, hence the switch.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

"There is a lot of work and expense to prototype a consumer product and to do it right. Our team is confident that the architecture and circuit design they have spent almost a year on will work as planned. We have been fortunate to already have the shell and cartridge prototypes and controller prototypes all in hand and that is a large part of this venture. We have established relationships with the largest electronics distributors in the country and have a local contract PCBA manufacturer ready and waiting to start producing. The prototyping of the console electronics itself will come together soon after we are funded."

Yup, no prototype and apparently that goes against the rules of Kickstarter, hence the switch.

I bow to the master :) no big. if your on a reward site that gives paypal it would cost you close to nothing if earned enough points to cover just saying.

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

Here's some more from the VGS guys:

Time for damage control :)

First off, Indiegogo has been courting us for the past 4 months and have gone above and beyond doing whatever they can to get our campaign running over there. They have been accommodating and pro-active with us while Kickstarter could care less about what I feel could be a very substantial campaign.

Next, to address the prototyping situation and Kickstarter. We've had a variety of conversations directly with them, especially since OUYA never showed anything near a prototype, and also after seeing a current (laughable) campaign like this get approved: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/158432866/nomo-android-game-console-without-microtransaction?ref=discovery

They have indicated that they don't really require a "working" prototype even though their policies clearly state otherwise. We have received their approval but are still moving away from them since they wouldn't actually change that verbiage to accommodate our (and I am sure other legitimate hardware ventures) situation. And we don't want to raise any red flags with potential backers not understanding exactly where we are in our development process.

Next, Indiegogo also offers a Fixed Funding option which works just like Kickstarter. We don't get the money unless we reach our minimum goal. So please don't immediately jump to conclusions without learning more about that venue :)

Guys, we have dedicated over a year getting to the point we are today. Everything is in place to prepare us for the more costly prototyping phase. I have confidence in my team who have a career in software/hardware development to deliver in spades and ship this product within a years time. So just check out our campaign when it goes live and make your decisions based on all the final information. We will be bringing our backers on the front lines of console development, from the extensive prototyping to production and everything in between via weekly updates and videos.

Hey, Indiegogo also accepts Paypal so that is a good perk as well. Hold tight and stay positive. We are getting ready to turn it on soon. Just a few last minute things need to fall into place. Hoping for a Saturday activation.