Coleco Chameleon (formerly Retro VGS)

Atari Creep

Is there no way for the public to see funding progress?

The progress is in the upper right hand corner of the page - as of right now they are 3% there with $52,706 raised out of $1.95 mill goal (149 people in 13 hours).

I didn't think they would have set a goal that high! And I don't see the other colors available on there neither.........

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I was quite interested when I first started hearing about the RVGS though I was cautiously optimistic. By now though considering they don't even have a real prototype yet and then the console projected price increase and now the insane funding goal all I can think is.............

post-15-0-98027100-1442867868.png

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

It looks like for the most part, after the initial funding, contributions have stopped.

In the past four days, they have only raised $5,000 at this has not budged the 3% raised mark.

If this doesn't improve soon, they may want to consider pulling the project and rethink on how to make the VGS successful.

post-303-0-45808100-1443207844.png

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Mike Kennedy did comment about payments getting dropped for Retro VGS

Hey Everyone,

We have confirmed, according to our IGG rep that Paypal is canceling some pledges for no reason(having to do with something triggering their fraud dept), and we are discussing with them now. We found out when one large backer said his pledge was reversed and he told us about it. Have any of you had this happen? If so let us know as we don’t know if it’s an isolated incident or happing frequently.

We will keep on keepin’ on!

Mike

so it seems that PayPal has issues with the pledges

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

Mike Kennedy did comment about payments getting dropped for Retro VGS

There was also a guy who posted on their FB page, that he canceled his pledge (Don't know how you do that on the site they are on).

From reading some of the comments under his post, apparently he was a pretty big supporter of theirs, but has not like how things have turned out. I wouldn't be surprised if others followed his lead.

I was going to post what he said, but guess what? They (Retro VGS) no longer allow people to post to their page, only to respond to their posts. In addition, it seems they have started responding to some of the criticism by name calling. They called the criticism from Pat's show "Drunken Commentary". Even if everyone on that  show was severely under the influence of something, it's best to respect their opinion rather than respond like that. Either address it directly or ignore it.

They also have started calling some of their critics "haters" and seemingly blaming them, but when doing so, did not make it clear if any criticism is valid. (see pic below) When you put out something this ambitious, you will have people who have valid questions and criticisms. Name me one system that didn't? If you start attacking part of your target audience instead of trying to win them back, you not only alienate them, but also people who have honest questions about the system, but think they are being called haters even if they are not.

post-303-0-37075300-1443239289.png

I hate to say this, but this is getting ugly. I think there was a portion of gamers who had fair questions, but felt ignored or belittled for  their opinions. And I think some of the Retro VGS people are feeling frustrated at the lack of support after working very hard to get their project up and might be starting to lash back. This is getting ugly. Hopefully they can turn the ship around. 

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

https://youtu.be/Pi10cm1pQXM

Demo of Retro VGS

Well that was short.......and NOT informative...........

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

There was also a guy who posted on their FB page, that he canceled his pledge (Don't know how you do that on the site they are on).

From reading some of the comments under his post, apparently he was a pretty big supporter of theirs, but has not like how things have turned out. I wouldn't be surprised if others followed his lead.

I was going to post what he said, but guess what? They (Retro VGS) no longer allow people to post to their page, only to respond to their posts. In addition, it seems they have started responding to some of the criticism by name calling. They called the criticism from Pat's show "Drunken Commentary". Even if everyone on that  show was severely under the influence of something, it's best to respect their opinion rather than respond like that. Either address it directly or ignore it.

They also have started calling some of their critics "haters" and seemingly blaming them, but when doing so, did not make it clear if any criticism is valid. (see pic below) When you put out something this ambitious, you will have people who have valid questions and criticisms. Name me one system that didn't? If you start attacking part of your target audience instead of trying to win them back, you not only alienate them, but also people who have honest questions about the system, but think they are being called haters even if they are not.

attachicon.gifvgs comment.png

I hate to say this, but this is getting ugly. I think there was a portion of gamers who had fair questions, but felt ignored or belittled for  their opinions. And I think some of the Retro VGS people are feeling frustrated at the lack of support after working very hard to get their project up and might be starting to lash back. This is getting ugly. Hopefully they can turn the ship around.

I've never really said this publicly before, for the sake of avoiding unnecessary flattery, but No Swear Gamer is someone I've listened to and held in very high regard for many years. I was really happy to see him take a leading role in this community. I don't know him personally but feel like I know him through his podcasts and probably listen to him as much as anyone else. Phil has always struck me as a very humble, very genuine person. He gives opinions based on fact not hype (in my opinion this is what John Lester / Gamester81 does) and Phil has been very fair in his approach I think. To see him share some of his own trepidations about the Retro VGS make me feel a little bit more at ease with mine. I don't want to unfairly hate on something or be overly critical, yet that's how I felt about myself. Really until just now. To see Phil No Swear Gamer say "This is getting ugly" makes me feel like I'm not alone in thinking the same. And I think that's an ominous sign for Retro VGS. Just my 2c.

AGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Can't they get their story straight!!!! It is really hard to trust a business that keeps changing the story.

Just be straight and honest, or just be silent. BTW, I was following this project closely and didn't hear about the switch until the week of their Kickstarter launch.

From Retro VGS FB:

One last thing. I can address the quick move to IGG from KS. We were Kickstarter bound up until recently when I read a post in the RVGS NeoGaf thread posting the KS policies about having an "explicit" working demonstration of a prototype to run a hardware campaign. Now, up until then I have and had seen hardware projects on there without any showing or mention of a prototype so didn't know this was a "thing". I then called them on it at the last minute....

From this last update:

#3: We didn’t switch to Indiegogo at the last minute.

#4: We didn’t switch to Indiegogo because we didn’t have a working prototype.

Edited by nosweargamer

BTW, I laughed when the guy called his kitchen table the Retro VGS lab  :D

It doesn't bother me at all, but it is kinda funny that the 2 million dollar development of a system is taking place there!

I appreciate all the kind words, Yo-Yo!

I'm trying to be very level headed with this project. And actually, I may, in the near future, reveal how the Retro VGS could win me back.

I'm trying to be very level headed with this project. And actually, I may, in the near future, reveal how the Retro VGS could win me back.

That would be nice, I'd like to hear that :)

I feel like this is a group of good guys who got in over their heads. I'll stay open minded and maybe they will pull it off.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Comatose Curt Vendel can take a sigh of relief cuz of the attention taken away from his criminally negligent management of the Atari 7800 XM.

I don't see how he can breathe a sigh of relief yet. He did good things once but destroyed his reputation with deceptive practices and sociopathic behavior that's borderline criminal in my opinion, then hides behind his henchmen like a baby. He's the Richard Nixon of Atari.

:pow_big:

I haven't been able to do lot of audio recording lately, but I did get a few moments to record this video.

In it I summarize how the Retro VGS became a mess and 5 steps on how it can win gamers like myself back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfZwNCLC0tU