Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Jaguar Memories

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

One of the last Atari consoles I would obtain by miracle, if not by accident.  It was Christmas 1994.  I was living with my Grandmother to help take care of her and taking Computer Science classes at the local community college.  My Mother lived with her new husband in a town 2 hours away.  I would visit her on weekends.

On one cold November day my Grandmother asked me what I would like to have for Christmas.  I really didn't know because I had not thought of anything.  Was there anything I needed for my car?  Nope...couldn't think of anything (I had a '79 Monte Carlo with T-Tops at the time).  I didn't need anything for college.  So, I walked down the hill, three blocks away, from where we lived and paid the old Radio Shack that was once there a visit.  https://www.google.c...0cf465ad78e!3e0

(I'm providing a map so the distance can be seen.)

I looked in the store for anything.  Nothing of particular interest.  I asked about any video games and they pointed to the large catalog they had bolted to the counter.  I flipped through it.  Nintendo, Sega, Atari...Atari?!?  I flipped to the Atari section.  I seen the 2600 stuff and some 7800 stuff.  They still had 5200 items as well but no 5200 consoles so I passed on those.  On the next page, in bold lettering, was "Atari Jaguar".  That ad I got in the mail during the summer immediately came to mind.  "Raw 64-bit Power!"..."Do The Math!"  For $225 you could get a console with A/V cables, two controllers, and two games called "Cybermorph" and "Iron Soldier".  I wrote it down and ran, back up the hill (seriously, this hill is murder at any age if you have to even walk up it).  

Huffing and puffing I went into the bedroom, shuffled through one of the nightstand drawers beside the bed, and pulled out the ad we held on to.  I immediately showed Granny the ad.  "What's this dear?"  Sometimes I forgot that my Grandmother was legally blind even if after surgery she could see colors and outlines...but was still blind.  I told about the Atari console in the ad.  She goes, "Is that what you want?"  I gave an excited yes and said I wrote it down if you would like to get it when I'm not here.  She handed me her Radio Shack credit card and sent me back down the hill.  She didn't want others to know what she was doing (bless her heart).  She never did.  They would know after I unwrapped it but by then why bother.  Granny spoiled me every chance she got and the rest of family never understood it.  Heck...I never understood it but I didn't complain.

So, I placed the order.  Radio Shack called my Grandmother for her approval for me to use the card.  They were family friends but still needed authorization for using cards by people other than whose name was on the card.  Order placed, I went back home and looked through the ad.  "Did they have more games?"  I told her I didn't look and I didn't want her to get any more until we knew for certain just how good the "Atari Jaguar" was going to be.

After a while we both sort of forgot about the order.  Her Radio Shack bill didn't come in before the holidays because it was one of those no payments for a few days sales pitch.  We got a call one Saturday.  "We have your order", they said to my Grandmother.  She sent me to retrieve it.  I almost forgot what it was.  When I got home she told me to open it and make sure everything was there.  The system, extra controller, A/V cable, and one game, Iron Soldier, was in the box.  Where was the other game?  The system box didn't say anything about a game inside.  So we opened it.  Cybermorph was there so both games present.

"Well, since it's opened you might as well try it out.  Just make sure you can make it look like it wasn't opened later."  Granny said.  I laughed.  Hooked up to her RCA Hi-Fi 27" console TV that swiveled the Jaguar showed its stuff.  Cybermorph came first.  I played around and explored the game a bit.  Eh...not too bad.  That was my first impression.  Then I popped in Iron Soldier.  I wasn't suppose to open that one...opps.  I sat for two or three hours with that game.  Then I had to pack it all back up and place it in the bedroom closet to be wrapped up before Christmas.  You know how hard it was to know that a game machine was in that closet and I couldn't play it until Christmas Eve?  I tried playing the Genesis and SuperNES I had and they just didn't cut it anymore.  There were a few times at night after she went to sleep with her TV on and blaring (an every night thing) where I would drag it out and play for a little bit then put it up.  I know...I was bad.

Christmas Eve came and it was time to unwrap the Jaguar.  Finally!  But...I had to save it for last.  First gifts were the usual:  a new sweatsuit, some new pants, socks, and shirts, and a few new movies of Disney favors.  Then came the Jaguar.  I couldn't be happier!  Or so I thought.  Another surprise package came from my Aunt.  In a box usually for clothes was some more games for the system.  They had found a few in Springfield's Battlefield Mall on clearance and grabbed a few.  While there was no Tempest 2000 there was I*War, Syndicate, and Wolfenstein 3D.  I was set for one helluva winter!  

The Jaguar left an impression that year in such a way that I was glad to have taken a chance on it.  The family members involved to this point in Christmas gifts to me I no longer have.  I don't think they ever knew just how much I appreciated all those Christmases I had with them...and all the other times I spent with them as well and not just around the holidays.  They knew what I enjoyed the most and went out of their way to fill that hobby.  I didn't have to ask and in some ways it felt like that was their way of rewarding me for what I was doing from my Grandmother, who I had been helping take care of since I was 10 years old.  Granny enjoyed the games as much as she could with the colors and sounds...and it would often times place her mind at ease so much that she would go to sleep on me (haha).  

They don't make family members like that much any more, and it seems like the holidays are nothing like what they use to be.  Just like my family members the Jaguar will forever hold a place in my memories that will not be forgotten.  I was fortunate enough to have another Jaguar, after decades of being without one, land in my living room and when I seen it I sat there and held the machine for what seemed like a long time admiring the design and immediately shed a few tears when memories of that Christmas Eve started playing back in my mind.  

It took me a long time to understand why I have such a heart for these game machines.  They are nothing more than plastic and computer electronics.  They entertain...that's all they do.  But I realized that every machine, mostly Atari machines, I ever had gave a connection to the love of family that loved me more than anything else in the world.  And that's why all my game machines, including the Jaguar, continue to play an important role in my life.

• Justin, The Professor, MaximumRD and 4 others like this

#2 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

I've really enjoyed your retrospectives, Kamakazi! This is at the very heart of what the forums are all about. It's a pleasure to have you join us, thanks for sharing your memories  :Nolan_Bushnell:

• The Professor, MaximumRD, Lost Dragon and 2 others like this

#3 Chris++

Chris++

Cherry Member

• 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:38 AM

In 1997 or '98, I was visiting family in Buffalo. I saw a Jaguar on sale for a very low price -- $40, maybe -- at Kay-Bee Toys. The only reason I'd walked to the mall (a place in which I won't even set foot these days) was to look at records. One of their stores still had 33s. Well, also, I was antsy and wanted a walk!

I saw the Kay-Bee and stopped in to see if they were selling any cheap 2600 games, as they had a few years prior. I saw the Jaguar and realized that I didn't know a thing about it. The most recent platforms I owned were an Atari 2600, a Commodore 64 and a C128. I was still gratefully fixated on those old pals, I programmed quite a bit, and I even wrote essays / articles about "old" games. I did the latter for my own amusement. I thought that nobody else on Earth would understand why I could find pleasure in playing '70s and '80s games, much less writing about them. I didn't know that any classic-game newsletters existed, and I hadn't been online yet, at least beyond CompuServe.

I didn't think "modern" games would be much fun. These were the days of Myst and mere interactive movies (in essence), sold on that latest over-hyped fad, the multimedia CD-ROM. But seeing the Atari logo, and feeling glad that there still was an Atari, I was drawn to the table full of Jaguars and cartridges near the entrance. "Wow, that's cheap," I said to myself. "But I wouldn't be able to fit it into my suitcase."

Then I saw the Tempest 2000 box.

Like anyone else in his right mind who had played the arcade game in the early '80s, I had wanted a home version of Tempest for years. I examined the back of the box and saw that the graphics had grown advanced enough to make the potential vector-to-raster problems practically moot. I then noticed that the cartridge included a conversion of the original Tempest, which was being called Classic Tempest.

At that point, I had to force myself to put down the cartridge box and walk away very quickly. (I'm pretty good about not spending cash unnecessarily.) However, as you can imagine, I couldn't stop thinking about it afterward.

I got back to my grandmother's place, went down to the bedroom-like basement where I was staying, and tried to read. But of course, I kept thinking, I would be able to play Tempest at home...I would never run out of quarters...it's a very inexpensive console...the games are only ten bucks apiece...isn't it high time I treated myself to my first new system since the C128? Tempest at home...Tempest at home...

Then I glanced over at my suitcase. I've always liked to bring just one, so it's usually huge. This one certainly was.

Hmm...the console box could fit easily!

There was no use in fighting it anymore. I walked back to the mall and bought the Jaguar, along with Tempest 2000 and Iron Soldier. Back in the basement, I opened everything up, read the manuals and basically drooled for three or four days. When I got back to Albuquerque, hooked up the console and started playing, I realized that I had made the right decision. I had no regrets about shelling out most of the spending cash I'd brought on vacation. Playing Jaguar games for the first time was a mind-blowing experience.

Consider: I had never played anything more modern than Super Mario Bros. 3 on my bass player's NES. I had never even seen a first-person shoot-'em-up being played. And all in one day, I played Tempest 2000, Iron Soldier and the awesome, highly underrated Cybermorph. (You can mute Skylar's voice, people.)

Around that time, I started hanging out again with a buddy from high school named Adam. I hadn't seen him in ten years. When we ran into each other, I learned that he, too, was into old games. It surprised me that anybody was. Over the next few months, in between alerting me to the presence of a few classic-game newsletters (including his own, to which I would eventually contribute quite a lot) and building me an Amiga 2500, he lent me the Jaguar version of Doom.

I had never played the game before. The Jag version was my first. I plugged in the cartridge, turned on the console, started the game and...I've never recovered.

Every modern game that I've bought since then (I've gotten as recent as the PS2! Movin' on up!) has directly resulted from my obsession with Doom, which led to a love for solo first-person exploration / killing-everything games. These days, I run the source port ZDoom on my PC, choosing from hundreds of maps made by fellow players, and designing some of my own. But every few months, I still play Cybermorph and Iron Soldier all the way through. The buildings in the latter look just as astonishingly cool when they fall to flaming pieces as they did back in the late '90s, when I had reached the grizzly old age of 25 and Atari had captivated me all over again. I will love the Jaguar forever.

Edited by Chris++, 01 February 2016 - 02:45 AM.

• Justin, atarilbc, Retrogamer81081 and 2 others like this

#4 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:21 AM

Cybermorph and Iron Soldier are solid Jaguar titles.  I thought that Hover Strike was fun, too.  I spent hours with Power Drive Rally.  I never could find the pinball games.

• Chris++ likes this

#5 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 628 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

Fantastic Jaguar stories, thanks for sharing you guys =)

I remember the Radio Shack ads you're mentioning Kamakazi but I already owned a Jag at that point. I want to say I remember Radio Shack having a huge Iron Soldier cardboard cutout but that could just be my hazy memory playing tricks on me. To this day, I don't seem to recall stumbling on any advertising related to the Jaguar and at one point in the late 90s I remember going into a local Radio Shack to ask if they had any of the promo material left over but there were none.

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:03 AM

:-)

Thought i'd mix things up a little here and throw in a memory from a then Jr Artist on a Jaguar Game, Mr Dan Hunter, who worked on Attack Of The Mutant Penguins, sneak peak from the full interview, coming later, but over to Dan himself:

'It’s easy now to forget how much of a leap forward the Playstation was. The Saturn shows that Sega wasn’t prepared either. But you couldn’t really hide the fact that the Jaguar was pretty much doomed to fail. It just wasn’t a big enough step forward, and the whole marketing behind it was a bit of a shambles too.'

'No machine with a controller that ugly deserves to be anywhere other than a landfill.'

Dan went onto work for Lionhead Studios, Digital Exremes etc and on titles such as:The Movies, Dark Sector, Bioshock 2 and The Darkness II, so is a respected artist.

#7 Chris++

Chris++

Cherry Member

• 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

Wow; my priorities certainly differ vastly from that guy's. I don't care about anything so tedious as marketing observations or the appearance of a controller. Such a superficiality doesn't concern me; I dig the Jaguar controller. I've never found it difficult to use, so its reputation (among some) has always puzzled me.

My criteria: "Is the game-play fun for me? Does the game feel good to play?" Anything beyond that is an irrelevant sociological imposition, and has nothing to do with the game itself.

I meant all of the above in a less grumpy manner than it came off. :)

Do you conduct interviews with game programmers? Do you have a link to prior ones? I love reading stuff like that.

Edited by Chris++, 07 February 2016 - 02:36 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

I too never had any real issues with Jaguar Controller as i've large hands.Much more my thing, as was original Xbox Pad (not the S-Type) than say NES or G.G controllers.

I have conducted a lot of interviews over the past 18 months or so.The Online Ones can be read by following THIS LINK:

http://www.retrogame...terview blowout

If your after my chat with Ex-Atari UK person Darryl Still, i advise purchasing ST Gamer Vol 1.

If you want:Colin Porch/Dan Clapson/Terry Greer and Peter Johnson, ST Gamer Vol 2 is where you'll find them.

ST Gamer Sneak Preak etc can be found HERE:http://forums.atari....ssue-2-out-now/

I've also done:Nic Cusworth/Chris Shrigley/Jim Blackler/Simon Butler etc for:Classic Console Magazine a FREE PDF Magazine, follow this link:

http://www.classicconsolemagazine.com/

What i try and do, is offer balanced viewpoints with interviews, so, you'll find for instance i went after an Amiga Only coder to find out why he never touched the ST.With regards the Jaguar, if you read say Dave Taylor, Ex-I.D's interview, you'll find he hated Jaguar hardware, these are the personal viewpoints of those interviewed, but i don't tend to shy away from presenting both sides of the coin, in issues like these.

I find stories from those again'st particular hardware, just as enjoyable as those who were for it and only by covering all aspects, do we get an idea of the industry bigger picture as it were.

@Chris++:

:-) Bit of a DISCLAIMER really on my Interviews, as sadly even after ALL these you can see and those that are yet to come in/go live..i still get folks saying my claims should be taken with a dose of salt.

These are plain and simple email exchanges, done in my spare time.No SKYPE/Facebook etc used.Yes, they are rough in terms of grammar, spelling etc, but they are printed exactly as they came in and if sites/publications choose to tidy up the grammar etc, that's fine, but the content remains 100% as it was 'said'.No statements are altered to suit any personal bias on my part.

If i was under a professional contract, getting PAID for my time/work, of course i'd employ a professional proof reader, instead as i'm simply researching on behalf of:ST Gamer/Classic Console/Unseen64/Core Design Site/Here/Assembler/Atari-Forum/GTW etc i just share the info as/when it comes in.

Not everything is well recieved :-) Dave Taylor's and John Romero's views on the Jaguar , reasons why attempt at converting Magic Carpet to Jag CD were abandoned etc but they are honest answers and where possible (Tomb Raider+Creature Shock on Jag CD etc), multiple sources are asked about these claimed Lost Games, in order to get the most accurate overal picture.

Basically any and all can read through what's been researched and decide for themselves, i'm just eternally grateful for all those from the industry who gave their time.

As a result a lot of Lost game info (multiple formats) has been found and more jurnolist's claims than i care to count have been proven false...

Edge/Mean Machines/Zero/ACE/Raze/TGM/Atari User.....you name it.

Still more to come so keep an eye out :-)

• Chris++ likes this

#9 Chris++

Chris++

Cherry Member

• 36 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:26 AM

Cool. Thanks for the links!

• Lost Dragon likes this

#10 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:34 AM

Not everything is well recieved :-) Dave Taylor's and John Romero's views on the Jaguar...

Maybe the Jaguar made John Romero it's bitch? That's probably what happened.

#11 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

@Chris++:

Your more than welcome :-)

I think Classic Console Mag still have another of mine, yet to be published and perhaps never will be, if new issue never comes out :-(, it wasn't in with ones so far unused i asked to be returned, so sadly might be lost forever, sob....

There's another 1 in limbo...aka 'we' have it, read it, but cannot print it just yet until it's been proof read as chap is concerned it might offend people he once worked with in places....

On top of this one, so far i've had 3 Atari related insider stories about what happened too, passed on, but i'm NOT going to share as i respect the views/wishes of those who passed said comments onto me.

GTW are 'sat' on a full interview i'm proud of for an exclusive Atari feature they have planned, plus various sounbites from various sources that shed light on various things :-)

And that's before more i'm waiting to get back in arrive.

So i'm not quite done yet :-)

#12 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:26 AM

I have small hands and I never found the Jaguar controller much of an issue.  On the contrary I found them rather comfortable.  Took a bit to get use to but after about an hour I considered myself an expert ;)

I also disagree with the statement made that the Jaguar was not a step forward.  The hardware itself was a step forward.  No other console at the time Jaguar hit the market was capable of doing 3D polygon graphics natively.  Remember that the Jaguar was set compete against the Genesis and Super NES.  Those systems, even at their best, couldn't do that without struggling a little.  It was an odd system I will admit when I first approached it but it grew on me quickly and I had to have it.  It was an investment I am proud to have made and a lot of great gaming memories are with that system.  Truthfully, I don't think we've seen Jag's full capabilities yet.  There's a lot that can still be done with it.

• atarilbc and Yo-Yo like this

#13 Yo-Yo

Yo-Yo

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:51 AM

I have big hamburger hands and I found the Jaguar comfortable. The Lynx too! I had the 2nd model w the grips on the back. You could hold it for a long time and not get hand cramps. I like that idea of the Lynx being a Jaguar controller too.
  • atarilbc and Lost Dragon like this
Welcome to the short bus.

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

I see your Hamburger hands and raise you my Digger Bucket Hands :-)

Jaguar Pad, whilst far from perfect, i found to be also far from the diaster many have claimed it to be.If nothing else my nod goes towards it for at least offering enough buttons for developers to convert/write more serious Sim type games, which i often found akward on previous consoles due to being restricted to 3 main buttons and a start and select button.

Took me a while to get used to the N64 Trident pad mind, not so much due to size, just layout.

I'm chuffed Dan Hunter's comments have engaged healthy disscussion, as that's another reason i do the interviews-they more often than not lead to some great discussions over points raised within.

Megadrive could do polygon 3D, indeed it played host to a number of ST/Amiga conversions:F-15 Strike Eagle II, Mig-29 etc, then you had F-22, LHX Attack Chopper, Hard Drivin, Race Drivin, Kawasaki Super Bike Challange, F-117 Night Storm, Formula One, Star Cruiser, Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker etc.Amiga Zeewolf was down for conversion etc.

You can hear Lee Actor talk about how he coded 3D on the system from interview i did:

Insanity is probably a pretty accurate term. Doing 3D on Genesis
required many programming/optimization tricks -- something that 2600
programmer like Dennis and myself had lots of experience doing (the
processor in the 2600 didn't even have a hardware multiply
instruction). The end result was fine for doing a camera flyover of
the course in PGA Tour Gold, but for action games like Steel Talons
and Hard Drivin', the frame rate was pretty choppy. But basically the
best you could do on that hardware.

http://www.grumpyold...ctor-interview/

I think what industry types often relate to, when saying Jaguar wasn't a step forward, is more it wasn't a big enough step forward in way the Playstation was over SNES/MD/Amiga hardware...

Bear in mind Jaguars development path:

Martin Brennan:But while I was over in California in '89, I actually convinced the bosses at Atari that 3D was the way to go, with the experience we'd gained on Flare one - if you didn't just do flat rendering, but shaded rendering you got a 3D appearance.
At the time, I was seeing pictures in magazines where computers were rendering photo realistic 3D wire meshes and I said "these are static images, but they only contain a very few number of polygons - we could take that, animate it and you could produce a game that was a quantum leap away from the current games".

So the Jaguar project was born from the Panther project.

http://www.konixmult...nt=martin#start

Panther was originally intended to take on SNES, but according to Atari UK PR claims alone at the time, had Atari released it, Jaguar would of been out of R+D a mere 9 months or so after and ready to launch, so cancel the Panther, leapfrog both 16 and 32 bit technology completely.

So Atari launched with a very powerful 2D system with better than existing 3D abilities, which was exactly what the orig design spec for the Sega Saturn was offering as well:

16 Mhz Nec V60 CISC CPU (older, traditional CPU) for example

Sony, who'd been working with RISC processors in SG Workstations for years and new the importance things like texture-mapped 3D meant for the industry, just marched in and shook up the hardware market and then some :-).

Sega, Atari+3DO were looking at upgraded existing concepts, Sony put 3D 1st 2D second and rest as they say is indeed, history :-)

Anywho, press have often looked at Jaguar through various eyes:

'Jaguar:1 of the most ill-fated consoles ever devised, the Jaguar was Atari's last chance, and the company blew it rather well despite having a powerful piece of kit.It's memorable for 3 main reasons:A distinctive-looking bundled game in Cybermorph, a strange and unwieldy joypad that smacked of the Intellivision's controller, and Tempest 2000'

Edge Maqgazine looking at emulating the Jaguar on PC.

My last Jaguar related interview and thus memories from those who actually worked on the hardware, should, fingers crossed, be here 'soon'.

Just had this arrive:

'Hi Ross,
Sorry for the crazy delay on theses answers I am working on them now believe it or not I should have my answers to you by the end of the week.'

I've just reminded myself just which titles the person in question had been involved in/i asked about...Gulp....try 10 Jaguar titles (numerous roles) and at least 1 Lynx title....

How much am i looking forward to getting this one in?

Hell yes :-)

Bloody'ell..now this is far, far more than i could of hoped for, regarding a mere email interview done in my spare time:

'Things are coming along swimmingly on the interview questions...... We should meet and I can give you the whole sorted uncensored story over a couple days and a couple dozen beers :-) I am always willing to fly out lol. '

Now that would be like AMAZING!!!!!!! but reality check..i work full time (and shifts at that) plus in spare time i'm looking after my elderly father who's still in midst of a long, long recovery period from being in hospital, so simply not possible :-( but it just shows the level of kindness present from those within the industry, willing to chat to nobodies like myself about Atari Projects.

Simply gobsmacked here......

'...I just can't understand that with such a brilliant back catalouge of games, Atari have released hardly any for the Jag.Imagine a machine that let you play arcade perfect versions of 720, Road Blasters, Marble Madness, Star Wars Trilogy, Indiania Jones, I, Robot, Xybots, Moon Patrol, Crystal Castles, Paperboy etc...i'd buy ten'

C+VG's Retro Computer Cabin writer, Dave Kelsall there adding his thoughts at the time regarding the Jaguar scene.

More Polygon 3D from a standard MegaDrive, NO SVP Chip used:

http://www.google.co...tFcMFJT2mVdfCdg

Elite was mere Tech Demo, but ResQ, was nearly finished.

Jason Backhouse:

I'm not entirly sure why the game never made it into production, pretty sure it was very nearly completed and Psygnosis pulled out.

As far as I remember, a SNES port was a possibility but an Amiga version was never on the cards.

However, I can understand how the look and feel of the game comes across as more Amiga than Console. This was probably because I was inspired by the Bitmap Brothers graphic style back then, Other inspirations were games such as R-Type (for the ship) C64 version of Turrican, Super Ghosts and Goblins (for the centurion) Starwing/Starfox (for the 3D bonus game)

The Game was programmed on 486 PC's by Bill and Pete, while I used Deluxe Paint II and III on an Amiga 1200 with RAM upgrade for Graphics and Animation.

http://www.google.co...yr9VFOyigw8vvxg

'One of the standup arcade games that I spent most of my free time on at EA was Blockout. The Genesis was not very quick at dealing with sequential frame buffer graphics, since it’s a character based machine, so I spent some time writing 2D graphics routines that would use the Z80 and the 68000 at the same time. A kind of sick multiprocessing, since the two CPU’s are about as different as you can imagine. If I recall correctly, this code, in one form or another, ended up in Blockout and LHX Attack Chopper.'

Kevin McGrath talking about he did Polygon 3D on Megadrive.

http://www.sega-16.c...-kevin-mcgrath/

Reason i put up these examples, is if folks think Jaguar had unfair industry comments for it's 3D, you should of read Jez San talking to RetroGamer magazine a while back, claiming the Megadrive was nothing more than a 2D box...guess he'd never seen any of the examples i've mentioned, lol

Edited by Justin, 19 February 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#15 Chris++

Chris++

Cherry Member

• 36 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:22 AM

Very cool. That Elite looks close to the Amiga version; I wish it had come out.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#16 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

:-) Have a feelin folks are going to LOVE my next 2 Jaguar related interviews.Teaser Time:

You didn’t mention Kasumi Ninja 2, Cyber Golf, Legion of the Undead…

or even Uncle Oswald’s Invention… These were all titles I worked on

for the Jaguar!

——————————

Cabal, 720, and Vindicators were in development, but I believe were

not a top priority for the developer. I had seen all but Rolling

Thunder at one point or another in their development. When i moved out

of the testing department and took over duties as an associate

producer I was assigned many of the old Lynx titles, they called me

“the finisher"

#17 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 628 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Awesome :) looking forward to it!

cerka.weebly.com

#18 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

Here 'It' is (our should that be here THEY are? hmmnn, as it's a husband and wife combo/joint-interview).

Basically, i approached Ted and he emailed back saying..you do know my wife did various voice over work on......and would be delighted to answer Q's.

Since this was to be (and indeed is..) my last look into the Atari Jaguar Games Development, side of things, it was far too good a chance to pass up:

http://www.grumpyold...echi-interview/

So, i had the chance to ask yet another Ex-Core Design person about UK Press claims at the time of Jaguar CD games, Mr Dan Scott:

Ross:Hi Dan,

Do you have any idea where the UK Press got the idea games like:

BC Racers/Tomb Raider/Scottish Open Golf/Swagman and Thunderhawk were
all headed to the Atari Jaguar CD?.

Dan:My best guess, is that most Core games of that era would have been
ear-marked for conversion to any new console format I would imagine
maybe there was some press release listing these titles

"I inherited the project after the 1st producer left the company.I'm just trying to forget the whole nightmare-that's why i asked for my name to be removed from the credits."

Anonymous Fight For Life Producer.

2Despite all the delays, production disasters, and the games limitations, Fight For Life's original Producer was able to constantly bullshit upper management into beliving that the game really would redefine the 3D fighting genre.I was once at a meeting in which-on a wide-screen TV-it was compared head-to-head with Tekken.In a classic case of management 'hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil', Atari execs, nodded, smiled and agreed that F.F.L was a legtimate competitor to Tekken and Tohshinden.It was unbelievable.'

Anoymus then-Atari employee.

Source:Edge May'98 Digital Disasters.

"They (Atari) failed because they thought their competion was Commodore, when it was actually Nintendo and Sega."

Peter Molyneux, then Bullfrog.

"By 1993, the popularity of the ST and Falcon had crumbled almost completely.Atari was now on the ropes.It's machines (ST, Lynx, Falcon etc) had zero credibility and it was loosing money hand over fist.Things could only get better.Atari unveiled the Jaguar in August 1993".

"Jaguar owners should soon see titles like the Virtua series and Daytona on their machine (but as Bob Gleadow, VP of Atari Europe told Edge 'The line stops at Sonic').....

And it doesn't end with Segqa.Atari is now gunning for other big hardware and software manufacturers-or, as an Atari source put it, 'everyone who can afford to pay us'-and will be looking to companies like Sony and 3DO for compensation.."

Edge March'95.
"The Jaguar is not a make or break product but is what we are focusing on....the Saturn is too expensive and Nintendo doesn't even have a product yet.All Nintendo is doing is trying to confuse the market with disinformation...The Sony product is too expensive to be taken seriousily and i can't see Sony focusing on a product that won't have the quantites due to the high price, it will be a player, but not a big one".

Sam Tramiel March'95.

As for Nintendo trying to confuse market with disinformation, at same time Sam T said this, he was hyping up:

Jaguar:CD Drive, Modem, VR Headset, Jaguar Duo and Jaguar MK II promised for 1996/7 and something else for Jaguar which he couldn't reveal....

All Nintendo were doing was building hype for the then Project Reality/Ultra 64....

Pot/Kettle Sam?.

James 'Purple' Hampton, Producer - Atari

On his main roles as Producer:

"As the Producer, my duties were to be the project champion and leader. As a designer, my role was to help create, nurture and defend the vision for what the game was going to be. As the main point person for the game, I was there to take care of whatever needed to happen to get Alien Versus Predator to the finish line. At the time, Atari didn't employ game designers, so I utilized my role to directly shape the design of the game. This included campaigning with the executives at Atari, Activision and 20th Century Fox to change the design away from just being a port of the Super-Nintendo title, and into the three-sided first person shooter game it became. "

http://www.retrogame... purple#p259146

".....I remember i 1st sat down and learnt the Jaguar and did a purely vector-based Tempest game, and then started playing about with these visualisation ideas.I started developing this feedback thing-it's a common technique now but back then it was really new, where you'd take the previous screen that's been rendered and then you'd alter it and then render a new screen on top and you'd end up with these very psychedelic, trippy, swirly things.It was inspired by this whole techniqueof taking an old-school video camera and pointing it at a TV screen, and getting these wierd displays coming out.I thought 'oh yeah, i can use that in the game'...."

Jeff Minter talking to Edge about creating Tempest 2000, in the Nov 2009 issue.

"...i remember at 1 point getting told off by 1 of the designers of the Jaguar because i'd run some portion of the graphics chip backwards! i'd used it in a mode for which it wasn't intended in order to take an image and break it it into component pixels.These 2 techniques formed the basis of a lot of the special effects in Tempest 2000.And it was when i was doing that work i 1st started to get the feeling that these 2 sides of the thing i was interested in-the visualisation and the games side-could come together".

Another section from Jeff's chat with Edge there.

Thought it'd be nice to get some thoughts from those who'd worked on the Jaguar games themselves, when they looked back at them and put them up here.

:-) Have to include this one, at the same time as defending the Falcon (see the ST thread), Atari UK's Darryl Still scolded Edge for comparing Atari (and Commodore's) history with that of 3DO, saying unlike 3DO, Atari/CBM had a history (Atari VCS-to-ST/C64-to-Amiga) and had a considerable track record in the massmarket and therefore were better placed to do so again.

Darryl said Atari had the benifits of experience, which were essential and thwey were confident, warts and all-that Atari was the company most likely to make the Jaguar roar.

If you put this, with the talk from Sam T.about the Japanese consumer more likely to choose the Jaguar and with Darryl's 'big future' claim for the Falcon, you really do start to wonder if this was just the expected 'bravado' in the face of overwhelming competition, or IF Atari really did think just because they'd been around longer, they could see off the likes of Sony with the Playstation etc.

Irony here that Atari, CBM, 3DO and Sega all lost out to the Playstation.

Another quote saved before the page joins 1000's more in my EPIC clear out.

This from the (awful) yellow papered FREEPLAY pages of C+VG magazine, Nov'96

Latest News On Atari:

"With memembers of C+VG currently snapping up Jaguars at £50, including Cybermorph and Tempest 2000........we decided to investigate the future of Atari's 64-bit console by calling them.

From their icy replies we ascertained that worms and Breakout 2000 are set for release at some unspecified time in the future, with Soulstar heading to the Jaguar CD.

Supposedly the machine is still in production.....

So, everything's rosy at Atari then.

No, seriousily, we went into the Virgin Megastore and they were sold out.

Word is you can pick the machine up for £25 with games going for a fiver."

• Clint Thompson likes this

#19 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

Well, we (at ST Gamer Magazine) never did get THAT interview with Bill Rehbock, something at the time i thought was a missed opp, as he could of cleared up a lot of confusion over Lost:Lynx and Jaguar games, but apon reading his comments about Cheq.Flag II on the Jaguar:

(Bill) "...... It plays very well, and the features such as night-driving, weather, etc are fantastic...Much better than Virtua Racing if I do say so myself :-)"

OMG, it sounds like Bill is from that very same camp who sat there convinced Fight For Life on Jaguar was a serious rival to Tekken on the Playstation....

So, not quite such a loss after all i fear....

:-)

#20 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 628 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

Yeah I don't get it. I mean you can't be mad at their optimism but it certainly didn't help. It's hard to bad mouth your own project or games from a company you're working for.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

cerka.weebly.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users