Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

A Graphical Update of Atari 7800 Double Dragon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,669 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

If you are familiar with my podcast, you may have heard of Cover Art Kevin aka KevinMos3, who does some graphical updates of games. He was kind enough to send me his only copy of his upgraded 7800 Double Dragon to check out, so I made a comparison video of it and the original.

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 2 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,789 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

That is a nice improvement!  Both the game itself and the label.  Nice job on the video. 

• Justin, nosweargamer, AlamoAtari and 1 other like this

#3 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

It looks like a pretty good job. The only thing I saw was the log bridge looked odd and some of the enemy spiteful were a weird color as well. I think that it was caused by the sharing of the color palette for space. But a bang up job anyway!
  • Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#4 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

Also a side by side comparison would be cool, but it worked fine.
  • Justin likes this

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

The 7800 wasn't the only version to get a graphical update, the C64 had 2 versions itself, sadly i think this C64GS version was never released (it used the cart to load extra sprites in from memory...)

As to why the standard version turned out sooo badly:

• Greyfox, RickR and nosweargamer like this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

We had a clone of Double Dragon on C64 with some rather nice visuals and music, but even as a budget release, it was ruined by the awful combat/control system:

http://www.google.co...-u2bvmHyCcur9gA

We had a clone of Double Dragon on C64 with some rather nice visuals and music, but even as a budget release, it was ruined by the awful combat/control system:

http://www.google.co...-u2bvmHyCcur9gA

Oh that one is hilarious. Just walk and avoid! Somebody forgot to playtest I guess.

LMAO, yep a lot of the clones were as bad, if not worse, than the dire official conversions... Put a good few inspired by 720 clones up in that thread. Mixed bag :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users