Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

ARCs - Atari Club Money "Atari Redemption Certificates"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,154 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:31 AM

How many of ya'll remember these?

fa58408403e666245999fef2a33b0a1f.jpg

They came with the Atari Age Magazines from 1981-1983....the scan above are my ARC's I own.

Did anyone ever redeem them?

• Justin, DeLorean, RickR and 2 others like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#2 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:08 PM

How many arcs did it take to buy a new game? Games like Gravitar and Rubik's Cube came out that way.

• Shark69 likes this

#3 The Economist

The Economist

MV=PQ

• 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

It's interesting to think that today these coupons would likely be entirely digital, and redeemed online.

• DeLorean and Shark69 like this

My life is a love of numbers and games.

#4 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,154 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

How many arcs did it take to buy a new game? Games like Gravitar and Rubik's Cube came out that way.

These were the only 2 ARC redemption offers ever done....... pretty much $5 off a game...........

53ddf8a9fb23e23d8bb6d42889057bae.jpg

ARC's offer from the Atari Age Magazine Vol. 2 Issue 4 Nov 1983- Feb 1984

d22b1abfdc4bcc89a22dc2706ab5d966.jpg

ARC's offer from the Atari Age Magazine Vol. 2 Issue 5 March-April 1984

• DeLorean, Fire_In_The_Valley and RickR like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#5 Dan Iacovelli

Dan Iacovelli

Pretzel Member

• 410 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:10 PM

I remember those was a member the atari club as well

• DeLorean, Fire_In_The_Valley and Shark69 like this

AVC Online: avc.atari-users.net

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

#6 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:56 PM

I'd like that copy of Gravitar

• Fire_In_The_Valley, Shark69 and Arenafoot like this

#7 Fire_In_The_Valley

Fire_In_The_Valley

Orange Member

• 139 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

How exactly did the ARCs work? I've been collecting MIB Atari games for years and though I've collected lots of catalogs and flyers and posters, I've never once seen a game come with one of those certificates inside. Did you have to cut out proof of purchase from the box to get those?

• DeLorean and Shark69 like this

#8 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,628 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:49 PM

They came in the Atari Age magazine.  Seemed like a half-baked idea back in the day, and it came near the end (right before the crash) to boot. 

• DeLorean, Fire_In_The_Valley and Shark69 like this

#9 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,154 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:38 AM

How exactly did the ARCs work? I've been collecting MIB Atari games for years and though I've collected lots of catalogs and flyers and posters, I've never once seen a game come with one of those certificates inside. Did you have to cut out proof of purchase from the box to get those?

There were different ways to get them:

- place an order thru the Atari Age Magazine (over $35) = $5 ARC free

- $3 ARCs printed on page 29 of Atari Age Magazine Vol.2 Issue 4

- renewing your Atari Membership

- winning a contest thru Atari Age Magzine

- becoming a "Honorable Mention" contributor to "Your Turn"

None were ever available inside boxes.

• DeLorean and Fire_In_The_Valley like this

#10 Fire_In_The_Valley

Fire_In_The_Valley

Orange Member

• 139 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

None were ever available inside boxes.

Interesting! You'd think that would be the first place to find them..

• DeLorean likes this

#11 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,154 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:31 AM

It was all part of the Atari Membership.......maybe if the crash didn't happen and the ARC's took off thru the magazine, then they might have added them to the software boxes........who knows!

• Justin, DeLorean and Fire_In_The_Valley like this

#12 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 134 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

Funny! I never heard of the Atari Redemption Certificate before. Where was I at? Perhaps it was because I never had an Atari membership.

Edited by BlackCatz40, 26 December 2014 - 01:16 PM.

• DeLorean, greenween and Arenafoot like this

#13 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,154 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:40 AM

Funny! I never heard of the Atari Redemption Certificate before. Where was I at? Perhaps it was because I never had an Atari membership.

at the time - I didn't even own an Atari! My friend that lived across the street from me had both the VCS and Intellivision and I had the Vectrex. It was only $1 to subscribe to the Atari Age Magazine and thats how I got my ARC's. Though I never got a chance to use them!

#14 Yo-Yo

Yo-Yo

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

It made no sense to me that they gave these out in Atari Age Magazine but for all the Atari games I purchased back when, I could never send in UPC codes for anything rad. 

• The Professor and Arenafoot like this
Welcome to the short bus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users