Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Speak & Spell

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:06 AM

Did anybody else have a Speak & Spell growing up? Texas Instruments found a tremendously clever use of their speech synthesis chip. The Speak & Spell was introduced in June, 1978 at the Summer CES, making it one of the very first handheld electronic devices with a visual display. Speak & Spell enjoyed a very similar lifespan to that of the Atari 2600, retailing from 1978-1992.

• DeLorean, The Economist and Keatah like this

#2 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:12 AM

Wasn't that E.T.'s Phone? 

#3 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:13 AM

And, if yes, wouldn't that mean assembling the Speak & Spell is the entire objective of the E.T. game on 2600?

#4 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

ET_Communicator_Cropped.jpg

• RickR likes this

#5 RetroVideoGameNerd

RetroVideoGameNerd

Strawberry Member

• 61 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

E.T. Spell Words! AHAHAHAHAHAA
Yeah, I had one, and it scarred me. IT sounded really demonic.

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,280 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

I didn't have one, but wanted one.  I remember it wouldn't say "bad" words, but if you spelled them more cleverly, you could get close.  Now THAT'S learning, folks. 

• RetroVideoGameNerd, Atari Today and Keatah like this

#7 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,280 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

I just learned that Commodore made a speech module for the VIC-20 and C64 called "Magic Voice" that used the same chip/design as the Speak and Spell.  I guess the Scott Adams adventure games used it, as well as others like Gorf. 

• DeLorean and The Economist like this

#8 Yo-Yo

Yo-Yo

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:05 AM

Speak and Spell was so cool! It was kinda a big deal for a baby's toy to have speech synth in 1980. I'd love to see more on this.
Welcome to the short bus.

#9 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,254 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

I have that same phonograph!!!!!!!

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#10 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,155 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

I loved my Speak & Spell. Great toy.

• The Professor likes this

#11 Mcorleonep

Mcorleonep

Cherry Member

• 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

I remember that well.  The must fun part about it was pressing the # button, then it would malfunction and the speech synthesis would produce some very interesting and hilarious garbled speech sound effects...

Edited by Mcorleonep, 19 October 2017 - 10:42 AM.

• Keatah likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users