Games that pushed the Atari 8-bit Computer

Greyfox

Now that is a really nice looking game, very tight controls by the look of it and matching graphics, the author who this machine, I'll have to check this one, it's a new to me, so many thanks for showcasing pal. It's always great to find these hidden gems , dam shame nobody is doing worthy reviews on this stuff anymore ;)

Unofficial Atari: a Visual History

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

Ahh wow that's takes me back I remember this very well thanks the bbs scene, that video doesn't do the game justice, fantastic scrolling, with the premise of finding candles and lighting the lamps, while avoiding ghost and bats, the two player mode was class, as your opponent couldn't light any unlike lamps until you used the candle before reappearing elsewhere plus you had the timewarp gates opening throughout the level and for each level complete the layout of the land would change, so you weren't traversing over a repeated area.

Schreckinstein was a great killer app from German (Axis Komputing) who Mainly did adventure games, this was a break from those type of games, I'm almost sure some of the team at Axis did work on Compy Shop demosTo which you can see the brilliance Atari 8bit coding, this is 1988

Edited by Greyfox

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

Hi way dual was another one I was lucky to play, great music remake of a classic piece of music which seemed to be the craze for a lot of Atari 8-bits games back then, another one which had great music and graphic for its time was one called "Nadral" ever hear of that one? Check out the video below and just listen to the music.

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

Maybe we could do a colaberation on the definitive guide to the Atari 8bit killer machine? As least the info and reserach would be accurate so the content wouldnt have any sort of window dressing you see these days, I can safely say that...that ship has sailed on them missing out on so many games that would have convinced many that the humble atari 8bit could put up a fight with the likes of the ZX spectrum,c64 and Amstrad cpc.

When I the right hands could do fantastic things, I'll have a dig into my memory chips and see what else I can come up with..also to ote the Atari 8bit was the machine that got me into the demo scene, from the 8bit to the ST, amiga and PC, so I have Atari to thank for this.

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

I think this solution here would to do this over a series you tube videos, upon given a small review of title along side title bit of info or quotes, but it would be a big job, and judging by the number of hits atari 8bit games get on you tube is quite small com pared to other which is a bloody disgrace.

Or the other alterative is to do it via a blog style website about it, making it a magazine format wouldn't be doable as they would just be seen as another game review, possibly Pro © Atari could be the route here for this or that other atari 8bit magazine Excel 8bit?

But I think we've preserved a lot here too, so it could be a suggested article, this would be prefect for that minority report section in RG, but please get some one else other that Kieren Hawkens to write it, he's disinformed enough people in who don't know what to believe, it would have to be written by somebody that actually knows these games and lived those decades so no late comer wannabes :)

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

If there was enough new material and someone that had written a heap of reviews or willing too, I'd have no problem sharing the profits for their deserving work with them for their colaberation and I promise not to make them agree to their own terms and turn around and agree to those terms where as the indivual goes back on their word and claims I ripped them off so that I'm named and shamed to whole 5 pepole. Or hold them to ransom because they may not like who else is involved even though that's none of their business in the first place.

So you've read it here first..this would be my disclaimer thank you..

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

i have ruff and ready on cart. i only played it once back in the 1990's, and it seemed to have some spelling problems, or missing letters. for me, sometimes its hard to tell so i just put it in my own collection, to see someday when i had more time if its ok. so when i saw this thread, i had my friend  come over and dig out my collection, he found it, took it home and played it. he said its a hard game, but made it to level 2. so i might release it in the near future.

i also have ghost chaser which i released. i saw beer belly bert, and i remember that i used to call atari all of the time in the late 80's and nineties, recommending games to them, because they had such a hard time understanding games. that was one i recommended.

sometimes the only way i got them to believe the game existed, is to actually send them a physical copy. sometimes i did the leg work for them, and provided the contact person at the software house that owned the game.

i used to be direct with almost all third party developers back in the day, so i knew people who worked in many of the software houses, if they still were there and existed as a company.

later on i found out atari was picking up these games for peanuts, because atari themselves were not supporting the market in any meaningful way. they ported many games over to cartridge, then let them sit.

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

Any love for this one?

I like the music.

my friend found my ruff and ready cart. it looks bug free. we made a short youtube of it. as soon as its posted, i will post the link here. my friend is looking for the beer belly bert also.

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

Any love for this one?

I like the music.

as promised, we found my ruff and ready cart. here is a link to the youtube. hopefully in the future, i can find more games. i might have the beer bert one which i loved to play, at one time i thought i saw a ant game to.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

Wonderful stuff fella..thanks for sharing..having returned to this thread and something I spoke about maybe a page or two ago about a definitive guide to the Atari 8-but. Back in March...actually the 10th of March when I last got the time to create something on my machine I done a quick concept of what I would have loved to take the direction of a book covering this incredible computer. So just wished to share and ask what are all your thoughts on something like this.

Mock cover design

n2xu37.jpg

2 page spread (Donkey Kong) video game

2nhdw8i.jpg

Now I wished to include interviews , and photography shots of the Atari 8bit range dept of field type shots etc. and a vast collection of Atari 8-bit games, demos and possible graphic and sound applications on the Atari 8-bit but that may have being very ambitious , but I don't know if something like is is achievable as I would need high res versions of the video box art of the games covered to be supplied for the publication as well as the photography , so it's a Huge under taking. But please let me know your thought. I'm sure there is a market for it.

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

Wonderful stuff fella..thanks for sharing..having returned to this thread and something I spoke about maybe a page or two ago about a definitive guide to the Atari 8-but. Back in March...actually the 10th of March when I last got the time to create something on my machine I done a quick concept of what I would have loved to take the direction of a book covering this incredible computer. So just wished to share and ask what are all your thoughts on something like this.

Mock cover design

n2xu37.jpg

2 page spread (Donkey Kong) video game

2nhdw8i.jpg

Now I wished to include interviews , and photography shots of the Atari 8bit range dept of field type shots etc. and a vast collection of Atari 8-bit games, demos and possible graphic and sound applications on the Atari 8-bit but that may have being very ambitious , but I don't know if something like is is achievable as I would need high res versions of the video box art of the games covered to be supplied for the publication as well as the photography , so it's a Huge under taking. But please let me know your thought. I'm sure there is a market for it.

boy do i ever like that cover. its really great work. yes by all means, i would love to see it out on the market.

thanks for posting it,

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

Does anyone remember the demo that played a few seconds of digitized Van Halen music?

Old newsgroup post of mine from 10 years ago:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.video.atari/Ipchr6TACGc/PgfFzHiBxCsJ

There's a clip Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRQ9Csb_Er0

There's also a few threads over in comp.sys.atari.8bit (just do a

search for "van halen").  I remember getting a copy of this back in

the day from a software catalog ("Marrs" or something like that),

which is long gone, and I don't have a copy on my PC (if anyone has

it, can they send me a copy?).  It might have also been available from

Antic's catalog at some point.  I know there were at least a dozen or 2

digitized song samples at the same time the Van Halen clip appeared.

Edited by Scott Stilphen