Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Games that pushed the Atari 8-bit Computer

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

As an 800XL owner, I often wished developers would write games for the 64K market, rather than just the 48K market and thus A8 games like Beach Head II would of had the fantastic speech featured in the C64 versions..

However it's been claimed Atari felt that voice synthesis was NOT something the UK wanted....

Talk about being out of touch...

#42 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

Here's a couple more of those games that did more than a simple PMG routine :)
Tagalon from Tynesoft

Thunderfox from Atari UK - a superb Uridium clone for the a8 1987

Realm of Impossibility from Electronic Arts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrGz5uqRtg

Run for IT from Optimum Resources Ltd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5Nz1UBUoY

Edited by Greyfox, 09 October 2016 - 01:28 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#43 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

Tagalon I've always loved the look and sound of.

Run For It is a totally newbie to myself, really appreciate you sharing..

Yet again you find the best Stuff shared on here..

#44 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

Have we had this one?

#45 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

Another title I never see covered..

space Rider:

• Greyfox likes this

#46 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

Now that is a really nice looking game, very tight controls by the look of it and matching graphics, the author who this machine, I'll have to check this one, it's a new to me, so many thanks for showcasing pal. It's always great to find these hidden gems , dam shame nobody is doing worthy reviews on this stuff anymore ;)
  • Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#47 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

It's a new one on myself, never saw it when I was an 800Xl owner and it's never cropped up in any of the A8 coverage Retro Gamer magazine gave in all the years I was a subscriber.. So it might be obscure and play like a dog :-))

But visually it looks impressive.

Thought it would be nice to feature it on here, if anyone new to the Atari is looking for the more visually impressive games out there.

To myself, I love the look of the main Sprite, big,well defined...

You compare that to something like A8 Panther, which looked like I was flying a bar of soap (C64 version looked like a tin of sardines..) or the cars on Codemasters Grand Prix sim... Mere rectangles and nice to see designers making the effort.

Pity those efforts weren't rewarded by coverage in commercial Retro publications I subscribed to though..

8-)

#48 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

Ahh, Tagalon was one of those Tynesoft Games rescued by Micro Discount, Last Guardian being another I believe?...

Ok today's offering, Ok so A8 had Spindizzy, but likes of Marble Madness, Red L.E.D and Incredible Shrinking Sphere etc never made it, but we did see..

Fidget:

• Greyfox likes this

#49 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

Found this on same chaps YT channel

Looks quite nice, but fact you can only just see bare bones distance in front of you, must have been a blight on playability..
  • Greyfox likes this

#50 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:07 AM

Another YT find, loved animation on title screen, plus I'm a sucker for split screen games:

Thought it would be nice to do a hat trick of obscure A8 games worth looking out for, if your new to the machine.

Sadly over looked by many UK Atari voices it seems 8-)

Edited by Lost Dragon, 11 October 2016 - 04:30 PM.

• RadioPoultry likes this

#51 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

Ahh wow that's takes me back I remember this very well thanks the bbs scene, that video doesn't do the game justice, fantastic scrolling, with the premise of finding candles and lighting the lamps, while avoiding ghost and bats, the two player mode was class, as your opponent couldn't light any unlike lamps until you used the candle before reappearing elsewhere plus you had the timewarp gates opening throughout the level and for each level complete the layout of the land would change, so you weren't traversing over a repeated area.

Schreckinstein was a great killer app from German (Axis Komputing) who Mainly did adventure games, this was a break from those type of games, I'm almost sure some of the team at Axis did work on Compy Shop demosTo which you can see the brilliance Atari 8bit coding, this is 1988

Edited by Greyfox, 11 October 2016 - 12:14 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#52 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

Hi way dual was another one I was lucky to play, great music remake of a classic piece of music which seemed to be the craze for a lot of Atari 8-bits games back then, another one which had great music and graphic for its time was one called "Nadral" ever hear of that one? Check out the video below and just listen to the music.

• Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#53 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

Wowza my friend..NADRAL is another total newbie to me.

Love that music, plus superb sound Fx from Pokey there.

I know commercial Retro coverage is really starting to leave the 8 and 16 bit home Micro's behind and shift focus to PlayStation/Saturn era onwards, but if they ever do decide to return to the A8...

Well, they could learn a lot from the suggestions made in this thread.
  • Greyfox likes this

#54 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

Maybe we could do a colaberation on the definitive guide to the Atari 8bit killer machine? As least the info and reserach would be accurate so the content wouldnt have any sort of window dressing you see these days, I can safely say that...that ship has sailed on them missing out on so many games that would have convinced many that the humble atari 8bit could put up a fight with the likes of the ZX spectrum,c64 and Amstrad cpc.

When I the right hands could do fantastic things, I'll have a dig into my memory chips and see what else I can come up with..also to ote the Atari 8bit was the machine that got me into the demo scene, from the 8bit to the ST, amiga and PC, so I have Atari to thank for this.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#55 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

A balanced Def guide to...the A8 is a superb idea, from my research point of view, it'd be a collection of what's been found so far, chance of getting fresh A8 interviews? No chance..but it'd be nice to see quotes from Murray, Cloudy, Fox,Porch etc in 1 place..

What's your thoughts on A8 Homebrew, thinking 320K+ games and things like Bomb Jake, Space Harrier?

As amazing as they are, I would personally not feature them, as they don't represent what a stock A8 could achieve at the time..

People often roll them out along with tech demo's of A8 Turrican, Outrun etc but they shouldn't be included..

I'd go for commercial release only..

So no Shadow Of The Beast either...

It's gotta be what was available in shops or via mail order...

The A8 coverage I've seen over the years suggesting A8 could hold its own against C64 suggested A8 peaked with stuff like Panther, LMAO, didn't even mention full price releases like Druid...

Might be an idea to explain how poorly A8 was treated in later years?

Things like Kick Off just appearing, no advertising etc, Tynesoft leaving A8 games in limbo until others rescued, Ocean sitting on Head Over Heels for years, Domark reluctant to release Star Wars even after Zeppelin had finished it...

Gauntlet on A8 being 1 of 1st versions promised, A8 hardware along with Amstrad CPC being used to develop all 8 bit home micro versions, yet A8 version arrived very late...

Just some suggestions..

That and real reason Atari went for XEGS over 7800, after annoucing 5200,canning it in UK,annoucing 7800 then going with XEGS instead..

None of this has ever been covered in historical write ups by UK writers I've seen.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 11 October 2016 - 06:28 PM.

• Greyfox likes this

#56 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

I think this solution here would to do this over a series you tube videos, upon given a small review of title along side title bit of info or quotes, but it would be a big job, and judging by the number of hits atari 8bit games get on you tube is quite small com pared to other which is a bloody disgrace.

Or the other alterative is to do it via a blog style website about it, making it a magazine format wouldn't be doable as they would just be seen as another game review, possibly Pro © Atari could be the route here for this or that other atari 8bit magazine Excel 8bit?

But I think we've preserved a lot here too, so it could be a suggested article, this would be prefect for that minority report section in RG, but please get some one else other that Kieren Hawkens to write it, he's disinformed enough people in who don't know what to believe, it would have to be written by somebody that actually knows these games and lived those decades so no late comer wannabes :)
  • Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#57 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:45 PM

If there was enough new material and someone that had written a heap of reviews or willing too, I'd have no problem sharing the profits for their deserving work with them for their colaberation and I promise not to make them agree to their own terms and turn around and agree to those terms where as the indivual goes back on their word and claims I ripped them off so that I'm named and shamed to whole 5 pepole. Or hold them to ransom because they may not like who else is involved even though that's none of their business in the first place.

So you've read it here first..this would be my disclaimer thank you..
  • Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#58 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

What ever route you take, your going to sadly encounter the same moronic responses from same voices we've seen when the ST, Panther and Jaguar have been properly researched/showcased..

Jealously as they've not been asked, scorn when real research goes beyond Wikipedia and fabricated claims and the classic nothing new here, even when you make clear the intention is just a collected works type look at.

A Def guide to...would indeed make for a superb series of chapters in something like Pro Atari or on YT,but as you rightly expressed yesterday regarding new Homebrew STE releases,your hitting the very real wall of people being shy about leaving the comfort zone of formats they are familar with...

So it's a lot of work for a limited audience...
  • Greyfox likes this

#59 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

I long since stopped supporting RetroGamer magazine, subscription cancelled, mags themselves given away in a few cases, vast majority thrown in for recycling, i'd rather see magazine articles in things like Pro Atari or put up for Free online myself if it's collected old material..

Just my personal take...
  • Greyfox likes this

#60 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users