Goodwill Merchant "Do Not Use" List

Rowsdower70

Anyone who has dealt with Shopgoodwill.com will come to find out quickly that all merchants are NOT created equally. There is very little buyer protection with Goodwill, so I think its a good idea that we share our bad experiences with the community so we can watch each other's back a bit!

I can lead off with two merchants to beware of:

1. Goodwill of the Olympics and Rainier Region (Tacoma, WA) - They may or may not ship your item if they didn't make much off of it. They did this to me, then told me they lost it about a month later. I had to go through BBB to get a refund.  

2. Goodwill Industries of North Central PA, Inc. (Falls Creek, PA) - I've used this merchant three times, each time I have had to contact customer service repeatedly to get them to even ship an item. I'm currently waiting for them to ship my item, or even respond to my ticket about an item I paid for three weeks ago.

Incidentally, both of these merchants frequently use "1 cent shipping"....so caveat emptor.  

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I had issues with the Tacoma, WA one where I got one Sega Genesis Model 1 system, controller, RF Switch, and Power Supply.  Not included when it arrived was the power supply.  Not so much a big deal but it was in the picture and they never responded to my message asking about it.  I even called them and they didn't know.  So, yea...mark another one up for Tacoma, WA.  I do know of a few others that are good but that goes against the post's topic ;)

I had issues with the Tacoma, WA one where I got one Sega Genesis Model 1 system, controller, RF Switch, and Power Supply.  Not included when it arrived was the power supply.  Not so much a big deal but it was in the picture and they never responded to my message asking about it.  I even called them and they didn't know.  So, yea...mark another one up for Tacoma, WA.  I do know of a few others that are good but that goes against the post's topic ;)

I also can recommend some merchants if we want to start a thread for that.

I went back through my records and learned that the PA location is also the one that dropped a Nintendo DS Lite in a loose padded envelope and shipped it.  When it arrived the screen was shattered.   I will say they did refund me promptly, but that is terribly irresponsible shipping.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I also can recommend some merchants if we want to start a thread for that.

I went back through my records and learned that the PA location is also the one that dropped a Nintendo DS Lite in a loose padded envelope and shipped it.  When it arrived the screen was shattered.   I will say they did refund me promptly, but that is terribly irresponsible shipping.

Especially considering how much in shipping they charge.  They have to be making extra off the shipping costs.  There's no way some of those items can cost $30 to 40 in shipping.  They do have extremely high shipping charges.  I haven't dealt with them very much lately as I stopped going to Goodwill when I heard of stories like the one on a complaint website website.  Scroll down to a post by Cynthia of Pine Mountain, GA.  

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/goodwill_store.html

I'm not trying to bash a business but Goodwill is not what it use to be.

I've done the "pick up" option for my local Goodwill location (the pick up location is about 30 miles from me).  I have to say, it's a really clean and neat place, with many workers (who have all been very nice and easy to work with).  Much bigger than I expected.  Imagine a Costco-sized building...with all shelves full of bagged lots.  They do charge a "handling fee" for pick up, but given what I've seen, it's nothing to complain about.  My guess is that all of the local Goodwills send their best items here for on-line auctions to maximize prices. 

I've done the "pick up" option for my local Goodwill location (the pick up location is about 30 miles from me).  I have to say, it's a really clean and neat place, with many workers (who have all been very nice and easy to work with).  Much bigger than I expected.  Imagine a Costco-sized building...with all shelves full of bagged lots.  They do charge a "handling fee" for pick up, but given what I've seen, it's nothing to complain about.  My guess is that all of the local Goodwills send their best items here for on-line auctions to maximize prices. 

And by "my local Goodwill" Rick means the Honey Pot!  

Archived