Ground Control to Major Tom

The Professor

I had only read one persons FACEBOOK post simply saying RIP DAVID BOWIE and I thought HERE WE GO, NOT FUNNY, but of course I immediately googled DAVID BOWIE only to instantly feel sick at the truth. I am at least glad he lived a pretty long life and was surrounded with his loved ones. :(

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

DB-Transformation-Colour.gif

He was a master at reinventing himself musically and in acting roles while simultaneously remaining one of a kind..........

the-many-faces-of-david-bowie.jpg

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

The-man-who-fell-to-earth-4-e14442894029

He even played Warhol (Basquiat 1996)

warhol.jpg

And of course as Jareth the Goblin King in Labyrinth (1986) 

anigif_optimized-9870-1418257111-8.gif

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Considering the theme of our site I would also like to share the following

In memory of David Bowie I recall the videogame Omikron: The Nomad Soul.
While it came out on PC and Dreamcast my original exposure to it was on Dreamcast. David Bowie, who had some input on the storyline and game's design, makes two cameo appearances within the game, although not as himself; first as Boz, a game character who's a revolutionary wanted by authorities, and secondly as the nameless lead-singer of the fictional musical group, "The Dreamers", who perform illegal concerts in Omikron.

David Bowie scenes in Omikron Nomad Soul

- M. Bison

David Bowie was nothing short of a legend.  An Icon in ever sense of the word.  He constantly re-invented himself to new generations.   Each time he nailed it, and new fans were born. 
It blows me away that he hid this for 18 months.   The man had five heart attacks last year due to his fight with cancer, and instead of coming out with the news he worked his ass off to make a final album, a final farewell to his fans.
I'm having to fight back tears as I go through a playlist that is nothing short of remarkable. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

For some reason I thought that he was older then he actually was. Perhaps it was because he was at the top so young and was able to adjust to change so well. It is amazing that in this modern times that he was able to keep his illness under wraps. A testament to his selection of real good friends and physical endurance. I didn't always like some of his music or things that he did, but I can respect that he really got into what he was working on. I will miss him and his zany reinventions.

Mom and I always thought he did weird stuff.  But, in all honesty, he was very much original, unique, and stood out from everything he did.  As it was already mentioned...he was a master at reinventing himself.  The only movie I ever knew he was in was Labyrinth...and that was one of my favorites from Jim Henson.  He played the Goblin King role so well that after a while you forgot it was David Bowie.  He will be missed but his legendary music and movie appearances will live on and will hopefully be inspirations for future generations.

R.I.P. David Bowie and thank you for the music and magic you made to entertain the world.  My thoughts and prayers are with your family in their time of morning.

Archived