5200 problem? please help

jmjustin6

So i found a 5200 in my buddy's basement, but we couldnt find the games so i had no idea if it worked or not. (Btw this is my first ever 5200)

Just recently chas10e threw in a 5200 dig dug in a sale we just did. (Thank you btw chas10e)

It is a 4 port so figuring out how to get it hooked up to the tv was the first nightmare. Anyway i got it plugged in and it turned on. I was very happy

Now i cant get past the start menu. I have 2 controllers and I keep pressing reset and start but it wont work.

Am i doing something wrong? Is it the controllers that are broken? Please help me. I would really love to play this beast!

post-844-0-91447000-1452884776_thumb.jpg

post-844-0-64683300-1452884812_thumb.jpg

post-844-0-19546000-1452884843_thumb.jpg

I actually wrote an article for Retrocade Magazine a few years ago on how to completely clean and repair those.  If you have never done it before it can be a tad bit tedious.  Yes...you can use a pencil eraser but be sure to use very slight pressure or you will ruin the flex circuit.  Also, double check the flex circuit running to the START/PAUSE/RESET keys as the bend in the circuit at that point does tend to break from age.  If that happens you have no choice but to replace the circuit.

Here is the link to the issue I wrote the article in if you are interested.  Click on the Preview button under the image of the magazine cover, then click on 20-21 to jump to the page.  My article starts on the right-side.  I know it is small for reading but maybe the images will give you some assistance.  http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/533103  I hope this helps.  

Congrats on the find!  The machine looks like it is in great shape for being stored.  Now that you have it out, and if you get the controllers working again, it will need to be played regularly or the controllers will fail again.  It's not a system that can be played once every few months with expectations it will work again later.  Not using it will actually ruin the controllers.  So, clean the pads to all the buttons, and I hope that works.  If not I will gladly help you rebuild them.  I have a few spare controller parts on hand.

Oh...with the Dig Dug game on, the star [*] and pound [#] keys change the player and level settings.  You might try pushing those to make sure they work, too ;)  Just some food for thought.  

Other games you can use for testing controllers (because part of owning a 5200 is also knowing how to fix those controllers) If you can find them include Galaxian to check out all the number buttons as each one starts the game on a different level.  Star Raiders uses all the keypad keys as well.  Frogger uses both keypad and joystick controls to move Frogger.  Believe it or not Pac-Man was used to help center the joystick POTs.  I have found, however, that games like Missile Command or Star Wars can give better detail on the condition of the POTs.  

An eraser!! Wow i wouldnt of thought of that. I would of used alcohol and q tips

the video was mostly used to see how to remove the bezel ... 91% rubbing alcohol & q-tips still recommended

Search for a video on the 5200 foil trick. It will more permanently fix the buttons.

I haven't really tried the foil-tape trick fully ( on any controller) ... it makes me nervous :unsure: ...  (I do have some though)

I actually wrote an article for Retrocade Magazine a few years ago on how to completely clean and repair those.  If you have never done it before it can be a tad bit tedious.  Yes...you can use a pencil eraser but be sure to use very slight pressure or you will ruin the flex circuit.  Also, double check the flex circuit running to the START/PAUSE/RESET keys as the bend in the circuit at that point does tend to break from age.  If that happens you have no choice but to replace the circuit.

Here is the link to the issue I wrote the article in if you are interested.  Click on the Preview button under the image of the magazine cover, then click on 20-21 to jump to the page.  My article starts on the right-side.  I know it is small for reading but maybe the images will give you some assistance.  http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/533103  I hope this helps.  

Congrats on the find!  The machine looks like it is in great shape for being stored.  Now that you have it out, and if you get the controllers working again, it will need to be played regularly or the controllers will fail again.  It's not a system that can be played once every few months with expectations it will work again later.  Not using it will actually ruin the controllers.  So, clean the pads to all the buttons, and I hope that works.  If not I will gladly help you rebuild them.  I have a few spare controller parts on hand.

I have tried conductive paint to repair a flex circuit before (on space Ace controller) ....picked it up @Radioshack .... make sure to replace the cap when finished though  ^_^

great job on article ... my eyesight is bad but pictures were fun to look at  B)

Mine aren't much better.  I will have to look but I might have a revision of a similar article I can share with you that would be easier for you to read.  Thank you for the compliment.  The 5200 is still my all-time favorite console.  You have a four-port which looks really nice...well...your friend has a nice 5200 I should say.  Is Dig Dug the only game you have found?

Well we had found a lot of other stuff in his basement and he had no interest in them so i bought it all from him, but we couldnt find his atari 2600 or 5200 games.

The 5200 has been with me for about a month and the only place near me that sells the games has their cheapest loose game at $25 so i didnt want to spend that to gind out it didnt work

So chas10e was awesome enough to throw in dig dug in a sale we just had

Something that hasn't been mentioned...use that same eraser trick to clean the carbon dots on the pads as well.  That should help if you want to try it before going the foil route.  I'm sure you will let us know how it goes.  I don't have any dupe 5200 titles but should I come across any I will be sure to let you know.

The 5200 has a rather large learning curve if you are use to 2600-style controls.  One of the things I mention most to someone who has never used a 5200 before is to try not to use the joystick by grabbing the top of the handle.  If you can try to move the joystick from the base of the handle by cradling it between your thumb and index finger.  Seriously...try it.  You can get a bit better control over the movement.  And, yes, getting use to the non-centering of the controller can take time to learn.  It really is a good system once you get the hang of it.  And the 5200 Pole Position is the only one with analog controls that predates modern consoles.  

Did you try the eraser on the underside of the pads (START/PAUSE/RESET/KEYPAD/FIRE BUTTONS) yet?  If not that might help regain their functionality.

That is a fatal flaw of the 5200  :atari_5200:

Shame on you Justin.   :rofl:   Fatal flaw?  Naaa....

fixt ;)

Yep...nostalgic beauty I like much better.  However you look or perceive the 5200 it's still an Atari.   ;)

I would just like to say thanks to you guys for the help. I was about to toss these controllers aside and go buy some sealed 5200 controllers

They still have sealed 5200 controllers???  These wear from not being used so I would expect, even if new in the box for 30 plus years, they most likely won't work either without taking them apart to clean them LOL.

You are welcome.

They still have sealed 5200 controllers???  These wear from not being used so I would expect, even if new in the box for 30 plus years, they most likely won't work either without taking them apart to clean them LOL.

You are welcome.

Hi guys, interesting stuff here.  Got my first 5200 last summer and love it.  I've heard this about the controllers - it seems weird to me that they go bad from disuse - why is this?  And which parts go bad - the buttons only, or the stick as well?

Archived