Does Major League Baseball talk

RickR

From the "you learn something new" department.  Lee pointed out in chat that Intellivision Major League Baseball talks!  Here is the money quote from the Blue Sky Rangers site:

http://intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/sports.html#baseball

FUN FACT: Major League Baseball is the only cartridge to use the Intellivision sound chip for speech synthesis (the umpire crying "Yer out!"). Marketing put a stop to any further such use, fearing it would hurt sales of the Intellivoice module.

Here's a clip of the speech (go to the 17 second mark)

Now I'll admit...I've played this game a lot as a kid and never knew that was supposed to be speech.  I suppose if you squint your ears, it kind of sounds like "Yer Out".

What do you think?

The "marketing put a stop" part sounds completely bogus, as this game came out years before there was a speech module. 

Nice post Rick!

Now I'll admit...I've played this game a lot as a kid and never knew that was supposed to be speech.  I suppose if you squint your ears, it kind of sounds like "Yer Out".

What do you think?

The "marketing put a stop" part sounds completely bogus, as this game came out years before there was a speech module. 

I agree on both counts!

not sure about INTV baseball but this one

super_challenge_baseball_cart_7.jpg

still sounds like it says "Out!" Of course its not bad ( not perfect neither) since it doesn't require an addon and pretty good for when it came out at that time.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

not sure about INTV baseball but this one

still sounds like it says "Out!" Of course its not bad ( not perfect neither) since it doesn't require an addon and pretty good for when it came out at that time.

Here's a link to an out in M-Network Super Challenge Baseball.  You hear "Out"?  Sorry, man, I respectfully argue that ain't speech.  I hear the same sound as your ship firing in Demon Attack.  If they intended this to sound like speech, it's news to me -- never heard of that before. 

What do you all think?

If they intended this to sound like speech, it's news to me -- never heard of that before. 

What do you all think?

I always thought it was.....probably as close as they could get "at that time". I agree it still isn't clear speech though. 

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I have to admit that my 5200 shocked me when I discovered a few years ago Berzerk with voice.  I was like, "Whoa!  My 5200 talks?"  So, yea, the Baseball game is on my list of 5200 games.  The voice is easier to understand.  But, the Intellivision Baseball game is fun.  I had it and enjoyed it for a short while.  But I'm a single player with no one else to play these retro games with.  Interesting subject!

I dunno, it's a stretch to call that voice.   The sound is VERY similar to other standard INTV sounds.

Having said that, it does sound similar.  Maybe they did attempt it and this was the best they could do.

Either way, its quite cool.  MLB Baseball was a good un.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Archived