Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari Lynx: A romance of high scores and low batteries

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Video 61

Video 61

Atari Sales & Service

• Verified Vendor
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:26 AM

Great new article about Atari Lynx at Engadget:

http://www.engadget..../09/atari-lynx/

• Justin, The Professor, Yo-Yo and 1 other like this

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

#2 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for sharing that article Lance! The article includes a nice link to our friend btbfilms76's recent Lynx Lounge episode on ElectroCop  :electrocop: 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#3 Yo-Yo

Yo-Yo

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:39 AM

I read throu the article twice. It's meant to be a positive story on Lynx but it sure feels like a hit piece to me. All these negative things in there and not much positive to say. I mean really, who hates on ElectroCop?
  • Lost Dragon likes this
Welcome to the short bus.

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:01 AM

It is an odd take on the Lynx, i have to admit...

Fair cop for praising the hardware, whilst being honest enough to point out it's design flaws, but for an article i assume is intended to celbrate what the Lynx did right, there's a distinct lack of: Games you really must play.... to it.

The writer talks of the mistakes he made in terms of games purchased, which is fine, Electrocop+Robotron 2084 simply weren't to his tastes, in same way say whilst i loved GTA 3+VC, i've never taken to GTA:SA/GTA4+GTA5, not every 'great' game appeals to everyone...but other than Cal. Games, he could of done more to point out which games (espically now he owns 'them all') really stood out for him.

It seemed an odd ommission.

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:05 AM

Also, was he implying the Lynx he'd bought off Ebay hadn't aged well or the Lynx hardware itself by today's standards? low resolution, limited colours on screen etc?.I assume he meant the model he picked up, which had a dodgy screen, but then you buy a Sega Game Gear and your taking a risk, screen and speaker might well be dicky..it's the very nature of buying such old electronics...one of my Tomy 3D Tronic handhelds screens went down soon after paying a pretty penny for it on Ebay.

Being very picky here, but i'd also welcomed a little more 'depth' to his research when talking about Lynx planned to be used to link with Jaguar.It would of been great to here how it was proposed to be used as a Motion Tracker for Jaguar AVP and if he'd dug further still, he'd of found Atari had earlier plans still, as they had intended the Lynx to link-up to the canned Panther console.

Plus, Nintendo were linking GBA-to-GameCube and Sony PSP-to-PS3 long before Nintendo did the Wii U, so article seems a bit too causal.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 11 February 2016 - 07:11 AM.

#6 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 966 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:37 AM

I remember my first encounter with a Lynx II pick up.  I got it new in box from Game X Change headquarters in Springdale, Arkansas.  I traded some stuff in and was not sure what to do with the store credit.  I found the Lynx in box with a few games included inside a glass case.  I went back later to use the rest of my credits for a power supply, large case, and few more titles.  I think I took in my Saturn at the time.  

I thought the Lynx was a wonderful system.  Small, sleek, color, and backlit.  It also had games I was familiar with like A.P.B., Gauntlet, Joust, California Games, topped the list.  Before I could go back and pick up more titles the store sold them all off at a discount to get rid of them.  I ended up parting with my Lynx and games later for one reason or another.  I hope to pick one up again sometime as it is a really good handheld.  I'll have to keep lots of rechargeable batteries on hand ;)

• Lost Dragon likes this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:05 AM

Well said.

I'd of liked the article to of focused just a tad more on the stand out Lynx games, so mention of Stun Runner, Roadblasters (which shamed ST/Amiga versions), Toki, APB, Rampart etc would of been ideal and showcased just why the Lynx desrves credit to this day.

@Yo-Yo:Whilst they didn't so much 'hate' on it, UK magazine, when reviewing Electrocop, did highlight a few niggles.....

1)Your character didn't stand out enough from his surrondings and the game lacked depth, so you found yourself doing the same thing over and over again....

Maybe these put off the writer of this article as well?.

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

Another UK review of Electrocop, this time, Lynx User Issue 5,August 1992....

Gave it 7/10 critiscms were..little to do aside from destroying robots, same tune throughout game, could of done with different music per level,minimal sound FX left a lot to be desired,game was too easy etc.

Reviewer felt it was an average game which would of been.much improved with having different graphics on each level and better sound fx,but if you were into 3D shooters, this would be right up your street.
  • BlackCatz40 likes this

#9 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 134 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

Hi, fellow Atarians,

I have been playing "Electrocop" on my Lynx II quite a bit. I love the way it scrolls and plays. Also, the graphics were quite innovative at the time. Surely, the music is repetitive and some of the levels look the same. I think that it may be more difficult than some think, but that's just me. Anyway, we're looking at a game that was one of the first Lynx games ever made. When you have a new system comes out, even the developers still need to tinker with it and the games to get the full potential of the system. This can take a while. I agree that "Electrocop" could have been more. But, being the game that it is, it still really shines. Sometimes, being it is a side-scroller, it kind of reminds of "Metroid," only it has robots instead of aliens in a building on a future Earth. Kind of a combo of "Metroid" and "Xybots," don't you think? Cool idea, though.

Thanks for letting me share. :)

Edited by BlackCatz40, 13 June 2016 - 02:44 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

Exactly for all Electrocop's flaws, it was a 1st wave title and you've only to look at how how games developed on other Atari formats over time to discover how much progress could be made once designers, coders etc really streched the limits in terms of hardware and thinking...

Star Glider to Star Glider II, Midwinter to Midwinter II, on the ST, let alone late era VCS games that were doing things no one thought possible.

There's nothing wrong with the music in Electrocop, i know it has a lot of fans, think the reviewers complaint simply was it was the only piece of music, you'd expect different tracks per level, something else to look forward too etc.

I'd of loved to of seen a few of my favourite musicians compose some tracks on the Lynx:Tim Follin, Fred Grey, Rob Hubbard (if he returned to his prime days of SID, not the Genesis/Amiga rubbish he pumped out for E.A), Martin Galway (i know he worked on the Nintendo GB), Jeroen Tel, Matt Gray etc, but it was not to be.

That's a great way to describe Electrocop by the way :-)

It's great to hear viewpoints from the players as well as the press, so thank YOU for sharing.

• BlackCatz40 likes this

#11 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

Might as well through in GameZone's thoughts on Electrocop (UK Magazine)

Scored 4/5 in it's console connection section, text:

`A 3D shoot and search game after Robocop.An interesting and addictive game with some very high quality sub-games within the main program`

So there was love for the game here in UK :-)

#12 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:27 PM

OK, so i often wondered just WHERE those claims of various US Gold games headed for Lynx actually sprang from, other than Strider II 50% complete via UK Magazine, RAZE..easy enough to find:

August 22nd 1990 Atari P.R statement claims they have CONTRACTED 6 outside firms to develop a further 13 games for the Lynx...

APTI Game systems were to produce: Battle Universe and Alternate earth, never heard of either myself, no idea if they ever got started.

Shadowsoft were to produce Bugs...ditto above there for myself.

Reflex Software to do Cards.

Telegames had likes of Chess etc.

US Gold were supposed to be doing:Leaderboard/Rotox and Italy 1990

So CONTRACTED to dop, does NOT mean games were ever started, it's 1 thing to annouce a partnership with, contracts in place, but so many factors can mean contracts simply torn up.

With atari i can think of any number of reasons they'd want out of a contract, not least of all thinking they could eoither do without the games (by getting another developer to produce a cheaper alternative title) or by with holding payment or telling developer to fit game into a smaller cartridge etc.

So are any of these really true lost games?

Until proof appears work actually started, i say..NO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users