Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

C64 Commando Arcade SE (2015)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

After discussing how Chris Butler himself returned to C64 Space Harrier to improve on the rushed Pal version, for the NTSC release, i thought it only fair we looked at how others had taken to improving his work, starting with Commando:

The original version, much like Space Harrier was rushed out for a deadline (think Chris coded C64 Commando inunder 2 months)....so it's fantastic to see what could of been, if Elite had given him a lot more time.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 12 February 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#2 Yo-Yo

Yo-Yo

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

LactobacillusPrime joined the forums here recently I think. Maybe he'll turn up and post more about this. I like his YouTube stuff. They say the man is a genius.
  • Lost Dragon likes this
Welcome to the short bus.

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

I'd love to know a lot more about his work, would be amazing to see him post up on it.

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

Wanted to return to this before year was out, to add why C64 original turned out the way it did, at hands of Chris Butler, as i so often unfairly see it compared next to the XE GS version, done by different team under different circumstances.

This was Chris Butler's 1st real BIG coding conversion and Elite gave him all of 8 weeks to produce it.

*Just to put this into perspective:

He took 5 months to convert Ghosts 'N' Goblins to the C64

Amstrad CPC coders spent 2 weeks just doing backgrounds converting Bmx Kids (Firebird) from the C64 to the CPC....

He joined Elite in October'85 and Elite wanted Commando at retail in time for the essential Xmas market and during said 8 weeks, Chris had to learn new coding techniques (including splitting sprites), just to make conversion possible.

The original version he wrote had 4 of the coin-op's 8 levels, however Rob Hubbard told Elite his (stunning) SID music neeeded 6K of music and there wasn't that much left, so Steve Wilcox, head of Elite, had Chris remove level 3.

Had Chris of not wasted time coding extra level, hopefully the bugs in Pal code could of been sorted.

Chris also HATED multiload C64 titles, so crammed as much as he could into a single load on Space Harrier, Ghosts N Goblins and Commando (cue G NG only having 4 levels when coin-op had 6)

Maybe 1 day people who insist on comparing commercial C64 Space Harrier and Commando to XEGS and homebrew A8 versions will be honest enough to make all the above clear, in interest of balance.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 26 December 2016 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users