Hi there. Old guy, new member.

gelkster

Hey all, gelkster here. Finally decided to join up today after seeing lots of atari.io items on Facebook. Thought it couldnt hurt to access another portal into the fascinating & entertaining world of ATARI!!!

A bit about myself: i'm a 44 yo male, married, w/ 2 8-yo boys who are VERY into games- mainly Minecraft & Terraria (it's about all one of them talks about) but they also like the classics. I'm not particurlary biased against modern gaming per se, but if it uses more than a couple buttons, I usu. wont play it.

Along with some handhelds & consoles I have a coin-op Xevious which my lovely wife got me for my 40th birthday; still amazes me to this day that sometime while we were dating 15 yrs back, I must've casually mentioned it was my favorite, & she remembered. It's in our family game room (not a "man cave") that I put together last August & am still kinda shaping up. Strangely, my wife has firmly limited me to that single coin-op game. She started it!

I guess I'm an Atari fanboy at heart, but I've owned several systems over the years. I've also had several item purges since then, & dont regret anything I've gotten rid of. I used to have WAAAYYY more stuff, but it's not a priority or possibility anymore, esp. when I'm trying to set an example to my family about downsizing- I'm not into hoarding in any form.

I'm also a nostalgia buff, focusing mainly on the late 70s-80s, the best days of my life, & I often daydream & think back to those simpler times- I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could. Oh, I'm an AtariAge member from way back, still active there as "RJ" & hope/expect to see people I know over here. I used to frequent Digitpress, but it's been ages.

7800- 800XL- ColecoVision & mods.1&2- Flashback2- GBA SP- launch PS2- slim PS2- Wii- DSLite x2- DSi- slim PS3- Xevious

Thanks guys! I consider myself a good writer though I've never done so in any professional capacity. Way back I wrote some Jaguar game reviews for Dan Iacovelli's AVC paper newsletter. I also reviewed Chris Frederico's (Chris ++) "Classic Gaming Bookcast" & was told it would be included in his next work.

HI PHIL!!!

7800- 800XL- ColecoVision & mods.1&2- Flashback2- GBA SP- launch PS2- slim PS2- Wii- DSLite x2- DSi- slim PS3- Xevious

Well I cant think of anything clever for my sig so I recycled my AtariAge one. & I kinda like the Berzerk robot as my pic, a nice change from my boring old Atari fuji logo from AA (no offense jmjustin6!)

Feels weird joining up & seeing people with so many more posts, after being on AA for 13 yrs. I got some catching up to do! & the sites are structured similarly, any history to that? Ease of use, or same origins?

Well I cant think of anything clever for my sig so I recycled my AtariAge one. & I kinda like the Berzerk robot as my pic, a nice change from my boring old Atari fuji logo from AA (no offense jmjustin6!)

Feels weird joining up & seeing people with so many more posts, after being on AA for 13 yrs. I got some catching up to do! & the sites are structured similarly, any history to that? Ease of use, or same origins?

Here's a brief history of the site: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/906-on-the-15th-anniversary-of-this-website/

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Welcome to the forums gelkster!

It's fantastic to have you join us! I think you're really going to like it here. There is a very friendly, positive feel to this community with lots of great people and fun events.

The forums were built to be fun and welcoming. Our members are the most awesome classic gamers out there, everyone is friendly and trusting and having this type of a community has led to some great trades, fun events, retro junk boxes, and lots more. Everybody is here because they really want to be, and it's resulted in a great community.

Both sites run on IP Board  ^_^

Hiya Ferg!

Hey where are the high score contests? I dont see them within the system subforums. Are they called squad challenges?

yes they are..............here's the current one:

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1636-squad-challenge-dig-dug-atari-7800/

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Hey, R.J. Gelkster! (Does R.J. stand for "Retro-Junkie"?) If 44 is old, then we're equally old. I don't buy it. As Carole King sang, "You're as old as you feel." She didn't sing those words specifically, but the word "beautiful" doesn't apply to real men like us. (Grimacing in a manly way)

Yes, your awesome feedback will be definitely be included in the second Classic-Gaming Bookcast e-book. Thanks for mentioning it. And I didn't know you had a Xevious! How cool! Taking care of two kids certainly explains why you haven't started a podcast yet. :)

Archived