Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Dave Needle Has Sadly Passed Away....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

I was browsing the 'English Amiga Board' Forum (EAB) when news of Dave's sad passing caught my eye:

http://www.google.co...N0L5jqjyl8qOIUA

Coming so soon after the sad news of Mr Les Player (Atari UK's) passing, this is yet another dark day for the Atari community.

My thoughts and prayers go to Daves family and close friends at this difficult time.

• atarilbc and jmjustin6 like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

Rest in Peace

• Lost Dragon likes this

#3 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

Yes I have had report on Facebook about Dave passing, again this has been a shocking year so far with lots of famous people passing in both worlds computer and real, I'm hoping that the Bedroom to billions :Amiga years may give a tribute to him or a special clip to backers as a goodbye to such an inventive genius bigger than the world he inhabited.

As with colaberation with development of the Atari Lynx, and Pansonic's 3DO been apart of such incredible video gaming devices, and the mighty and probably his most recognised for the Commodre Amiga along with Jay Miner, I don't think anybody that has been involved in such ground break technology from the mid eighties , nineties has no only changed the way we played games, but also allowed us to be as creative as we wanted to be.

So his passing shouldn't be seen as a negitive but rather as been lucky to have had such amazing things given to us and one that will live on forever within the communities that loved the things he helped create.

R.I.P. Dave , you were a man of many talents and surpassed only my your own limitations which appeared boundless.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#4 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

That is terribly sad news. Dave Needle and RJ Mical were responsible for the development of the Atari Lynx, along with other platforms such as Amiga and 3DO. These men are giants.

Just this week I've been working on a 1min video montage "thanking" all those who contributed to the impact Atari has made on the world. I included Dave and RJ for their contribution with the Lynx. Now I wish I had finished the video sooner.

Thank you Dave.  Your legacy will live on in our forums, on our blog, and in the hearts of gamers everywhere to whom you brought so much joy over the years.  :atari_lynx:

• MaximumRD, RickR, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

We have simply lost so many and so much with their passing :-(

Richard Joesph, Mike Singleton,Tony Gibson (http://www.gamesthat...ary/#more-10230) etc and now recently news of the passing of Les Player and Dave Needles.

I know for so many of us, their legacy will remain long, long after in our hearts, our minds, online, you name it.

Poor health has also put stop sadly to ST Head Over Heels 2 being finished, i've recieved word of another legend for myself being taken ill (not sure if it's public knowledge yet so won't say any more).....

I just want to pause for just a moment and give thanks to everyone from the games industry:Hardware desiner, coder, artist, musician, you name it, who's work made such a massive, massive impact on my childhood and later years.

Without these people, the magic simply would not of happened.....  

It's that simple.

• Greyfox likes this

#6 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 957 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

Giants that helped shaped the industry indeed. RIP  :(

• Lost Dragon likes this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

"The new consoles have stepped up their processing power to try to outdo the PC's...but an Xbox with a keyboard will never be a substitute for a PC".

Dave Needle there, talking about the then new 'super consoles', the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and how true his words ring when i still see the pointless PC vs Console wars rage on likes of Eurogamer etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users