Atari 7800 Trakball with Red Buttons

Clint Thompson

Go figure, I can't find the source for this but wanted to see if anyone knew off the top of their head exactly what I'm referring to.

Someone was converting new CX80 trakballs and coating the red buttons with some sort of rubber and I can't remember who or where I saw it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Go figure, I can't find the source for this but wanted to see if anyone knew off the top of their head exactly what I'm referring to.

Someone was converting new CX80 trakballs and coating the red buttons with some sort of rubber and I can't remember who or where I saw it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I made those in 2012. Well, I should say I modded the buttons red, put on new clear rubber feet and took the picture Arenafoot posted above. The project belongs to Video 61 and isn't related to our website. I helped out because I thought it would be a fun project and would look cool to have a 7800 style Trak-Ball controller out there! The 7800 never got enough love in the peripheral department :atari_7800:  

This was Lance's project at Video 61. His vision, his product, his deal. He talked about it for a year! Lance is an Atari retailer from way back when this stuff was new from Atari. He took his last remaining inventory of new in the box Trak-Balls and converted them to "7800 Compatible Trak-Balls" with independently functioning fire buttons, like on 7800 joysticks. My contribution was to add the red fire buttons, more responsive button springs, new rubber feet, rewrapped the cords in the little zip ties, etc. I thought they would look nice. I think Lance still has one or two left, but he could tell you better than I can. I don't know what was sold on eBay but these went for a premium as they were his last remaining stock of new Trak-Balls and a lot of care was put into making a quality product. I don't take a financial interest in these projects, I just thought it would be fun to do. Video 61 is a member here so I'll let him speak for himself.

I have to say though, I'm really proud of that project. The 7800 Trak-Balls came out great and they were really, really cool. MaximumRD loves Trak-Balls and I had wanted to send one to him for his birthday. I wish I had kept one!

tb10.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C87OoebQtU

Yes! This :)

Where?

I see you got an answer above :thumb: - i had the pic but couldn't find where it came from. I searched different Atari FB groups for you with no luck. 

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Thanks a lot for the info guys! It does look amazing, which is why I want one to add to my collection if it's not too late but I'll send an email.

Thanks again! I get so busy and sidetracked with crap I forget about things I wanted to pickup when time permits only to remember much later.

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Thanks a lot for the info guys! It does look amazing, which is why I want one to add to my collection if it's not too late but I'll send an email.

Thanks again! I get so busy and sidetracked with crap I forget about things I wanted to pickup when time permits only to remember much later.

I'm pretty sure it's not too late  ^_^

the box I recall seeing on ebay featured the red buttons as well

It turns out, Video 61 wasn't selling 7800 Trak-Balls on eBay so it was probably a reseller. If the eBay listing had the 7800 Trak-Ball box with it, it should have included this label:

track1.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's not too late  ^_^

It turns out, Video 61 wasn't selling 7800 Trak-Balls on eBay so it was probably a reseller. If the eBay listing had the 7800 Trak-Ball box with it, it should have included this label:

track1.jpg

Huge trackball fan - New mission #needone

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Archived