Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Gauntlet trivia

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

Just having yet another massive clear out of old magazines (as you do), re-reading Edge Magazine's:The Making Of.....Gauntlet.

Superb stuff :-)

Talk about thinking outside the box Ed Logg deciding not to have a plexiglass shield in front of the monitor, in order to reduce glare, which became unsolvable from 4 different viewpoints...no plexiglass shield was unheard of in those days and despite proving it was a safe practice (by dropping steel balls onto the monitor), many arcade operators thought it was an unsafe move.

Article also pointed out the differences between arcade gamers in the West and those in Japan....basically reports started coming in, then Loggs team recieved video footage to prove it, that certain Japanese players, could in effect play forever, as they tended to play solo as Japanese gaming culture seemed to prevent others joining in, so the team had to add code that saw the game removing food etc from a level, IF it detected players doing too well.

:-)

• Greyfox and RickR like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,840 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:13 AM

Truly a great game.  Loved being able to play at the same time with friends. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#3 Chris++

Chris++

Cherry Member

• 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:32 AM

I agree, Gauntlet's awesome. That sounds like an extremely interesting article. I highly recommend Ed Logg's lecture about the game:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ItH-mV32KQY

While I'm at it, if you have a C64 or an emulator, do yourself a favor and play EA's Demon Stalkers. It's the greatest Gauntlet clone I've ever played. (Well, technically, it's the greatest Dandy clone I've ever played, but that's for another thread!)

• Greyfox, RickR, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users