Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Amiga A600 Vampire II Hardware Accelerator

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,077 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:32 AM

This is literally blowing my mind, never would of dreamed this possible on any Amiga let alone a A600! 

Check out these great vids by Modern Vintage Gamer

• Justin, The Professor, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#2 Keatah

Keatah

Cherry Member

• 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

• The Professor, MaximumRD and Lost Dragon like this

#3 Keatah

Keatah

Cherry Member

• 40 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:36 AM

I wonder what how we'll be "doing Amiga" in the next 5 and 10 years? I see 4 possible methods:

1- Software emulation like WinUAE

2- Original hardware from back in the day

3- Internal FPGA plug in upgrade boards for original hardware (vampire series)

4- External stand-alone FPGA recreations of original hardware with potential for new modifications (MiST and successors)

1- Software emulation means not having to worry about acquiring and maintaining 35 year old hardware. And it potentially affords more versatility than original stuff. To say nothing of reliability. With emulation, anyone can get going for cheap or free.

2- Real hardware. Well, it's real hardware. The old & gold standard.

3 & 4 seem interesting in different ways. Is it it better to upgrade real hardware with new capabilities? And yet be limited by that real hardware? Or is it better to work entirely within FPGA fabric and build new ideas and concepts from the original hardware? New custom chips, modifications to architecture, new processor specs with mods, that sort of thing.

In any case I'm still surprised at how long it's taking for FPGA to catch on and go mainstream.

Edited by Keatah, 14 November 2016 - 05:38 AM.

• MaximumRD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users