Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

resident evil chainsaw controller

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

What i've tried to do here is make sure 'The Loot' is shared out equally among all the good folk from here who've approached me/everyone gets something kinda vibe.

The site has always been fantastic to me and i'd like to be able to return the thanks.

Friends of mine keep saying 'Are you sure you want to just give this away?' (YES) and yes i know value of Retro is going mental on Ebay etc, but pffff, can i take it with me?

No.

Not wishing to sound bleak, but it's better i give my gear away to good homes now, than just sit on it or it become an issue of what to do with it, should anything happen to me, for someone else, after i'm gone.

Call it forward thinking :-)

Edited by Lost Dragon, 05 April 2016 - 10:04 AM.

• RickR likes this

#22 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,161 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

That's awesome Lost Dragon! Good on you!

• Lost Dragon likes this

#23 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,438 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

Wow again thank you so much. I dont think i have met another person like you. I hope you have a blessed life!
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#24 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

Guys your welcome, trust me on that.

Folks been kind to me over the years giving extra each time i did a trade or selling stuff for far less than they could of got on Ebay etc.

The community here has been amazing from day 1, so for myself, it seems the straight forward way of saying a rather nice thank you.

All my DVD's, PS2, PS3 etc games i've sat in storage will be going to Cancer Research UK.

Just picked up the donation bags from work, they have a big donation station in the lobby.

Seen far too many family and friends sucumb to Cancer and the devastation it leaves in it's wake, so least i can do.

My life not exactly been blessed :-) but i'm bloody thankful for the people i've met along the way.

• MaximumRD, Greyfox, RickR and 1 other like this

#25 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,366 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:13 PM

Seen far too many family and friends sucumb to Cancer and the devastation it leaves in it's wake, so least i can do.

Amen to this.  I hope we see a cure to all cancer in our lifetimes. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#26 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,438 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

A friend of the family's 5 year old was diagnosed with cancer last year the only memories i had if him was when he was at the hospital playing mario kart 64 for hours on end. He was a sweet kid and i miss him. I was starting to show him some NES games and he seemed really excited
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#27 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

I've seen Cancer take away the life of a friend of mine's Daughter at the very same time his wife was battling it, seen people i once worked with struck down with it, my Uncle is recovery from it, it's been a dark reminder in pretty much every aspect of my life as long as i've known and the quicker they find a bloody cure for it, the better and that's sadly not going to happen without funding.

#28 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

update time:

So, today, filled 3 donation station bags, 2 for Cancer Research UK, the other the British Heart Foundation, with books, graphic novels, DVDs...inc entirebox sets for entire shows like The Shield, plus....

2 PC games, 4 Xbox 360 games, 13 PS2 games, 34 Xbox games, 11 PS3 games and 2 PS1 games.

That was just from going through 2 boxes and 2 cupboards

3 black bags filled with old, useless to me UK Magazines for recycling....

More Edge, Crash, Arcade, Atari Ent., Maximum, The One, Mean Machines,YS etc.

All my RetroGamer magazines from the Imagine Publishing era went last week, kept all the ones from the Live Qpublishing era as prefered magazine in it's early days, writers seemed to cover things like Shadow Run in far more depth, own games and systems they wrote about.

Also found a few copies of RetroFusion in there, they went in with the rest.

Copy of Gamezone been wrapped up, ready to post to Germany, my good friend High Voltage over on AA wants that one.

The GB Pack, Neo Geo Colour Pocket etc all been boxed up, ready to go out to USA for the good folk on here....

Hope to post tomorrow morning......

So, bloody busy day so far, but rewarding.
  • RickR and StormSurge like this

#29 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,438 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

Thats great man. You are doing something i dont think i will ever be ready to do

Edited by jmjustin6, 10 April 2016 - 10:37 AM.

#30 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Dude :-)

I've done it in small steps before, ie threw out all my Playstation Plus, UFG, SCi-Fi Now, Dream Watch, X-Gamer Magazines.All went into recycling.

Gave away mint boxed GBA games, a SNES, N64 etc to good homes...

But all the while i was clearing out, i was impulse buying, storing stuff, dipping my toe into odd games.Just generally p*ssing about wasting time and money on what?.

Games should be played, enjoyed, shared etc.

Information, once proven correct, (not copied off Wikip, or claim made up you spoke to Bilbo Baggins or are best mates with Lord Lucan as like you have him on Facebook and everyfink..like), should be freely shared and sites like Unseen64/GTW, many others work tirelessly to preserve and find out what happened to....

So it's been a real pleasure to assist these, productions like ST Gamer, Classic Console mag, the Unseen64 book etc, but it's simply time to move on for MYSELF.

I'm not even suggesting what others should do, but for me? yeah...sun is indeed setting :-)

• Greyfox, RickR and jmjustin6 like this

#31 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

It's like that issue of Gamezone, for a few bob, chap in Germany now has a full collection.

With the items i'm sending the guys on here? the devices will be used, games played.

All the stuff gone into Charity donation bags? i hope it does raise a few quid, lord alone knows they badly need the money for research, care, treatment etc.Hell, odds are it could be me myself 1 day needing the services these provide.

Far better the stuff is sold, money put to work, rather than everything not having seen sunlight for months, sat in a box or cupboard in a spare room at my folks as i had nowhere to put it/didn't need it.

• RickR and jmjustin6 like this

#32 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,366 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:56 PM

Inspiring.  I've been culling my collection too.  Anything not actually played or cherished is going away.  Thanks for the push. 

• StormSurge, Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

#33 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:49 AM

It feels good, doesn't it Rick?.

Initally your never sure, doubts spring up, erm, what if i get urge to play this in a few months, or someone says look what X goes for now...or someone has something you badly want/need and wants what you once had in trade...no, best keep hold...

And back into storage it goes.

But months pass, you go looking for something, wade through box after box and everything is still there, unused and then you need to start going through stuff properly and it hits you just how pointless simply having stuff there often is, no, you've not used it, your not likely too either.

Good luck with your cull my friend and welcome to the age of enlightenment :-)

• RickR likes this

#34 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:53 AM

Actually for myself, getting to see the benifits of passing stuff on, is bloody fantastic.

When i took the suitcase of action figures, Graphic Novels, games etc around to my friends house, look of delight on their faces was priceless.

1 had recently gotten hooked by Walking Dead TV show, never seen the Graphic Novels, i dumped 1st 10 volumes at her feet :-)

Her partner is a huge horror fan, but as the Freddy motion action figure i had was discontinued, he'd of had to of paid silly money on Ebay for 1....now no such concerns.

He'd never played Resident Evil 4, but the blood splattered chainsaw? his face just lit up.

Last night, dropped my 360 off and chap who had it had never played Hydro Thunder H.....

Cue him, myself, his girlfriend up into the small hours playing multiplayer races and loving it..i'd not touched that game in months prior to this.

• RickR and jmjustin6 like this

#35 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

Well good people, it is...DONE. :-)

Your parcels are out of my hands, all sent, via Int Track+Sign, be it USA or Germany.

Postage alone for everything could of seen me buy a Mega-Hyped, 25 Trillion G, day1 patched PS4 title, where all patch did was allow you to revert controls on aiming...LMAO, but as i said fronm the very start, the value of the items enclosed, cost of posting, yadda yadda, is meaningless to myself.

Fact they are going to good, deserving homes is PRICELESS.

Any issues, shout out (i didn't have time to test anything before i sent it) and i'll either look up parcels myself or pass on tracking details.

Enjoy, live long and prosper..you name it :-)

• RickR likes this

#36 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

Inspiring.  I've been culling my collection too.  Anything not actually played or cherished is going away.  Thanks for the push. 

Ditto. I looked at my NES collection & realized I had a large selection of games that not only have I never played, but barely heard of. They have no value to me. I'm more of a sentimental guy, wistful for those halcyon days of youth when I would waste days upon days playing games. (Compared to my days of now, where I waste night upon night playing games)

That's why my trade list is growing. That & the fact I may be moving later this year, I'd rather these games go to others who will enjoy them.

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#37 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

@RickR and StormSurge:This is most awesome news to hear that you are joining myself in the great purge of clutter in 2016 :-)

You guys are of great credit to yourselves for doing this, spread the word, spread the love....

Let our unused games be loved once more.

#38 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

Nothing heard from Luca/Unseen64 so no idea if his parcel has reached Italy yet, but...

High Voltage over on AA just messaged to say his GameZone Issue 8 i donated to him has arrived :-)

"Take care and thanks again, After 25 years, Game Zone complete...."

So yeah feeling good, rather than sat in my cupboard or gone for recycling, someones magazine collection is now complete after 25 years of trying.

It's not a cure for the common cold etc, but just proof little things can make a big difference in the community via random acts :-)

• StormSurge likes this

#39 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

Parcel 2...or The European Wave :-), has been recieved today it seems, Message in from Luca, Unseen64:

"Ciao Ross! I received your parcel today, that was huge :D
i put all the pages in a new box so they are in order and i will scan the Aliens + AVP + Predator Concrete Jungle + Timeshift between the next few days and the next weeks so you'll be able to share them :)
Thanks A LOT for these! They will be really useful"

Side Note:AVP Galaxy wanted the AVP stuff, Assembler had a Timeshift thread i was posting in, so wanted this lot up 1st for those sites.

But yep, great to hear it arrivred ok and Unseen64 etc will be making great use of the material contained.

Hopefully not too long before USA parcels arrive guys.

#40 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

Follow up message from High Voltage:

"Hi

wow that was quick, just arrived home from work, and the envelope was waiting in my letterbox. Anyway, many thanks again for the mag, Game Zone and the one off issue of Fistful complete.

Gonna sit down tonight and read it, don't know why I missed it, but that happened....

Take care"

Now, i've personally never seen any issues of Gamezone scanned and put online for free PDF type download, so many folks might not be familar with this UK mag, but it was great, lot of Lynx coverage for starters :-)

So, i could of put my nigh on complete, plus duplicates, collection up on Ebay, made a good few bob for myself, i could of sent them to someone like Mort to scan, put online, but his hard work has been abused in the past i'm sad to say, so i think i'll keep the remainders, never know when anyone else might need an issue or 2 to complete their collections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users