eBay Finds

RickR

1 hour ago, LeeJ07 said:

This arrived in the mail today. I look forward to exploring the more unusual side of Nintendo once everything gets settled again. 

A question: Is American voltage too high for the Famicom? Will I burn it out if I plug it into any outlet?

First congrats Lee, Famicom is a beauty, one console I have never had the pleasure of owning. 

As for you question, you are good to go bud, as with all Japanese consoles the current is close enough in that any differences would be so minor they can handle the tolerance. It is only UK / Euro / PAL  electronics you need worry of as they are on an entirely different voltage that would require converting etc, honestly why I never bothered with them.  

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I once got "Snoopy and the Red Baron" for the A2600 on eBay. It unfortunately was stolen. But, fortunately, I got another copy from V61. It is the only game I had three times, and twice it was stolen. IIRC, I lost it twice. So, call me fortunate there. I still have the third copy. I also received "Pigs in Space" from eBay. I still have that one as well, ActiPlaque and all. Thanks for letting me share. :)

9 hours ago, LeeJ07 said:

This arrived in the mail today. I look forward to exploring the more unusual side of Nintendo once everything gets settled again. 

A question: Is American voltage too high for the Famicom? Will I burn it out if I plug it into any outlet?

IMG_20191105_115120190.jpg

from this: https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=6933.0

if it's an original power supply from Japan you would need an adapter

DO NOT use an origonal NES power supply as it outputs 10V AC ( not DC power )

great wright-up on power supplies in above link ;) and looks like a neat little unit you have there

25 minutes ago, chas10e said:

from this: https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=6933.0

if it's an original power supply from Japan you would need an adapter

DO NOT use an origonal NES power supply as it outputs 10V AC ( not DC power )

great wright-up on power supplies in above link ;) and looks like a neat little unit you have there

A lot of that is really technical, and I'm not sure I understand it all.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

14 hours ago, chas10e said:

all power supplies have and INPUT voltage rating and an OUTPUT voltage rating

can you post a clear pic of the power supply you have with this info ?

This is what it came with. Looks like the original adapter.

I was reading online and it said that a regular Sega Genesis Model 1 power adapter can be used instead, without having to purchase a step-down transformer thingy, so that may be what I'll do instead, since I'm too hesitant to use this adapter.

IMG_20191106_125129594_HDR.jpg

3 hours ago, LeeJ07 said:

This is what it came with. Looks like the original adapter.

I was reading online and it said that a regular Sega Genesis Model 1 power adapter can be used instead, without having to purchase a step-down transformer thingy, so that may be what I'll do instead, since I'm too hesitant to use this adapter.

IMG_20191106_125129594_HDR.jpg

Yeah that appears to be the original one and very cool, but yeah I was going to recommend using an alliterative power supply like the Genny Model 1 or or something exactly-similar.

thanks for the pic even though most everything is written in Japaneses I can tell what the input voltage (100VAC) and output voltage (10VDC) and that the center tip is negative there is also the Amp rating (860mA)

heres a pic of a couple OEM Sega power supplies:

IMG_1873.thumb.JPG.d2792e951cf71cb74a03f2b6054da474.JPG

Both input is 120VAC the output is different one each of them,  (9VDC & 10VDC), both center tip negative and the amp rating is 1.2A (or1200mA) so they will "handle the load"

this thing in the yellow box may work as well:

IMG_1874.thumb.JPG.c5205706696729f05fb59feddf7f73b4.JPG

it is rated at 850mA as well

Yea, the Famicom, while basically an NES, actually uses a slightly different Power Supply than we do here in the USA.  That original power supply is only rated for 100 volts.  American standard power outlets provide 120 Volts.  You'll fry the adapter and the Famicom if you try using that.  

Power Supplies that will work with your Famicom are model 1 Genesis adapters.  I've even heard of some using a power supply from a Sega Master System.  So if you have any adapters that can power those then you could use those on that Famicom.  I'm jealous.  Nice Famicom!  I've been after one for years now.  Very nice.  Got any games for it?

On 11/11/2019 at 11:02 PM, kamakazi20012 said:

Yea, the Famicom, while basically an NES, actually uses a slightly different Power Supply than we do here in the USA.  That original power supply is only rated for 100 volts.  American standard power outlets provide 120 Volts.  You'll fry the adapter and the Famicom if you try using that.  

Power Supplies that will work with your Famicom are model 1 Genesis adapters.  I've even heard of some using a power supply from a Sega Master System.  So if you have any adapters that can power those then you could use those on that Famicom.  I'm jealous.  Nice Famicom!  I've been after one for years now.  Very nice.  Got any games for it?

Yeah, I picked up a separate lot of 10 Famicom games for it that haven't arrived yet. 

The picture on the listing shows two Dragon Quest games and what looks like Wizardry, among others.

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'll put on my list of games to play.  Thanks for the recommendation.  It takes me forever to get through a game, but I do have fun with them.  I'll get to them all eventually!

I've been trying to get this guy to play Tunnel Runner since I got here. If he plays this Pokemon Risk game before it, I swear...

6 minutes ago, RickR said:

Tunnel Runner is on that list!

It's just soooooo goooooood! No one talks about it. It might just be a me thing but I sincerely love the game. Even my stupid, foolish, Atari-hating sister loves it! Just play the game, @RickR! No, EVERYBODY should just play the game! This is a PSA!

11 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Tunnel Runner I had way back in the late 1980s.  It's a very fun and unique game.  But it's a bit pricey these days.  Sort of crazy how that works; games back then no one could sell for a penny are all of a sudden worth tons of money.  Makes no sense to me.

I spent $20 on my copy. That's $15 more than I would consider a good price for an Atari 2600 game. But I bought the crazy-expensive Tunnel Runner because it is just. That. Good. It is funny when you look at Pricecharting.com and see Tunnel Runner sell for two or three bucks in the early days.

If I ever get the funds and the games, I would love to do a duplicate giveaway. Help other collectors looking for certain titles. I don't know, it just sounds cool and something that would make you feel good inside. Tunnel Runner I might trade for if I get a duplicate. Not getting rid of my $20 Tunnel Runner cart anytime soon! I wonder if it's gold-plated or something to make it so expensive.