Interest Check - Free working, but trashed, 5200.

RickR

** Update 4/24/17 -- The 5200 is now gone!  **

Hello all:

I have a fully working Atari 5200, but unfortunately, the case is badly messed up.  The controller-bay cover is missing, as is the bottom of the top cover.  It looks pretty shabby, but it does work.  Humorously, the silver part of the top still has the pink plastic protection on it. 

I also have a Pac Man cartridge, and I think I may have a working controller to go with it soon.

My question for this group:  Would anyone be interested if I offered this up free, but for the price of shipping?  If yes, I'll spend the time to take pictures find a working controller, and find a box large enough to ship it in.  It would be a good way to get into the 5200 scene for a low price, for those that don't mind a semi-mangled looking machine. 

If anyone is interested, please respond here, and I'll randomly choose a post (if there's more than one). 

Thanks.  :atari_5200:

Pictures of the beast.

The 5200 is missing the controller bay cover, and the front bezel.  Also the covers for 2 of the joystick ports (this is a 2 port model).  Comes with the power adapter and Pac Man

The controller.  I did my best with the parts I have.  The Reset and Pause buttons do not work (Start does).  The left bottom action button does not work.  Both right actions buttons work.  I am willing to replace the flex circuit (which will fix all buttons) for $10. 

Understand - I know this is a system with flaws -- that's why it's free (except for the cost of shipping). 

post-41-0-91968200-1460249887_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-18429900-1460249886_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-83309800-1460249882_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-56529500-1460249884_thumb.jpg

GREAT opportunity for a custom case, which could easily be made smaller than the original. If it weren't for stupid international postage I'd be all over this.

Now THAT's a great idea!

OK, now that you've seen it, is anyone still interested?

Thanks.

Still interested, but I probably can't afford the postage. :(

Then you shouldn't be interested. This is getting out of hand Lee. 

@RickR, 

I agree would be an awesome thing for a case mod, I wish I had any confidence to do that lol but not quite there. You are offering something here even though in rough shape for the cost of postage is a sweet deal for project or parts, don't compromise just make the deal with one of the guys who will pay you shipping in full once you have calculated it. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

@RickR, 

I agree would be an awesome thing for a case mod, I wish I had any confidence to do that lol but not quite there. You are offering something here even though in rough shape for the cost of postage is a sweet deal for project or parts, don't compromise just make the deal with one of the guys who will pay you shipping in full once you have calculated it. 

I agree, the case mod idea is really cool.  If someone has the intent to do that....I could remove the motherboard and just ship that.  It would save me the time of finding a giant box...and save the buyer some shipping cost. 

At a bare minimum, a "smaller" 5200 would really be something, in my opinion.  And I'm not talking about those really specialized tiny motherboards others have had custom built. 

I think you misunderstood my post.

I'm still interested, and do want it, but since I do not know the cost of postage for it to Louisiana, it's highly likely that I can't afford the postage.

When I first stated my interest, I had no idea just how *massive* it is.

I'm still intrigued, Rick, but if postage is more than $25, I'll definitely drop out.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

Archived