Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari XEs used in Hospital?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 589 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

I stumbled across these and found it to be intriguing! I wonder what exactly they used them for and how the phone jack connections work and with what. If I didn't have a million other things going on I would probably pick these up but hard telling how much they'll end up for. Typically I would say the XF551 drives alone would be worth it but seeing as how it was definitely constantly used, I wouldn't put much money on them being functional or at least much longer, if so.

http://www.ebay.com/...csAAOSw8RJXCm3L

• Video 61, RickR, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 Video 61

Video 61

Atari Sales & Service

• Verified Vendor
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

What they most likely are, are charactor generators. Atari sold quite a few, and there were companies that used charactor generating cart sand disks. They were, and in some cases, still are used in airports, apartments, hotels, convention centers, etc. If you see a monitor or t.v. when you come in the front door, that scrools anouncments, that is what they are for.

I still get inquires from users, on getting them fixed, or the software fixed. but those systems are no longer supported by software companies that i know of. A prominent one was in Canada.

Lance

www.atarisales.com

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l1600.jpg
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
  • s-l1600-5.jpg

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 4 others like this

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:52 AM

Been intersting to read UK Press reviews of the 130XE at the time and the 'fear' that Atari was pushing the system as a buisness machine, rather than gaming platform and how it'd be ignored as Atari's main focus was on the ST.....

So fantastic to see custom 130XE's being used in this manner.

#4 Video 61

Video 61

Atari Sales & Service

• Verified Vendor
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:30 AM

Been intersting to read UK Press reviews of the 130XE at the time and the 'fear' that Atari was pushing the system as a buisness machine, rather than gaming platform and how it'd be ignored as Atari's main focus was on the ST.....

So fantastic to see custom 130XE's being used in this manner.

you will cry over this one. atari had a 320k 130xe in the works, and a 512k 130xe. with a 40/80 column chip in it, that could be changed on the fly. the 512k one was supposed to be battery backed up. the xf-551, was supposed to be a 3.5 inch drive, i know the guy who talked atari out of releasing it, and they went back to a 5&1/4 inch floppy.

so many authors of magazine articles, used the 130xe. they wanted more ram, and more storage on disk. by that time, the pc's were 3.5 inch disks. atari almost, and i say almost, for once, was going to support their market share, then backed out at the end, with some bad advise to boot.

i was stunned, i asked them why, they told me if you want a business machine, buy a pc. no kidding, they were that bad at business.

• Greyfox, RickR and Lost Dragon like this

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users