Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

You know what really grinds my gears?

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

635698554060862048-1742270246_grinds-my-

I figured we could have fun with a thread where we could complain about completely mundane, first world issues.

• StormSurge likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

I'll start with a general complaint about YouTube videos, specifically retro lets play videos.

Ah, youtube...there's nothing like doing my weekly search for new retro gaming videos.  It's always exciting when you see a game you had mostly forgotten about come up on your search and it triggers a childhood memory!   

You eagerly click the link so you could walk down memory lane a bit, maybe even inspire yourself to play the game in question again someday...

But wait, whats this?   This guy doesn't know a thing about this game!   This guy hasn't done any research about it at all!  The first half of the video is them stumbling around complaining about not knowing what to do, when they've obviously never even cracked the manual!   Forget talking about the game's history, or maybe other ports that were available, this dude doesn't even know the controls!   *facepalm*  These videos usually end up with this 20-something YouTuber talking about how terrible the game is.  

• RickR, nosweargamer, RadioPoultry and 4 others like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,555 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

Doesn't really bother me, but it comes across as lame when random viewer thinks to himself "Hey. His name is The No Swear Gamer. I know what would be funny! Leaving a swear word as a comment for one of his videos!!!"

Yeah. Real original, buddy.  :unsure:

That and people who think their cool when they randomly squeal their tires on public streets.   :pole_position:

• RickR, Rowsdower70, LeeJ07 and 4 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#4 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

That and people who think their cool when they randomly squeal their tires on public streets.   :pole_position:

You know who didn't mind a little tire squealing?

• RickR, nosweargamer, AlamoAtari and 1 other like this

#5 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,107 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

Yes! That & obnoxiously revving engines. Yeah, we're all really, really impressed.  B)

• nosweargamer, Rowsdower70, AlamoAtari and 1 other like this

#6 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

So I'm an admin for a Facebook local Buy/Sell/Trade page with 12,000 members right....

Here's something that grinds my gears:  People who base their sale price on trying to recoup what they paid for it rather than it's actual worth.

Let me give you an example,  I don't know a lot about prices on tons of things...but I do know my vidya games.     A nameless member posts that he wants to sell his XBox One, only had it 3 months, wants $350 bucks for it.    I very politely tell him that he might have to drop his price if he wants to sell it because you can get them brand new with a warranty for under $300.   
"I paid 400 for it, I ain't sellin' it for that."  
8222876_no-jackie-chan-is-not-dead_3f1fc

• MaximumRD, RickR, nosweargamer and 3 others like this

#7 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

On the opposite end....how about people that really lowball items for sale? 

Example:  The Atari 400 bundle I recently sold.  I'm asking $75.  Somebody offers me $35.  No crime in asking....or is there? 

• MaximumRD and Rowsdower70 like this

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

On the opposite end....how about people that really lowball items for sale? 

Example:  The Atari 400 bundle I recently sold.  I'm asking $75.  Somebody offers me $35.  No crime in asking....or is there? 

I had a copy of PS1 Diablo up for 45 OBO.   Someone offered me $20 for it.     I guess there's no crime in asking, but when you lowball me like that you're generally not getting a second chance at a best offer. ;)

I'm cantankerous. 

• MaximumRD and RickR like this

#9 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

I had a copy of PS1 Diablo up for 45 OBO.   Someone offered me $20 for it.     I guess there's no crime in asking, but when you lowball me like that you're generally not getting a second chance at a best offer. ;)

I'm cantankerous. 

Agree completely.  I say "Pfft" and block the account from bidding. 

• MaximumRD and Rowsdower70 like this

#10 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,634 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:09 PM

Can I do another?

Also about pricing.  When someone asks if they got a good deal on something...there's always some jack@ss that says "I got mine for $5".  Without mentioning that was back in 1992 or that it was complete luck and not repeatable. 

Example: 
"I just bought an Atari 400 and 5 games for $75!"
"Dude, I got mine for $5.  You got ripped off". 

• MaximumRD, Rowsdower70 and StormSurge like this

#11 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Can I do another?

Also about pricing.  When someone asks if they got a good deal on something...there's always some jack@ss that says "I got mine for $5".  Without mentioning that was back in 1992 or that it was complete luck and not repeatable. 

Example: 
"I just bought an Atari 400 and 5 games for $75!"
"Dude, I got mine for $5.  You got ripped off". 

I think I know just the jackass that triggered this gear grinding!   The lady who passed on the 7800 complete for 60, and the guy says  "I got mine for $35 with several games, you tell me if you made the right decision."
Here's your internet cookie, pal.   I mean obviously you post something like that because you want people to stroke your ego and tell you how awesome you are.

• RickR and StormSurge like this

#12 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,156 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

Facebook right now!.........they will not load pictures............ all other sites work fine

Attached Thumbnails

• fb crash.JPG

• Rowsdower70 likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#13 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:08 AM

Not getting any problems this morning, AF...maybe a localized thing?

http://www.thesun.co...le-service.html

Looks like it caused a world wide panic!

Edited by Rowsdower70, 21 April 2016 - 12:38 PM.

• Arenafoot likes this

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

The fact that 320K Atari 8 Bit games, that require unofficial Ram pack expansions and thus are in no way a true reflection on what was commercially possible back in the day, are still being used in pointless VS debates online over which 8 Bit home micro was the best.

As an 800XL owner at the time, it was galling to see poor conversions of things like Arkanoid, Green Beret etc and yes, things like Space Harrier and Bomb Jack are bloody amazing on the A8 hardware, but they are NOT possible on a stock 800XL such as i and many others owned back then, where games are released on tape and coded for 48K models.

Yet they are rolled out time and time again as an example of A8 superiority.

Utter, utter madness, lets see stock A8 match something like C64 Battle Command for 3D or do something like Turbocharge, S.C.I or Turbo Outrun racing game wise, or Armalyte for a 2D shoot em up.

Anything yet done on A8 to match Turrican 1 and 2, Myth, I.O, Buggy Boy, Last Ninja 1-3, Cal.Games, Savage, Mega Apocalypse etc etc ?

Anyone put speech into A8 Beach Head II?

Why can't certain aspects of the A8 community just celbrate likes of Rescue On Fractulas, Dropzone, Ninja, Elktraglide etc being superior to C64 versions without resorting to 'stunts' that were way beyond what was possible when machine was commercially avaiable?

There seems to be this bizzare desire to immortalise obosolete Atari hardware, just because it's Atari...

Yes the A8 hardware had more colours, but these came with limitations on use...

Pokey was a fantastic soundchip, very versitile, but for music, SID was better.

The faster CPU speed was great for developers, but lack of sprites/pmg was a huge issue also.

Either give balanced case for, or no point bringing homebrew games into a commercial release debate...

And IF your going to bring A8 Bomb Jack to a conversion comparison thread, at least be honest to admit the C64 version was used as the base version to build on, how much more Ram A8 version needs and why etc.

Basically, by highlighting A8 versions of games written without any commercial deadlines to be met, luxury of being on hardware enhanced with upto 5X the Ram of a stock C64/800Xl and limited cart runs being a reality and thus cart can be used to store samples, pre-calculated data etc, up against commercial C64 games done on tape, with coding techniques known then, not 30 years plus hence, fanboys are doing the A8 no favours in reality.

why not simply point folks in direction of commercial A8 games with vibrant colours compared to the C64? Or those running faster 2D/3D?

or had an isometric 3D viewpoint where as C64 had to use a top down 2D viewpoint?

To me, if your pulling out the black magic coding stuff done this century, you've lost the argument before you even started.

UK rant, but hold onto yer hats...

B.T:Basically, stop trying to sell me sh*t i really do not need (ohhh a TV package, a Mobile Phone Deal, Caller I.D yadda yadda) and wake upto fact it's 2016 and Games Consoles are big buisness and thus ensure your supplied Home Hubs bloody work with them.

Ever since i had a PS3 and Home Hub 3 i've had awful, awful download speeds, despite great line speeds because when i run the Internet Connection tests on PS3 and PS4 on Hubs 3-5 i and soooo many others, inc XB1 owners get this crap:

"The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted"

Messing around with Port Forwarding does nothing, BT been aware for past 3 years+ and telling us it's not an issue/they only base speeds on PC hardware, not games consoles and suggest we buy a 3rd party router, but if we do BT will not offer any help as it's a non-standard item, is not helping.

The bloody spin/we'll happily release ABC figures when it suits US..etc that UK magazine publishers put out.

I used to subscribe to a lot of magazines:Edge, Dreamwatch, Empire, OXM, OPM,Retrogamer, Gamestm, Sci-Fi now etc, now i just get Edge and Sci-Fi now....

So Imagine Publishing who do Sci-Fi now are happy to crow about likes of How It Works:

" Imagine Publishing today celebrates the latest ABC figure for How It Works as it breaks all previous performance records and remains the company’s flagship magazine. Based on sales from July to December 2013, the independent ABC confirms average issue sales of 49,311 – an increase of 10 per cent from the previous year."

Which is great and all that, but even when i was a subscriber to RetroGamer magazine, whilst they'd happily yap about how having X on the cover of Issue Y had sold like 'Gangbusters' (what ever those are) they'd not give actual figures.

Now mag has apparently outsold Edge, erm Edge ABC figures by Edge's own admission, have always been 'niche'..try 28,051 in 2010, 24,443 in 2011..

11,735 in 2014....

To 6,347 in 2015 and you get an idea just how fast and deep the decline has been here in Uk for dedicated games magazines and whilst it's fantastic to hear a publisher isn't planning to kill off any more publications just yet (God knows we've lost enough already)...

be honest with your readership and put out ALL ABC figures, not just those that suit you or don't use them at all.

If your rivals are happy to release stats that shit a worrying decline, you should be just as brave.

I say this as a paying customer to imagine publishing and future publishing...so no bias.

I'm kinda feeling the pain of Unseen64 at moment, mentioned remember Me's origins were featured in a company profile in this months Edge, to Luca, he replied that he'd contacted the developer himself, been told interview was a go, sent Q's and never had anything back (been there myself many a time)....

GTW had similar experiences, it does sometimes annoy that a developer will happily do an interview with mainstream press as it can be used to promote latest/upcoming titles from studio and yes, they might discuss lost games, but......

If your just looking to ask what happened to annouced titles that never made it, your often left waiting for a reply that is never to arrive.

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and MalakZero like this

#15 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:12 PM

Luca just sent me a list of names he himself has secured, interviews wise for the book, nice selection, he then went onto mention those who've yet to send replies back to Q's sent.......

ALL SEVENTEEN OF THEM....

Bloody'ell, thought i'd had bad crop of luck with 7 interviews out and looking like zero chance of replies coming back in, plus 1 still locked as person needs to proof read through it.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#16 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

This absurd notion that keeps cropping up, to this bally day, in ZX Spectrum Vs C64 'debates' on UK forums that ALL C64 games ran in a blocky resolution/had washed out colours etc.

As a C64 owner who also had an Atari 800XL previousily and had friends with ZX Spectrums, i 'suggest' people look at likes of the following on C64 before commenting:

Last Ninja 1-3

Target Renegade+Renegade 3

Arc Of Yesod+Nodes Of Yesod.

Hardball, Street Fighter (USA version) , Navy Seals , Stormlord, Dragon Ninja, The platforming of Octapolis.......ARAC, Elidon, I.O, Nebulus , Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge , Armalyte etc and lets see other 8 Bit micro's do something like:

Katakis, Rubicon etc on stock hardware within a commercial deadline timescale and in 64K, on tape.....

:-)

Edited by Lost Dragon, 05 May 2016 - 01:32 PM.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

Actually starting to wonder if 'blinkers' are an essential when reading any VS thread online on a UK forum...

Adding to list of High Res C64 games already mentioned..Saucer attack (stunning backdrops, game itself poor), Bounces, Monty On The Run, Zoids, Rupert And Toymakers Party, Dizzy, PSI 5 Trading Company, shesh.......

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#18 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:56 PM

Fact that whilst the 320K A8 unofficial port of Bomb Jack is seemingly always declared the best 8 hit version, by supposed Retro experts...

If your going to play the unofficial port to 8 bit game, play it properly.

The MSX2 version from 2004, might have levels that differ from the coin op, but it looks fantastic, controls well and I believe is only home version to feature the coin ops illegal Beatles soundtrack, but yeah don't think of mentioning that port in terms of balance will you..shesh.

#19 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

Here's one:

Shared memories on Facebook.

You know you have at least one or more friends (usually moms and/or grandmothers) who share several memories daily.   Memories such as a video of their grandchild eating food, or pictures of their dog when it was just a puppy, or...well, anything really.

Chances are, I didn't care when it happened and now you're going to repost it?!   Only the politest of friends even click like while the rest of the world sighs.

• StormSurge, Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

#20 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,253 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

Ok so i know this one has been said to death already, but Goodwill prices have gotten ridiculous.

I went in to my local Goodwill yesterday and saw an original XBOX behind the counter and I got excited about playing star wars battle front 2 until I saw the price they wanted. $120, no box, 1 controller, original manual, and a xbox remote control.

I dont understand why their prices have been getting higher and higer? They know they are selling used items and still price way too high
  • RickR, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users