Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

You know what really grinds my gears?

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#21 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

$120?!?!?!  That's just silly.  Even on a 50% off day. 

I've noticed the same.  I don't mind them charging fair market value, but I think a lot of things are priced way too high.  I've seen very common NES games, for example, in the $10 -> $15 range. 

• Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

#22 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

At the goodwills here in GA (or at least the 6 i have been to) all of the video games, whether it be disk or cartridge, are always $5.05

#23 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:50 PM

Ok so i know this one has been said to death already, but Goodwill prices have gotten ridiculous.

I went in to my local Goodwill yesterday and saw an original XBOX behind the counter and I got excited about playing star wars battle front 2 until I saw the price they wanted. $120, no box, 1 controller, original manual, and a xbox remote control.

I dont understand why their prices have been getting higher and higer? They know they are selling used items and still price way too high

If you ask a manager, they will tell you they are told to....but that's not really true.   There's no uniformity, which means it's largely the manager's call.   There's several around here, and they all price differently, and the employees tell me its the managers call when there's something like a $150 Wii.   I don't mind speaking to managers about it.  I try to be friendly when I remind them that people donate stuff in good faith that they will make it affordable to people who can't afford to shop retail.  Sure would be a shame if the word got out to the local media that they are charging above retail on items being donated . (I'm kind of an asshole.)  I generally get the "Its not my call." excuse, but the item is usually marked down on my next visit. 

Many of them in bigger towns don't even mess with things like gaming, its all sent to a hub and sold online.   Your best bet is hitting the ones in smaller towns close-by.  They likely don't do auctions, and you might find some better pricing.

EDIT:  I suspect like most retail outlets, managers get some form of bonus pay based on store performance.  I could be wrong about this, but I think that's what drives some managers to price like they do.

Edited by Rowsdower70, 18 May 2016 - 12:52 PM.

• RickR, Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#24 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

How about the big ticket items that have a ebay auction printed out and taped to the item

Example i went into goodwill and say one of those expensive star wars fx lightsabers and it had an ebay auction taped to it. The auction said "buy it now for $500" and the goodwill priced it at $300
  • Rowsdower70 likes this

#25 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

EDIT: I suspect like most retail outlets, managers get some form of bonus pay based on store performance. I could be wrong about this, but I think that's what drives some managers to price like they do.

You know that would make a lot of sense if that were true
  • Rowsdower70 likes this

#26 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

I've SEEN a manager pull an item off the shelf for this reason.

It was an NES game in the case.  I asked to look at it, as I couldn't see the price.  I don't remember what game it was, but it was priced at $40, and the manager basically took it from me and said "Oh, that wasn't supposed to be in there.  These games go to the on-line auctions".  So that proves that, at least around here.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#27 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

Wow he should have seen that it was a mistake that it was on the floor, but still give you the chance to buy it

#28 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

Wow he should have seen that it was a mistake that it was on the floor, but still give you the chance to buy it

To be honest, i think I could have bought it at $40, and she pulled it from me once I said "No thanks".  I wish I could remember which game it was.  $40 was an ok price....not a bargain, but not a rip off either. 

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#29 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

All that being said, I've found some really neat treasures at Goodwill and other Thrift Stores.  From video game/computer stuff to just plain household items.  From an Atari Lynx to a canister vacuum I use in the garage (and love) and many, many other things. 

But like you all said, it's a gear grinder when they decide to price stuff outrageously. 

• MaximumRD, Rowsdower70, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#30 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

Oh man i wonder what game it was

#31 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

I still strike gold at my local store from time to time, some of which you've seen posted here.   It's a numbers game.

• RickR, Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#32 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

Star Wars BF2..HOW MUCH?

Probably because of the Star wars connection, but bloody hell, think i have it in a box somewhere on Xbox or PS2, possibly both.

Know i have both 1 and 1, plus the PSP game, sucker for Star Wars games me, but would i pay that much? hell no...

• Rowsdower70 and StormSurge like this

#33 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

No im just saying that once i saw the xbox for sale i got a hankering to play Star Wars BF2
  • StormSurge likes this

#34 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:09 AM

So they were selling the Xbox console for $120?

Thats just as bad, if not worse...

I've given away soft modded Xboxes i've had etc as they are so cheap over here, folks buy them, Mod them etc.

#35 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

Yep $120 for the xbox
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#36 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:55 AM

Sweet Mother of god...that'd make me blood boil, let alone get my gears ground, if i saw a price like that for an Xbox over here.

Think most i paid for a Crystal Xbox someone had soft modded, spent time putting loads of emulators on, was £30.

That one ended up at my folks as a DVD player for a while, not even used for that, or at all now.

I could, i'm sure of made a killing with the items i gave away, console+games wise (Neo Geo Colour, GB, PS2 etc), let alone the rare action figures, plus guy i sent the issue of Gamezone to, said he had a chap in Germany paying top dollar for old UK mags, so looking at the mountain of mags i threw out, yet more revenue there if i'd taken a different route, but to myself.....

I'd rather the mag content went to assist Lost games sites and bulk of mags themselves got recycled into something useful and in terms of hardware, games etc?

You cannot put a price on knowing they went to deserving homes.

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and jmjustin6 like this

#37 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:00 PM

Lost Dragon you definitely are a different person than most and that is what is so awesome about you! Once again thank you so much for the GB it has been played with non stop since i have gotten it
  • RickR, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#38 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

....people that confuse Memorial Day with Veteran's Day. 

• StormSurge, Lost Dragon, jmjustin6 and 1 other like this

#39 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

Shifting while forgetting to press the clutch pedal. 

• Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

#40 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

This!.....this really grinds my gears!

http://athensga.crai...5602788819.html
  • Lost Dragon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users