Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

You know what really grinds my gears?

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#41 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

:-)) I had to look up what lowball meant, being my age and not urban

When he said it's a little dirty, did he mean I dropped it in a cesspit by chance? ;-)
  • Rowsdower70 and jmjustin6 like this

#42 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

This!.....this really grinds my gears!

http://athensga.crai...5602788819.html

Was there an Alamagordo-style burial by Nintendo that we weren't told about?  Jeez.

tumblr_lx2f8nkTYZ1r98lguo1_r1_250.gif

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#43 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

And another thing "i dont have any AA batteries to test it" then go buy some!!
  • RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#44 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

I don't know...if you can prove the provenance to this guy, it might be worth that price.

pigpen.png

• Lost Dragon, jmjustin6, Ballblaɀer and 1 other like this

#45 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

Haha yess this gameboy must have belong to pig pen!!
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#46 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

My name is Rowsdower, and sometimes I'm mean on Facebook:

"I'm just trying to point out that you sound like the video game collector equivalent of a kid in high school who brags about having sex all the time. It makes people wonder if you've ever even seen a naked woman before."

• MalakZero likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#47 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:34 AM

Sorry i just need somewhere to vent.

I was at goodwill today and i found a sega gamagear. Battery pack on the back i plugged it in and it worked perfectly. Bright and noisy, but i couldnt find a price.

When i asked an employee anout a price he snatched it away from me saying it cant be sold without a price and pricing is a 24 hour process.

So now what i have to keep coming back here all day to see if its out on the floor!

#48 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

Ask for a manager.  That employee is keeping it for himself. 

When there is an item with no price that I want, I usually just go right up to the cash register to pay.  Seems like there's less shenanigans up there.  A manager usually comes up, determines a price, and sometimes you can even negotiate a little. 

#49 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

I did what you said. I found the manager and got the gamegear for an amazing $10.91. It even came with shining force
  • RickR, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#50 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:01 PM

YES!  Good job, man!  You got a steal right there.  And hopefully the "24 hour" guy will get in some trouble. 

#51 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

Yea me too. When i asked the manager for help he said "whats the problem? Youre trying to buy something? THATS GREAT! let me help this store make a sale!" We were both laughing and he apologized for the employee
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#52 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

And just to expand on what I do...i usually suggest a price that isn't ridiculous.  Like for that Game Gear, I would have said something like "I think it's worth around $15" once the manager came up to apply a price.  If you try to lowball, they won't work with you.  As in most areas of life, being honest is usually the best policy.  And never rip off a charity on purpose.  That's bad karma.  Honesty and a nice smile will get you far.  That's the RickR policy. 

There's a guy here in town that rips off stores and people whenever possible.  But now, he's got that reputation and no one will sell him anything anymore.  And now with social media and all, absolutely every thrift store and collector in town knows this guy and what to expect.  It's great.  So that guy did grind my gears, but karma caught up to him. 

Edited by RickR, 23 June 2016 - 01:08 PM.

• Rowsdower70, StormSurge, Lost Dragon and 2 others like this

#53 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

And as an example, I recently did this exact thing on the LCD TV I posted on the thrift store finds thread.  It had no price.  I took it up.  The manager said "How does $20 sound?" and I said "I was thinking $15 -- it has no power adapter" and she agreed that made sense.  Deal.  Win/win.  Note:  I made those prices up, as I don't remember the exact details. 

#54 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

And to post three times in a row (I hope that doesn't grind anyone's gears!):

It grinds my gears when people try to make deals so one sided for themselves.  Pay a fair price.  Treat everyone with respect.  If you are a reseller, say so. 

• Rowsdower70, Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

#55 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

All solid advice!   I don't haggle in Goodwill or my local thrift stores.  I take what I get at face value.   I RARELY haggle at garage sales unless its something I really want and they are way too expensive on it.   Sometimes I do try to bundle stuff at garage sales and get the price down. 

Back to what grinds my gears.  Today it is non-paying buyers on eBay.   Why man?  If you can't pay why bid?

• RickR, Lost Dragon, jmjustin6 and 1 other like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#56 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:29 PM

If you can't pay why bid?

EXACTLY!  It's so painful to have to wait to get your fees back and relist the item.  Most buyers that do this are too chicken to even respond to e-mails and cancel the order.  Because cancelling would auto-refund the fees at least. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#57 LimaTek

LimaTek

Cherry Member

• 35 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

You know what grinds me gears?!

When electronics and technology just don't work.  Oh man that makes my blood boil.

For example, you pick up a smartphone, swipe to make a call and the ONE THING a cellphone is used for decides to crash in the midst of dialing.  Like...  Why.

Or when a modern console decides to freeze, lock up or glitch-out.  Yeah that drives me nuts.

Coming from my computer science background, I'm really particular in the way things are coded and assembled, so when I see things like that happen, it just drives me nuts because I know that SOMEONE in that particular company probably knew that glitch existed or cut a certain corner on purpose and couldn't care less to fix it, so they'd just release it instead.

That, and a lot of companies now-a-days knowingly choose to hire cheap (and lousy) software engineers and cheap components to sell it at the most absolutely low price possible because so many electronics are now considered a cheap 'throw-away good', so why bother in actually making it GOOD?

Yeah, I could rant for hours regarding this....
*takes a deep breath*

• Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

#58 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:49 PM

Well with the world we live in now, The big companies making these electronics want them to be throw aways so we will go out and buy the new one hoping it will be better than the old one
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#59 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:56 PM

That's right.  Plus sometimes those engineers are not allowed to do their job properly due to time and budget constraints and end up making some tough choices. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#60 LimaTek

LimaTek

Cherry Member

• 35 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:39 PM

That's right.  Plus sometimes those engineers are not allowed to do their job properly due to time and budget constraints and end up making some tough choices. 

Yup.  Been through it first hand recently with two projects for a company I work for.  Project Managers lowball project budgets and then expect it done in an unrealistic deadline.
"We need this widget to do 30 different things, plus be new an innovative.  Oh, by the way, you only have two weeks, There's cake in the break room, okay - bye!"

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users