Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

You know what really grinds my gears?

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#141 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

....someone runs into hard times, and they have to sell some of their collection.   No fault there, happens to us all. 

Then they list their stuff all at top ebay prices.

iWKad22.jpg

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#142 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

I hate bad-mouthing people, but this really grinds my gears...

I commented on a post my sister-in-law made on Facebook. Later on when I was at work -- I'm a web developer for a living and every time I make a change I have to do a build to make the change take effect -- I did a brief Facebook check while waiting for the build to finish, and my sis-in-law had replied to my comment with a couple of comments telling me, "Call me ASAP! I lost your number!"

Now...I never know with my sister-in-law whether there's a real emergency or she's just blowing things out of proportion. Heh...recently she asked me to call her sister in the hospital because she was worried (and the way she was carrying on, you'd think her sister was at death's door), so just to calm her down I called her sister, who was practically on her way *out* of the hospital to go home! Another time she wanted me to call her, and she spent half an hour crying about some random crap about my parents (long story, but there was no reason for that), etc. Woman is just a basket case.

And she always does this stuff when my brother is away -- his job requires him to travel a lot, and he just flew out to Baltimore for a training session for his job.

So...thinking that if I called her, she'd keep me on the phone forever and I'd have to come up with an excuse to hang up ("I have to go into a meeting!" etc.) -- I'm not the kind of person to just angrily hang up on people -- so I figured I'd compromise. I sent her a text and said, "I can't talk right now, but I'll call you when I can. What's going on?"

The reason I had to call her ASAP: she was trying to get concert tickets for her sister, and Ticketbastard's web site was jammed. And she wanted me to try.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

So yeah...apparently I don't have a job or anything that would make me busy. Apparently I have time to deal with that.

ARHGHGHGHHHGHHRHGRHGHH....

And later I heard she did the same to my niece (her stepdaughter)....

Oh, and...I blocked her on Facebook. Man....made me so angry that I had to have some booze, and now I'm watching Oliver!....on a Friday night. This is what people do to me sometimes.

Edited by dauber, 25 February 2017 - 01:49 AM.

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#143 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

Well, the good news is some booze and Oliver!  is a pretty decent evening. :)

• Lost Dragon likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#144 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

Truth be told, I only survived the first 30 minutes of Oliver! and then remembered that I pretty much hate musicals (except Hair) and wanted to do something else.

#145 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

So I got excited that they were opening a game room/mini-golf/laser tag place locally called Tilt.
Then this happened:
E8GDvEA.jpg

• RickR, nosweargamer, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#146 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Shoulda called it Jilt.
  • Rowsdower70, Lost Dragon and dauber like this

#147 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Roswdower70, I can almost promise you they'll have one or more of the following:

- Class of 1981 Reunion

- Big Buck Hunter

- Golden Tee

- Deal or No Deal

Edited by dauber, 24 April 2017 - 08:27 AM.

• nosweargamer and Rowsdower70 like this

#148 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

FOLLOW-UP:

HA!!! Check out their Waco location:

http://www.aurcade.c...view.aspx?id=15

Did I call that or what? :)

• nosweargamer and Rowsdower70 like this

#149 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,277 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

You know what really grinds my gears? How fast Goodwill throws stuff away!

So after work today i went to the goodwill down the street to see what they had. I saw the friend of a friend working today and she knows what i come in looking for. I asked her if they had gotten any gaming stuff in. she said you know i just saw an atari back there hold on

So im waiting she come back and says she cant find it. the electronics manager walks by she grabs him and asked where did it go. He said he THREW IT OUT because he couldn't get it hooked up to any of the tvs they had (modern tvs). I said where i can go get it. He says he threw it in the compacter. He said he threw it in there and turned it on. So its destroyed

So i had to ask him did he know what kind of atari it was? He said yea the box said 5200 on it. Hold up! Hold up! The box!?! He says yea it came with the original box and the power plug was in its original box and everything was still wrapped up in its original wrapping and the box was in excellent shape.

He said they had a rule that if there is no way to test the electronics than they are to throw them away. Heres the kicker! I asked him if he knew what was needed to hook up the 5200 to a modern tv. He said yea one of those small coax adapters. But because he didnt have one there was no way to test it and it had to be thrown away.

I asked if they get atari stuff alot. He say occasionally they do, but most if the time it gets thrown away cause they cant test em. He said he would hold any for me in the future though

I still feel sick about all of this. Sorry for my long rant today and thank you if you read it all
  • Rowsdower70 likes this

#150 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Oh man, that's horrible J.  That policy sucks.  What a terrible waste. 

• Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

#151 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, I hope you gave him a hard time, or at least let him know about this thing:

large_42_rca_ftype_detail_large.jpg

• Lost Dragon likes this

#152 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,277 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

Yeah, I hope you gave him a hard time, or at least let him know about this thing:

large_42_rca_ftype_detail_large.jpg

I sure did i pulled a pic up on my phone and showed it to him. My friend who works there felt really bad
  • Lost Dragon and dauber like this

#153 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

...when I'm looking on eBay for some game lots to replenish my stock and I see "SNES Lot" with a cheap starting bid. 

So when I click on it, what I actually get is a drop down menu of several games, the price listed is the cheapest in the lot (Insert SNES sports title nobody wants), and if there were any decent prices they are long gone.

Anyone else see those?   There must be a way to filter that out when I search for "lots". 

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#154 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

...when I'm looking on eBay for some game lots to replenish my stock and I see "SNES Lot" with a cheap starting bid. 

So when I click on it, what I actually get is a drop down menu of several games, the price listed is the cheapest in the lot (Insert SNES sports title nobody wants), and if there were any decent prices they are long gone.

Anyone else see those?   There must be a way to filter that out when I search for "lots". 

Grinds my gears too.  Anything with a price range I just pass right over, as it's usually a case like this. 

#155 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

.....podcasts or YouTubers who cover modern gaming. 

Retrogamers rarely cover anything other than retro games.   Very seldom is there every any drama involved.   Just information and entertainment.

But I'm also a modern PC gamer, so I do watch some PC gaming channels.    If there's ANY YouTube or  Game development drama, they (and every other channel) will do half a dozen videos about the DRAMA.   

Most recently some girl wrote some music for a game (one nobody has ever heard of), claims she didn't get paid for it so she's using DCMA claims to take down videos even though she owns nothing.

Maybe worth a blurb on your modern PC channels, but several guys (Sterling, SidAlpha, TotalBiscuit) have now done (all together) almost TEN vids on the subject.

Meanwhile there's a huge Steam summer sale going on....but by all means, tell us more about the drama.  

Retrogamers might do ONE video on some scandal (Coleco chameleon for example) but generally move on quickly to cover subjects at hand.

Can we blame this on their younger audience that thrive on drama?   Is it because it gets them hits?   I know it is a well known tactic for a smaller channel to viciously attack bigger ones for views and subs.

What a mess...

Edited by Rowsdower70, 26 June 2017 - 07:54 AM.

• nosweargamer and Lost Dragon like this

#156 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,663 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

Most recently some girl wrote some music for a game (one nobody has ever heard of), claims she didn't get paid for it so she's using DCMA claims to take down videos even though she owns nothing.

Actually, assuming she did write the music, she does own it, unless there is a written contract where she granted them the ownership or rights to use it and they fulfilled their end of the deal. Also, if it's her creation, she may still have the rights to makes claims against videos that go against fair use that contain here music. For instance, if someone posted a clip from a movie that contained a song from a popular band, that band would most likely have the right to make a claim against that clip since it is still there song.

Can we blame this on their younger audience that thrive on drama?   Is it because it gets them hits?   I know it is a well known tactic for a smaller channel to viciously attack bigger ones for views and subs.

Drama tends to sell and in this case they are just giving what the majority of their audience wants. I wish it wasn't that way. I remember one viewer complained when I posted this little Easter Egg for Mike's Tyson's Punch Out asking why I didn't simply add it to my review of the game instead. However, as of today the Easter Egg has almost five times the views, so obviously that is what my audience wants and the most likely would have missed the Easter Egg if I only included it in my review.

It's funny. Sometimes my standard reviews, which I enjoy making the most, but also take more work, get far less views than some of my videos that don't involve as much work. It would be nice if the harder I worked on a video, the more views it got, but that's just not always the case. So some channel "get it" and tend to give what their viewers want, especially if it means less work.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#157 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

Actually, assuming she did write the music, she does own it, unless there is a written contract where she granted them the ownership or rights to use it and they fulfilled their end of the deal. Also, if it's her creation, she may still have the rights to makes claims against videos that go against fair use that contain here music. For instance, if someone posted a clip from a movie that contained a song from a popular band, that band would most likely have the right to make a claim against that clip since it is still there song.

She did the music as an employee and doesn't own anything she could issue a DMCA claim on.  She's filing copyright claims on the videos based on the game itself. 
At this point I know WAY more about it than I want to know!

The guy who does the channel RetroPlay and I were talking about how his "Top 5 X rated Atari Games" video has WAY more views than any of his others.   People click on strange things.

Edited by Rowsdower70, 26 June 2017 - 10:02 AM.

• nosweargamer and Lost Dragon like this

#158 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

:) oh there are CERTAIN Retrogamers who do YT vids just for the WAHHHH...

Usually WAHHH i approached them to write an article, they had never heard of me, weren't impressed by my 'work' (well you copied n pasted it from others, so WTF did you expect?)...so i'm going to rip into it based on that...

Why they have so many subs is beyond me, but hey, da net :)

• Rowsdower70 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users