Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

M2: The $100M Console That Never Happened

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,206 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:19 AM

M2: The $100M Console That Never Happened

http://www.nowgamer....never-happened/

DSC03721_20.jpg

• atarilbc, Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#2 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:04 AM

You know, I had two 3DO M2s about 10 years ago. I wish I had hung on to them. I didn't have any software etc. for them so I let them go.

• Arenafoot, atarilbc, Clint Thompson and 1 other like this

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

I sent all my UK Press clippings about Bulldog/3DO M2 to Unseen64, so i'll have to put links up if/when he posts content up, but i do recal claims that:

Launch titles were going to include likes of:

Wing Commander IV/Descent/Return Fire II/Top Gun/Madden'98/Road Rash/NHL Hockey/Olympic Soccer, plus a beat-em-up from Williams.

Likes of Capcom and Crystal Dynamics at that point undecided what 1st wave M2 titles would be.

Also an enhanced version of PS1 Disruptor (it itself originally a 3DO Mk 1 title) would be there.

There was also developer talk of concerns the industry coders would just use M2 to get coding experience under their belts, ready for new wave of hardware from Sony, Sega etc and as soon as those systems appeared, they'd leave M2 and jump ship, as apparently this had happened with 3DO, people jumped to PS1 and Saturn, leaving 3DO behind.

• Arenafoot and Clint Thompson like this

#4 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 602 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

I wasn't much of a 3DO fan but I do remember the M2 catching my attention and really liking the boxy console design. I could see how hanging onto a piece of hardware that only has a very limited handful of demos or half-coded games would be difficult, especially if you're a gamer and not just a hardcore collector. Having a $1,500 piece of hardware sitting on the shelf collecting dust is hard to justify when it could be much better used elsewhere.

What a strange controller hybrid mixup...

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:44 AM

There are 'connections' between the Jaguar and M2, in terms of software.

The systems planned Zelda Killer, Power Crystal, started off as Artemis, coming from newly formed studio, Springer Spaniel Software with Jaguar AVP's Andrew Whittaker having left Rebellion once AVP was finished.

Game was originally down for PC CD, with conversions PLANNED for Saturn/PS1 and Jaguar CD by end of 1996.

These plans were changed when 3DO company gave the studio key support and thus game itself changed direction and became a M2 exclusive.

Early shots shown were utter fakes, running in higher resolution etc than final M2 hardware would offer.

Then you have the hidden message in PS1 Tempest X's hidden T2K cheat mode that a version of Tempest 2000 was ported to the M2, just for the fun of it.

Plus Jaguar CD WTR coder had been quoted as saying M2 would of been far more (technically) impressive than the Jaguar MK 2 hardware.....

• Clint Thompson likes this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

The IMSA World Championship Racing has Atari connections as well:

Ed Rotberg was the director of the game (think Battzlezone, Star Wars), lead coder was Chuck Sommerville (Chips Challenge etc), plus physics and driving engine licensed from Hard Drivin coin-op.......

People often seem to quiz likes of Chuck on the released/or unreleased Atari stuff, but never dig deeper into non-Atari platforms he and others worked on.

Massive missed opp.in my view.

• RickR and Clint Thompson like this

#7 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

I wasn't much of a 3DO fan but I do remember the M2 catching my attention and really liking the boxy console design.

I felt totally the same way. I was a Jaguar fan all the way since it was announced, I saw 3DO as its primary competitor and rooted for the Jaguar to beat it in sales. 3DO didn't do much for me in 1993-1994, but when 3DO M2 rolled around I thought it was appealing with vastly improved graphics and a nice looking console. With Atari out of the picture I was excited about the M2 and was going to reserve one at Babbages. When the M2 didn't come out it became one of those big disappointments, a void where something really could that "could have been" but never was. This is what drove me to pick up two M2 prototypes in the early 2000s but without anything to play it was ultimately unfulfilling. 

This also burnished my appreciation for the 7800, in that it too was almost one of those things that never happened, had it not been resurrected in 1986.

• Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

Even though i never owned 1, original 3DO will always hold a special place in my heart.

Any machine that played host to titles like:

Return Fire/The Horde/Star Fighter/ Space Hulk etc deserves respect.

Plus likes of MGS/Soviet Strike/Disruptor/Blood Omen:Legacy Of Kain all started out on 3DO, so as a PS1 owner (the format where i got to enjoy and love all the above, bar The Horde, which i had on the Sega Saturn), i do have a lot to thank the 3DO for.

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:26 PM

The 1 3DO M2 rumour i'd love to have confirmed is this:

That the person behind the deal which saw Trip Hawkins sell the M2 technology to Matsushita, for a sweet $100 Million was subsequently demoted and put in charge of a fish cannery as a result.

The M2 technology, is said to have found itself used in media players, Chevrolet and Chrysler car presentation units, coffee machines, Russian ATM's a 3D house building system........as well as the arcades.

• Clint Thompson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users