VIC-20 Multicart

RickR

Behr-Bonz multicart -- more info here:  http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7513

This thing is absolutely glorious, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has a VIC-20.  $46 shipped to the US is a bargain.  127 games.  

For those that aren't familiar with the VIC-20 as a gaming console...it's actually quite good.  Comparable to an Atari 2600...maybe a touch better IMO.  Keep in mind, the VIC chip at the heart of the system was originally designed for game consoles (a similar story to the Amiga several years later).  The multicart has all of the best games:  Pac Man, Choplifter, Battlezone, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Mutant Camels, Lode Runner, Omega Race, AE, Pole Position, Defender, Shamus, etc etc. 

I'm telling you, I absolutely LOVE this thing.  Just plug in a joystick and play.  It's great.  It even includes a reset button. 

Good stuff.

I didn't know the Battlezone port was so solid for the Vic-20.

The few games I played on it had the cool but lumbering graphics style and gameplay as Artillery Duel.

But mad props and respect for this little-computer-that-could.

Its beginner's appeal with programming design possibilities made it a threshold into the DIY nature of video games, as they were popping up everywhere seemingly straight from the minds of enthused players.

Took a few tries of copying pages of code into the Vic and the C64 to dissuade me of any notions of talent in that area.

But it impressed us with the possibility that maybe someday...

Judging by the amount of games available on that multi-cart, seems folks were pretty busy making this work for the Vic.

ah, good memories...

Had a computer class teacher named Victor something.

A big no-prize to who can guess his nickname among students.

Archived