Rumors that the NX will be cartridge based

leolinden

I think that it will be a multi platform system, like a ds and a disk system. That makes sense. I can also see something similar where it's digital download or cloud based. They need a heavy third party support, a dramatic change could be bad news for Nintendo.

Cartridge based would not be too bad.  Cartridges rarely go bad from scratches so it would not be a bad move from a buyer point of view.  I would gladly buy a cart-based system from Nintendo again over a disc-based system.  I never trusted discs as a video game medium from the beginning because all too often I have bought used discs where scratches were everywhere keeping the game from being used.  Better third-party support like EA, Activision, Konami, and bigger publishers/developers would help them dearly.  Bringing the likes of Minecraft and Terraria to the next Nintendo system would be beneficial to both parties.

I'm not sure about about carts... Don't they have storage constraints? I know the N64 had far less storage capacity on its carts than the Playstation did on its disks.

Also, I fear for the 3DS. While I well realize that the 3DS is a 5 year old system, on its last legs, I only FINALLY managed to get one this past December. Please, please, Nintendo, don't discontinue the 3DS in 2017. I want to be able to enjoy about two years of new releases and full support for all the web based services on it before it gets consigned to the bargain bin.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

The NX might find itself alienating those who use console for multimedia, not just games....

I guess it will really depend on price Nintendo charge for games, IF they come on custom carts.

Aren't there already an overly excessive amount of options for any multimedia devices as it is? There are a ton of devices that most people already own that do jus that and to be honest, I'm kind of irritated that my TV, BluRay player already both have apps as it is on top of every other device I own. I suppose it's ok for people wanting Netflix access in every single room of the house but that's not for me.

It would be nice for a company to release an actual dedicated game console for once instead of wasting efforts into the countless options to view videos or listen to media on the same device. It kind of made sense 10 years ago because the options were limited - now it's in every single device you buy and it's too much.

As far as the NX - 32GB ROM? Holy crap. I really hope they have the hardware capable of pushing said amount of data around or the need rather. I consider Nintendo a 4th option right now. In order of ranking gaming when it comes to modern platforms for me, it's: PC, Sony, MS, Nintendo. Even my daughter has basically given up on wanting to play the 3DS anymore but maybe that'll change.

Nintendo will have to do something really amazing to surpass what the Wii did. Maybe they'll try a completely different approach and it will work for them and can't see Nintendo jumping on the VR bandwagon but I really don't know what to expect. They're going to have to do something to set themselves apart from everyone else.

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

Lee - I recall Nintendo supporting the DS far past the launch of the 3DS, so I except that you will at least get another 2 years out of it, even if a price drop happened.

Nintendo tends to target general consumer (specifically kids and families) rather than hard core gamers. They don't seem to care about technical aspects, just that they are able to get mom and dad to by the next "Mario & Pokemon" system for their kid. And I don't see the average consumer caring if the the game is on a cart or disc, as seen with 3DS software. Blu Ray support would be nice, but just like the Wii with non DVD support, the system doesn't need it and most consumers who want a Blu Ray player already have one.

As far as premium online support, I don't see Big N taking the big dive into it just yet. Targeting kids means keep things simple for parents. The closest I see is the "Free to Play, but Spend for Extras" model they have started with Steel Battalion and Badge Arcade. I could be wrong, but I would be shocked to see N introduce a premium online model.

Win or Lose, Nintendo goes by the beat of their own drum. They have a model that is set up to make money even if they run a distant third in the console race. For the foreseeable future, I don't anticipate Nintendo to ever release a cutting edge system technically speaking, but rather continue to focus on innovative gameplay as seen with the Wii-motes, Dual Screens, Touch Screens and Wii-U gamepad.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

And that's why, regardless what everyone else says, I love Nintendo. They don't conform. They innovate. They're willing to try wacky. Nintendo is... Fun. I like Sony, don't get me wrong, but it has a VERY different feeling. Sony, and Microsoft, are far more corporate.

Nintendo has never... Never disappointed me. Granted, I've only had experience with a fraction of their ground breaking creations, but can't say it enough.

Nintendo, you keep it up, man. I love your unadulterated whimsy. You are a breath of fresh air when everybody else is all FPS and blood and gore.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

Yeah, I only see the SNES as the only system that truly pushed the technological envelope compared to the Genesis, but then again, it did come out 2 years later than the Genesis and for such a large gap, it wasn't really that much better.

And while the N64 had its strengths, not going with optical discs is still a head scratcher.

And you're right, Nintendo doesn't often create new tech but simply pioneer the effort to make it successful for the mass market.

As long as they got Mario, Zelda, Super Smash and smart financial planning, I see them staying in the gaming marketplace beyond Microsoft and Sony.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Archived