Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari promises ST Console Mid 1989 - TGM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 628 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:59 AM

Scan provided by Lost Dragon - Enjoy!

Is this what would eventually become the Panther and then scrapped for the Jaguar instead? Or is this maybe the answer to the unkown Mirai casing?

st_console.jpg

• The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

Going purely off memory here (and i believe we in UK had far more 'press' on Panther as it was, than you guys in the USA) this is NOT the 1st leak of what would of been the Panther technology, but an ST chipset based console itself.

That didn't start to begin (and i'm not sure IF i've put the scan in), until a report from Atari in UK news, quoting Sam Tram. (i think) updating (and i use the word in a very broad means here) UK press confirming the new super console Atari was working on, was NOT based on ST hardware as previousily reported, but at this stage he could not go into details about just what it actually was based on.......

Typical vague claim by Atari as ever.

After that, tech specs on Panther started to appear in UK Press, these mag scans are on memory stick i will be sending you.

After these came annoucement Panther was canned in favour of Jaguar.

After that..The One looking at Panther, Jeff Minters Tech Demo's and the FALSE claims Domark were working on Pitfighter.

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:26 AM

It could indeed of been what was planned for this:

But i personally feel any console based on existing ST technology would of really struggled...

Soundchip and scrolling would of been poor by 16 Bit console standards, if you were asking say European developers to port existing STFM games to console, control methods would need to be redesigned for mouse based games.

Releasing the STE hardware as a console might of been a better idea, on paper, but again it wasn't even A500 spec in areas.

Panther itself was poor by design terms, sounded fantastic on paper until you looked at limited Ram, bottle necks in system, rumours Atari were going to replace the soundchip with weaker, cheaper chip...

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

I'd hazzard a guess this MIGHT have been Project Robin?

Rob Zdybel's attempt to convince Atari to put ST hardware into an XE shell, flog it as a cheap console, with its ST conversions of things like Moon Patrol, Battlezone, Missile Command, Super Breakout, Asteriods Deluxe etc (which got SLAUGHTERED at review here in UK, in C+VG and TGM, scores of 51%, 49%, 34%, 24% etc, games might have been cheap, under £15, but they were seen as too old, too simple for what was expected from 16 Bit hardware at that time).

Joust fared better (71% TGM) as did Crystal Castles (81% TGM) and i believe Millipede was at least planned and you guys in the USA got an ST port of Robotron, but it was awful?

http://www.google.co...4sh9_-1f4yjTsRg

Edited by Lost Dragon, 21 June 2016 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users