Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Replacing a 5200 controller flex circuit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,623 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

Well, I took the dive and gave this a try.  I had a controller whose start/pause/reset circuit was clearly broken on the flex circuit.  Purchased a new flex circuit on ebay.  Carefully pulled the old circuit out and put the new one in.  And viola, it works perfectly now.  The controller is probably very close to what it was brand new.  A worthy little project.

Tips:  It probably goes without saying to start with a controller that has a rubber boot in good shape, and whose directional controls are functioning normally. 

• AtariBrian, chas10e and kamakazi20012 like this

#2 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 966 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:34 AM

Yep...definitely a cool little weekend project to do.  I still have some new Rev 9 flex circuits tucked away for later.  I need to find alternatives to the POTs in these controllers because I have one controller that the POTs are almost gone.  I've checked them and tried to rebuild them but there are deep grooves on the circuit board inside the POTs from repeated use and it causes undesired movements.

#3 Willie!

Willie!

Pretzel Member

• 371 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

I have been upgrading mine to the Gold flex circuit and contacts, the one here in this video I still running great!

• RickR and Retrogamer81081 like this

My Youtube Channel Arcade USA! - https://www.youtube.com/user/SVT512

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users