Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Paperboy Review - Atari Lynx / Sega Master System - Raze - Christmas 1990

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 579 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

Scan provided by Lost Dragon - Enjoy!

Atari_Lynx_Sega_Master_System_Paperboy_Review.jpg

• Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

I've played Paperboy on numerous formats over the years, from the dissapointing C64 version, to those on the Retro compilations etc on various formats and for myself, once you take it away from it's dedicated coin-op cabinet, a lot of the impact is simply lost.

Whilst it's unlikely the Lynx version was, as Gamestm claimed, simply a conversion from the ST version (Lynx coder himself didn't seem 100% sure, but seemed to think he coded it from scratch) and why on earth Atari never released the finished and delivered 7800 version Andrew H.wrote (and now sadly seems lost for ever...) i will never know......

I do tend to find myself nodding in line with reviewers comments, game simply was too old and had been converted to enough formats already, to get me giddy about prospect of playing yet another version, this time on the Lynx.

I wanted Atari to either bring fresh I.P's to the Lynx and/or release ye oldie conversions like this as a double pack at least, rather than single release at full price.

#3 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 579 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, it really makes me think where Atari could have excelled with the Lynx and brought some really colorful arcade conversions. When I think of games I would have most definitely wanted, Marble Madness would have been one as well. It's like Atari started to slowly revive the Lynx by developing and releasing a few new games but then gave up quickly. Had no idea a 7800 version of Paperboy was completed, shame it never made it. Looks like Toki was found and is finally getting a release for it though - the 7800 that is.

• Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:26 PM

The Lynx really need a lot more games in key areas than it sadly got and often those it did recieve, whilst fantastic on a technical level, either lost a lot of the impact being converted from arcade to the small screen (Hard Drivin, Paperboy etc) or simply were not suited to handheld play as the y lacked a password save option (Dracula, SOTB etc) and it's decisions like this that to myself suggest either Atari failed to understand the handheld market or simply didn't care.

If the stories are true and a tech demo of Elite was shown to Atari and Atari turned the concept down (either thinking genre wouldn't work or wouldn't pay to licensce the rights....) then another massive missed opp.

When i look at the Lynx, what Atari promised us, next to what they actually delivered, it often seems conversions went to cheapest tender.

Lynx Double Dragon could of been so so much more if someone other than Telegames had handled it.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 26 May 2016 - 04:29 PM.

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

I know they were just UK Press claims, but claimed titles like:

Strider II (mixed reviews, some press loved the ZX Spectrum and ST versions, others hated them and the other versions), Cal Games 2 (not a patch on the original) would of done the Lynx no favours either.

Things like  Daemonsgate, might well of helped fill the RPG gap, but then you look at games origins:

http://www.gamesthat...nightbreed-rpg/

Along with  it's troubled history and see like Viking Child, these were to be the start of a trilogy of games, it's clear sales would never of seen sequels green lit, Lynx User base would of simply been far too small.

As for 7800 Paperboy, yep, sad but true :-(

Full story here:

http://shinobiman.pr...usive-interview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users