Thought I would Introduce Myself :)

LimaTek

Hello folks from Atari.io!

Some of you may already know me from my previous forum post under the hardware section: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/2062-limatek-1-a-new-pong-machine/

I thought I would introduce myself in a little bit more detail :)

My name is Frank, I'm an embedded software engineer and computer engineer with a background in animation! I studied eight years at California State University Long Beach (yup... eight years - eesh!)

With both of my backgrounds (artistic and technical) I like to design and create things, I've always had an affinity for technology in the 70's and 80's, and thus, retro games and computing.

I've also had my work shown on television, such as Comedy Central and have worked on animated pilots (as I am an animator too!)

Recently I decided to put both skill sets to work and started researching the architecture of the Atari systems and NES and came up with a pong machine prototype (as you will see in the link), and I thought to myself, "Huh! I think I may be onto something!" and decided to do some outreach regarding the pong machine or 'LimaTek 1' console to see what people thought.  So far it's been very positive and hopefully I'd like to eventually sell these little guys as kits or completed systems - that would be awesome.

Anyway - that's me! Just an artsy/eccentric technical guy who absolutely loves retro gaming!  The Atari.io community has just been so awesome and I'd like to thank you all for the warm introductions and support :)

Welcome to the best atari forum out there, Frank.    You're from my neck of the woods, eh?  Good to have you!

Dude! I'm digging that Atari.io thumbnail pic!

Nice to have another west coaster out there! If you're from California, I sometimes hang out at Eighty Two or Neon Arcade.  Two of the best retro arcades out in Los Angeles in my opinion :D

Dude! I'm digging that Atari.io thumbnail pic!

Nice to have another west coaster out there! If you're from California, I sometimes hang out at Eighty Two or Neon Arcade.  Two of the best retro arcades out in Los Angeles in my opinion :D

West Coast meetup? West Coast meetup!

post-1006-0-47206800-1464824086.jpg

"Mmmrrrrrrhhhh.....game.....gooooood....."

Hello folks from Atari.io!

Some of you may already know me from my previous forum post under the hardware section: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/2062-limatek-1-a-new-pong-machine/

I thought I would introduce myself in a little bit more detail :)

My name is Frank, I'm an embedded software engineer and computer engineer with a background in animation! I studied eight years at California State University Long Beach (yup... eight years - eesh!)

With both of my backgrounds (artistic and technical) I like to design and create things, I've always had an affinity for technology in the 70's and 80's, and thus, retro games and computing.

I've also had my work shown on television, such as Comedy Central and have worked on animated pilots (as I am an animator too!)

Recently I decided to put both skill sets to work and started researching the architecture of the Atari systems and NES and came up with a pong machine prototype (as you will see in the link), and I thought to myself, "Huh! I think I may be onto something!" and decided to do some outreach regarding the pong machine or 'LimaTek 1' console to see what people thought.  So far it's been very positive and hopefully I'd like to eventually sell these little guys as kits or completed systems - that would be awesome.

Anyway - that's me! Just an artsy/eccentric technical guy who absolutely loves retro gaming!  The Atari.io community has just been so awesome and I'd like to thank you all for the warm introductions and support :)

Welcome Lima!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Welcome! Those are some cool prototypes you posted. Maybe you'll be the one to make the "new retro" console! That would be cool do develop for. I'll keep an eye on it. 

Also, what shows have you worked on?

Thanks! Yeah that's the idea eventually, I have been studying the architectures of Atari and Nintendo systems to build my own.  Man those older Atari 2600 units were INCREDIBLY clever in design.  They had so little to work with in terms of speed and memory, they really tried to make every byte work for them and even some neat tricks by fooling around with the drawing / refresh rate of the television set.  The Pong Machine I designed does that too.  The scoreboard above draws every 2nd frame where the pong paddles and ball draw every frame.  It saves on memory and allows the game to be as fast as possible.

My latest show that I helped work on was TripTank (Season 2), I was their technical animator for a few shorts.  Had a fantastic time.

Archived